Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Couples Negril (Scuba Diving)

Does anyone have any Scuba Diving stories to share from Couples Negril? First time divers and we want to know what to expect. Anyone else going to be at CN the week of june 15th-21st?

I am not a diver my husband is and as you know Jamaica is not known for diving like Cozumel, Bonaire etc. but trust me you will have a wonderful experience! The dive crew (Suga, English, Brian) will treat you like gold and bring you to some amazing places. We have known these guys for over ten years and they are wonderful! They will bring you to some of the great spots in the Negril area. We will be there during that time - so I am sure you will diving with the hubby as he goes on all trips. The night dive is pretty amazing as well. OOohhhh I cannot wait to go back home and see my dear friends once again! See you soon!

I was just at CN from Apr 18th thru Apr25 and got certified while I was there. The cost was $365 for the PADI certification. The diving was awesome and I did a total of 9 dives that week. The diving is all included except for the night dive which I did and the cost of that was $50 but totally worth it. The night dive we saw sea turtles, lobster, crab and numerous other fish you do not see in the day. On the day dives we saw a 10' nurse shark on 2 different dives. The equipment is all in great condition and the instructors were GREAT. I would strongly recommend diving at CN as it was as good or better than the resort dives I have done in Mexico and Ocho Rios. You should definately do it and you won't be dissapointed.

My brother and his wife are going with us to CN for the first time june 18 - 25. We both dive and look forward to diving with James. Dorothy do you go in the boat with James when he goes diving? Getting excited...the countdown is on!!!!

Default Cold Water BC divers headed for Couples Negril

We are going to be at Couples Negril 19th December until the 30th and hope to get as many dives in as we can while on Vacation. We have been to Negril many times but have only vacationed and not dove,,,so this will be different!

We have heard so much about the dive guys and are looking forward to meeting them. Warm awesome viz blue water will be a treat,,,,its been a year since our Mexico Trip so,,this will be fun!

Can't wait for Caribbean night and those gorgeous lobsters,,, Callaloo , and those crunchy Festivals! YUMMM!

Ya Mon!
    Mebe Catchyou Laater!

Diving at CN is the BEST.
    You get to the dive shack about 8:30 8;45 and pick up your BC and Reg and If you need flippers and mask make sure you have let the guys know the DAY BEFORE you dive and it will be ready for you Richard, Alain, or Ashryan will hand you your gear. They will take the tanks onto Bubbles for you. You will wade out to bubbles(the dive boat). Find a tank and put your BC and reg on, then get a weight belt and weights. If you are not sure on how much weight you think you need as any of the dive masters, they are more than willing to help you out. Once everyone is finished putting their gear together there will be a dive profile that the dive masters go though with the group. They will make sure you are buddied up and will check your tank,reg, and make sure your ready before you take a giant stride into the water. They will make sure eveyone is in and together before they give the signal to go down. Once down they will again make sure you are alright. We have done over 90 dives with these guys, they are the best. Safe, fun and very experienced. They gear is in very good order. So have fun,enjoy and great diving.

Just fyi- they may or may not let non-diving spouses on the boat. It all depends on space!
    Jamie & David
    CN 11/2005 & 10/2008 & 11/2011
    CSS 9/2007, 9/2009, 9/2010, 11/2011, 9/2012, 9/2013
    CTI 9/2013

this will be my first trip to CN. I am a diver and usually take my own gear to places. Since it appears that everything is already provided, should I just use their stuff? Should I bring anything of mine, like maybe my mask or light or wetsuit???

first time at an all inclusive resort

We will be back home to CN in 5 days for our 5th trip . We dive twice a day every day and have over 90 dives in at CN. The Gear is A ok at the dive shop I just bring my mask and fins as they are a part of me . As far as a wet suit , we have only ever use a T shirt but 80 deg F water is like a bathtub when you dive mostly in The Great White North. The Dive crew is the best you will ever find . We ill be at CN for Christmas and then again for two weeks at the end of Febuary.

We did CN for the first time in Sept and brought our own equipment but dove the last morning dive using their stuff so ours could dry for the trip home. It was fine (except I hate weight belts ) but it was okay at 90ft with just a bathing suit & rash guard. For one dive anyway. Still liked my 3mm full wetsuit for warm and protection when doing 2 dives/day for 5 straight days.

You will love the guys there. They are the best. I also like how they separate the course divers (resort and certification) off the 9am & 1:30pm dives with the certified divers. They go out at 11am and only joined us on our last day once they were certified. The larger number of divers (13) also had them spilt us into two groups (OW & AOW) to two different dive sites. Perfect! Actual first time all week our morning dive was below 60ft.
    Betty
    Couples Negril - September 2011, 2012, 2013 and have just booked 2014
    Scuba Club Cozumel - Jan, Apr & Nov 2012 and Jan & Nov 2013
    Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman - May 2013
    Retiring & moving to Cozumel, Mexico in early 2014

SCUBA is very good at CN. I have been a diver for 38 years and have dove all around the world. Diving here was
    surprisingly good. The crew were wonderful and the equipment was very well maintained. The reef was not too far away from the resort and the depth was in the 60's. Last year at 45 feet, a huge dolphin came right up to us. Maybe weighed half a ton. Just curious to watch us from about 50 feet away. Incredible. Also did an optional
    night dive for $50 extra that was very well worth it.

Their gear is very good

Anyone like to share some underwater pictures, as I didn't have a camera....

How long does it take to become PADI certified at CN? Would that detract from our vacation and enjoying CN if we try to get certified while there? We are only there 6 nights - our first time to a Couples Resort. Very excited! We leave in 8 days for Jamaica!!!

Question about cameras for the diving and other water sports..... I've read on the board about a DicaPac case. Does this REALLY work for going underwater, or is it better just for the water sports and Dunn River? Would we be better off with just a disposable waterproof camera? We don't want to spend the money on a nice underwater camera as we would hardly use it outside of our trip.

Any experience or suggestions would be great! 52 days and counting

Quote Originally Posted by D&A913 View Post
    Question about cameras for the diving and other water sports..... I've read on the board about a DicaPac case. Does this REALLY work for going underwater, or is it better just for the water sports and Dunn River? Would we be better off with just a disposable waterproof camera? We don't want to spend the money on a nice underwater camera as we would hardly use it outside of our trip.

We purchased a DicaPac for our trip to CTI last year and found it frustrating to use. To turn the camera off, you need to remove it from the case or the battery will discharge prematurely. The camera shifted in the DicaPac a couple of times which caused the photo to have a "ring" in one of the corners. Other than these problems, the DicaPac did allow us to use our camera underwater as advertised. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by D&A913 View Post

If you are looking for a simple point and shoot, i have this one Amazon.com: INTOVA WP 9MP DIG CAM W/WP HOUSING 130': Electronics

it does an ok job, for the $89 price for me it has been worth it to have a few shots of what we see. Pictures are blue, but with a simple photo edit you can adjust the colors and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by suenmark View Post
    I was just at CN from Apr 18th thru Apr25 and got certified while I was there. The cost was $365 for the PADI certification. The diving was awesome and I did a total of 9 dives that week. The diving is all included except for the night dive which I did and the cost of that was $50 but totally worth it. The night dive we saw sea turtles, lobster, crab and numerous other fish you do not see in the day. On the day dives we saw a 10' nurse shark on 2 different dives. The equipment is all in great condition and the instructors were GREAT. I would strongly recommend diving at CN as it was as good or better than the resort dives I have done in Mexico and Ocho Rios. You should definately do it and you won't be dissapointed.
    I love snorkeling and always wanted to learn to dive. I've heard from others that the PADI certification isn't easy and requires classroom time and tests, etc. - not the kind of thing I really want to do on vacation. How much time is involved to get certified? Is there another way to dive other than going through the full certification process (maybe a short course that allows you to dive with certain restrictions such as limited depth or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by suenmark View Post
    Sorry all for the apparent 'double post'. I should have known there was more information on the website that answered some of my questions. How much time is involved in the Resort Course before we would actually hit the water? Also, how much time is involved in getting PADI certified? Is it worth the time or should I stick with the Resort Course? Unless I really get caught up in it, I would probably only dive a hanndful of times during our stay (18-30 May).

Again, thanks in advance for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Sorry all for the apparent 'double post'. I should have known there was more information on the website that answered some of my questions. How much time is involved in the Resort Course before we would actually hit the water? Also, how much time is involved in getting PADI certified? Is it worth the time or should I stick with the Resort Course? Unless I really get caught up in it, I would probably only dive a hanndful of times during our stay (18-30 May).

Casey, talked my SO into doing the resort course in Nassau. If it is anything like that, you are only in instruction for an hour or less before you hit the water. As long as the group you are learning with is quick and eager it goes really fast. Simple basic instruction on the equipment a few mins practicing in the pool before hitting the ocean. You get the chance to decide if you are comfortable enough to go into the ocean. It is great also because if you LOVE it, you will want to get your certification at some point! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

PS, another thing you could think about if you know you want to be certified at some point, is do the course work online. PADI has ecourses now. You do all the class work online and take the test results to wherever you choose to finish with your pool and ocean dives. It will save class time on your vacation. Also, you have a year from the time you do the ecourse to do your pool and ocean dives for Cert. Again Good luck!

Thanks ScubadoNC!

We are returning back this year for our second trip and are going to get certified before we arrive.
    What type of suits are available there? I see mixed comments elsewhere on the web if a suit is even needed in the water temps there.
    I don't have any equipment yet, and will probably only buy a mask and fins to get certified, but do most people bring these with, or use the resort provided ones?
    Can't wait for July 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by clc View Post
    Does anyone have any Scuba Diving stories to share from Couples Negril? First time divers and we want to know what to expect. Anyone else going to be at CN the week of june 15th-21st?

I can't help you with diving stories, but my fiance and I are getting married on june 15th and we will be at CN on the 17th-21st. I can't wait to try scuba diving since we have never been! Maybe we will see you in the water!

What do you do while hubby is diving? I also don't dive but my husband does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast