Default What is too windy at CTI?

Hi,

Does anyone know what is too windy for water sports at CTI?

I have been watching the weather for Ocho Rios for the upcoming week (May 10-17) and the weather channel has 20+ MPH winds for most of the forecast. Does anyone know if this will be too much for the dive and scuba boats? What about the island? I have heard they close it if its too windy. What is too windy?

Thanks in advance!

You have to take each day as it comes. CTI faces somewhat North East and that area catches the wind as it picks up in the afternoon. That increases the waves and can affect water sports. I recommend planning your water activities for the mornings to avoid this. Then the winds are not that bad and waves are small. We went for an afternoon snorkeling trip this April and the journey back was a long slow roller coaster! Luckily we got the trip in but would only do it in the morning from now on.

We were at CTI in the beginning of April and the weather forecast said we would have 22 mph winds. The resort didn't close anything from what I could tell. I too, was worried about the winds. We never did have a red flag day. Most days were yellow flags.

Anywhere you stay on the north coast I suggest planning your watersports as early in the day as you can. The wind and waves, if they are an issue on a given day, tend to become more of an issue as the day goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by GACouple View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know what is too windy for water sports at CTI?

I have been watching the weather for Ocho Rios for the upcoming week (May 10-17) and the weather channel has 20+ MPH winds for most of the forecast. Does anyone know if this will be too much for the dive and scuba boats? What about the island? I have heard they close it if its too windy. What is too windy?

Thanks in advance!
    My wife has been looking at the weather forecast also. I hope it doesn't get windy.

We are going to be there the same time frame. May 10-17!!

We are from Maryland.

Winds were 20+ mph almost our entire stay last week. We had yellow flag days all except one. I don't know what it takes for a red flag day, but I didn't see one. We were able to do all the watersports, including the cat cruise. We didn't dive, but I saw it going out every day. The only thing I didn't see on the yellow flag days was water skiing. That only happened on the one green flag day.

It definitely gets windier as the day goes on though, so you might want to plan accordingly, just in case. And don't leave the weather dependent activities until the end of your stay in case they end up getting cancelled. We made that mistake with our first stay. Ended up not doing the cat cruise or snorkeling because we waited until the last day, and then we couldn't reschedule.

Thanks for all the reply's! Its good to hear that they don't have lots of red flag days with the forecast winds. We will take advantage of the advice and plan our water trips in the morning. I cant wait! Leaving tomorrow!!!!!

My wife has been looking at the weather forecast also. I hope it doesn't get windy.

We are going to be there the same time frame. May 10-17!!

We are from Maryland.
    Cool, what time are you guys arriving? We are landing at 12. Maybe we'll see y'all there.

We are from Ga if the name didn't give it away

Quote Originally Posted by GACouple View Post
    Thanks for all the reply's! Its good to hear that they don't have lots of red flag days with the forecast winds. We will take advantage of the advice and plan our water trips in the morning. I cant wait! Leaving tomorrow!!!!!

Cool, what time are you guys arriving? We are landing at 12. Maybe we'll see y'all there.

We are from Ga if the name didn't give it away
    We got here around 2:45pm It's wonderful!

It sounds like spring/summer is the best time for CTI. We went in late Dec/early Jan. 2011 and the red flag flew almost the entire week. Even getting up early didn't help. We couldn't go diving or snorkeling all week, and the cat cruise was cancelled until nearly the end. When we did go it was still quite rough. It was chilly too from a cold front from the North. I hope the OP has better weather than we did!
    We followed that week with a week at CSS and it was much calmer there.

We have been here since Friday (5/10) and the weather has been wonderful! Green flag days every day