Default US Air / AA merger

As you may or may not know. American Airlines and US Airways are merging to form one big airline. We will be coming home to Jamaica in October and wondered what to do about flights. I know they are still separate airlines, but does anybody know when the deal should be finalized? I don't want to buy tickets on US Airways if they won't be honored by American. Does anybody have any experience with this? Any help would be much appreciated.

We bought tickets on Northwest before the Delta merger. While our tickets were "honored," Delta changed our flights without notifying us. Instead of flying through Memphis, we were to fly through Atlanta and not arrive in MBJ until 7:00 p.m. I noticed about a month before our trip. Although I was initially upset we weren't notified and the awful flight times, I was quite please that Delta's customer service was very helpful. They changed our flight for no charge (which included changing our outbound flights to DFW from DAL), AND we ended up in Jamaica about an hour earlier than we would have if we had flown through Memphis.

In a nutshell... I wouldn't worry about it, but if you buy now, periodically check your flights.

Bruce and Kelli
    Fort Worth, TX
    CN 2006, 2008
    CTI 2009, 2010, 2011
    CSA 2014!

Buy your tickets on American, not US Airways. Most of the schedule has been finalized. Flights from Miami to Montego Bay have not changed, just gotten much more expensive.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

I've bought tickets on airlines merging before and they always honor the old tickets. Why would they want to lose business? Especially in this economy. I wouldn't worry.
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

The deal is expected to close in the fall. In my experience, airlines that merge wait until a logical point, like a calendar year, to begin operating as one/changing flights/combining ff programs etc

I would guess a lot will be effective jan 1....or march 1 as their ff program years typically start

You do NOT have to worry about tickets not being honored. If anything, flights might be cancelled between cities that both airlines service (example charlotte to dallas). Again, in my experience (as a frequent business traveler) typically this is done months in advance and they are very flexible with refunds or rebooking without fees.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are than just book another airline.

I wouldn’t worry about it at all, actually these mergers happen all the time, this one just happens to be two big, well known airlines so gets much more publicity. If you buy tickets now with either airline they will honor the flight. WORST case scenario they might merge some flights and bump you to a different flight but that doesn’t happen often. Things like “Air Mile” programs etc are still TBD… or at least that is what they told me a month ago… not sure if there is newer news than that….

When Continental and United merged, they warned people weeks ahead of time that there could be scheduling glitches on the day that the computer systems (think reservations and ticketing) were merged. However, any ticket that you buy on USAirways now for travel after the merger will be honored. What could very well change is your route, type of plane, and seat assignments. We have already bought our tickets for January 2014 to Jamaica on USAirways. I am assuming that by that time they will start combining routes. In fact, I am hoping that we will be on a newer plane than the crappy Airbus 319s and Boeing 737s that USAirways typically flies to Jamaica. Is it too much to ask for a wide body??? Anyway, what this means is that even though I have chosen my seats, I am fully expecting that my seat assignment will change between now and next January. Go ahead and book the flight on either airline. Just be sure to monitor the flights (it's easy to do on their websites) for changes.

We bought our tix through AA a few months ago for our October trip and the flights changed and we got bumped to a couple of crazy flights that never would have worked (connectioning flights leaving way before we even landed, etc.). It was a mess, but we got it straightened out and ended up having to leave about 3 hours earlier than we first had arranged, which stinks. If you book make sure you keep checking. I check once every couple of weeks, just to make sure.
    Stephanie

One more data point....read an article this week that after the sale closes in the fall they will announce a schedule of when to expect changes, but most likely they will not operate as 1 airline until late 2014 or early 2015.

The reason I asked is because I live in Charlotte. DIRECT FLIGHT from Charlotte to MBJ!! I hope this stays after the change

Quote Originally Posted by BobandJudy View Post
    When Continental and United merged, they warned people weeks ahead of time that there could be scheduling glitches on the day that the computer systems (think reservations and ticketing) were merged. However, any ticket that you buy on USAirways now for travel after the merger will be honored. What could very well change is your route, type of plane, and seat assignments. We have already bought our tickets for January 2014 to Jamaica on USAirways. I am assuming that by that time they will start combining routes. In fact, I am hoping that we will be on a newer plane than the crappy Airbus 319s and Boeing 737s that USAirways typically flies to Jamaica. Is it too much to ask for a wide body??? Anyway, what this means is that even though I have chosen my seats, I am fully expecting that my seat assignment will change between now and next January. Go ahead and book the flight on either airline. Just be sure to monitor the flights (it's easy to do on their websites) for changes.
    AA flys 737-800s from DFW, MIA and ORD. That trip is what that plane was designed for, longer mileage/range and less gas.