Default Passport Airline Ticket Question

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I have a question about my June trip to CN. Our passports have our middle initial but our airline tickets do not. They just have first and last name.

I have heard some say this could be a problem it the names aren't exact. I have also heard some say as long as your first and last name match, no problem.

It would cost $70 bucks to make the change through the airline.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue??

Just over a month to go....

We had this happen in 2011. We didn't have a problem. We too worried for nothing. Asked our travel agent and she said it was fine. Other people said we would have problems. We just went with it and no one questioned it. Enjoy your trip.

No, doesn't matter. My entire middle name is on my passport...and never on my ticket...and never an issue. And i travel frequently.

First and last names must match. Middle names/initials are not required.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Pay the $70! Why risk it?!?

According to my travel agent, they have to be identical. They will not let you past security if they are not.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

You will be fine with no middle name. My finacee and I just returned from Mexico and we didn't have our middle names on our airline tickets(Delta), but we do on our passports. I even called the resort in Mexico and talked to them about it and Delta and both said middle names are not important. The first and last names are and they need to be spelled the same way, no abbrevated first names.
    We will be at CSA in Sept for our wedding and we don't have our middle names on our airline tickets for that trip either.

good question and im in the same boat. wasnt sure where to ask that also. I thought about calling the airlines. we leave on May 20th and i'm just hoping that all goes well. please post if you find out

They will TELL you that they have to match but mine never do. I have two middle names so on passport I have them both but NEVER use both on CC, airline tickets etc. I used to fly 8-10 times a month and never once had a problem.... of course that doesnt mean to say that yu COULD get that ONE person who is having a bad day and call you out on it....

Here's what TSA has to say.

"If the name printed on my boarding pass is different than what appears on my government ID, will I be turned away at security and unable to fly?
    Boarding passes may not always display the exact name you provided when booking your travel. The name you provide is used to perform watch list matching before a boarding pass is issued, so small differences should not impact your travel."

Frequently Asked Questions - Secure Flight | Transportation Security Administration

Since TSA is a government agency they never make any mistakes following their own policies, or change policies without informing the public.

This risk you may run by not providing the middle initial is if someone with your name and a different or no middle initial is on the no-fly list, frustration may result for you and your SO. If you booked through a travel agent or over the phone through the airline, I'd say try to get them to pay for the ticket re-issue. If you did it yourself on-line and didn't read the who-knows-how-many-pages of fine print, the $70 fee you'll have to pay for peace-of-mind may be worth it.

S/F
    Scott and June

Quote Originally Posted by Baxtus View Post
    I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, but I have a question about my June trip to CN. Our passports have our middle initial but our airline tickets do not. They just have first and last name.

I have heard some say this could be a problem it the names aren't exact. I have also heard some say as long as your first and last name match, no problem.

It would cost $70 bucks to make the change through the airline.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue??

Just over a month to go....
    Our travel agent did tell us they must match exactly. We just read her the passport names and our tickets are done exactly like that.
    But I'm not sure how much of an issue it will be for you.

It very well could be a problem.. Check with the airline or TA

Sometime after 2001 the airline people started questioning Jim on airline tickets versus James on DL and passport so I had to e-mail the airline frequent flyer group to have them change it. Did not add middle initial and never had a problem after that.

Well at least you noticed it prior to waiting in line ! it very well may be an issue- personally, assuming you made the reservations yourself- id call the airline and beg borrow and plead- you never know what the might do to resolve the issue. But at the end of the day, don't ruin that travel day, and at best run the risk of being late- for $70.00 bucks. Mark it up as a lesson learned imo. good luck.

I have traveled to 8 countries and multiple national airline trips with first and last name matching my government document, but only middle initial or no initial on the airline ticket. Never has been an issue, even to the guy who was holding a machine gun of some kind on a road check from the airport in one country we visited (had to show return ticket and passport). With that said, if it makes you feel better and relieves you from worrying by all means spend the money.