Hybrid View

Default KIDS - Vacation List

My husband and I are going on our first trip to CN May 30 - June 6. We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old that will be taken care of by various people while we are gone. I want to have the peace of mind that I didn't forget anything for the kids. Here is the list I have so far of everything to remember. Any additional ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Outfits
    Pajamas
    Socks
    Underwear
    Tennis Shoes
    Sandals
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Diapers
    Wipes
    Pull-ups (night time)
    Sippy cups
    Jackets
    Sunblock
    Phone Numbers
    Insurance Information
    Blankets
    Pillows
    Stroller
    Car Seats
    Medicine
    Food

A medical power of attorney in case the kids need some sort of medical care. Don't just assume your relatives can authorize care.

Leave a recording (voice, video, or both) of you reading to them, or singing songs.

If they are not staying in your home, make sure they have a few of their favorite stuffed animals, books and toys.

Depending on how familiar your caretakers are with your kids, a list of foods they particularly like and don't like.

S/F
    Scott and June

They have those recordable books you can buy; where you record your voice reading them a story. Maybe write little notes a head of time that the 4 year old can open and have read to him/her.

I prepared a "Manual" that went through routines from wake up to bedtime... went through each meal, play dates, activities etc. It included addresses of various places they liked to go, favorite movies and books etc. It also listed medications they took and in case OTC meds were needed - what doses they took of what meds. Our pediatrician had us sign an authorization for care form that allows the grandparents to consent for care in our absence - a medical power of attorney is even better - just be sure it's dated for the duration of your trip. The biggest thing it included (IMO) was "the rules" so that the grandparents knew what our guidelines were about everything from bedtimes to settling arguments etc. I know they didn't follow them to the T, but they knew the spirit of what we wanted. My parents really appreciated it!
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

I did a medical release to the caregivers for my kids, you can find free ones online.
    I also filled out one of these for each of my daughters. Child Safety | FREE Child Safe Kit | Protect Your Kids With Their Own Identification Kit
    It's free too.

I designed a schedule in Excel so the caregivers knew what their routine was...this helped them get an idea of what to expect and keep some sort of normalcy to their daily routine. I also did a list of favorite foods, meals, snacks.

Medical power of attorney for sure!

Medical release to whoever is taking care of them. Emergency contact numbers (the resort you are staying at/close relatives/etc). Also, whatever is their comfort item.

We have a nightly routine also that I write down because it always made my kids feel like they were doing what they do every night. They would go to bed much easier.

Good for you for getting away. Enjoy your couples time. You deserve it!

Don't forget to set up Skype or Facetime or something along those lines so you can talk and see them! You might want to have preplanned "dates" to call so you can be sure they are around.

Am a grandma of two beautiful grandsons and also a Couples repeater. The boys stay one day a week with me to help out with daycare and now mom is having number three. I know if the boys are going to be staying with me while mom and dad vacation then it's the medical release etc and health cards that are important. I know their routines etc. Good for you to going on a vacation. Enjoy.

Their favourite bedtime soft toys - we had our 4 and 2 year old grandchildren to stay last night and mummy forgot to send these!!!

Pack-N-Play

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet6165 View Post
    My husband and I are going on our first trip to CN May 30 - June 6. We have a 4 year old and a 1 year old that will be taken care of by various people while we are gone. I want to have the peace of mind that I didn't forget anything for the kids. Here is the list I have so far of everything to remember. Any additional ideas you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Outfits
    Pajamas
    Socks
    Underwear
    Tennis Shoes
    Sandals
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Diapers
    Wipes
    Pull-ups (night time)
    Sippy cups
    Jackets
    Sunblock
    Phone Numbers
    Insurance Information
    Blankets
    Pillows
    Stroller
    Car Seats
    Medicine
    Food
    This seems like a good list, I do second the paperwork to make whoever is watching them able to make medical decisions. A list of foods and likes or dislikes, of course, allergiesI have a 2 and 3 year old and they will only eat certain types of food at any given moment (ahhh, toddlers) My parents do not live in the same area as us (one state over) so I researched different places they could take the boys - local parks, activities, etc. I also added my parents to my insurance because I know the carseats are safe in my car (I rearface until age four because it is much safer) and I don't want to have to deal with installing them/reinstalling them etc and then worry that they are going to not be safe.
    Enjoy your trip, this is my first time spending a week away from the kids. I cannot wait. Does that sound bad? I call them Velcro Babies because they are attached to me from around 5 am (when they wake up) until 8 pm (when bedtime STARTS).

Baby body wash