Default Hassled on Beach?

Many of the negative reviews mention being hassled on the beach. Is this a problem at CSA?

for us it has never been a problem. a simple polite no thank you and away the vendors go.

Randy

It is a public beach so they are their, if you want not beach vendors look into CSS and CTI, there beaches are private and vendor, and local free.
    Irie Mon

Only if you consider a chance to talk with the locals a hassle. Sure, they are trying to sell you things but if you tell them "no thank you" they will leave you alone. They don't really bug you - they walk up and down the edge of the water calling out their "goods". There is the coffee dude, the jewlery dude, and of course Bob and Elvis They are "jacks of all trades"

If you happen to be walking down the beach they may call out to you specifically or if you are lounging closer to the water they will approach you but honestly, just let them know you aren't interested and they will go. They are all very nice - they are just trying to make money so you can't blame them if they seem a bit persistent at times I wouldn't call it a problem though - just talk to them and make frends with them...they are cool!
    http://tinypic.com/a/19if6/3 - pix from CSA 8/18-8/25

Once again, I have never been HASSLED on the beach. CSA has security on the beach and if a vendor comes up off the waterline, they will be chased off if the guest does not want them to stay. There are roaming bands that some people like listen to. There are others vendors that will ask you to buy all sorts of stuff from carvings to weed. As simple "No Thanks" while looking them in the eye will send them packing. But really I have been there 3 times and it is not a problem. I am wondering where you are getting your infomation.

Hi EZF140
    We went to CSA last October and are returning in 18 days. There are vendors on the beach at CSA, but they're not intrusive nor are they pushy. They are very respectful, and security on the beach keeps them moving along.
    We never had a problem!
    Cheers,
    Terri

There are definitely vendors on the beach who will try to approach you. Whether or not you get hassled, in some ways, depends on you. I think I've been stopped by one once. If I don't want to be hassled, I just don't make eye contact. They aren't going to get up in your face and force you to talk to them...it's not like that at all. With that said, I may also have "NO!" stamped on my forehead or something too because in my 4 trips to Jamaica, I've also never been offered drugs.

There is a benefit to the vendors too. Some of them are musicians. There is nothing cooler than sitting on the beach in Negril while strolling musicians play reggae.

We are still counting the days until our first trip to CSA but I can tell you from experience at another resort we have visited in Montego Bay many, many times that the vendors move along quite readily if you give them a simple "no thanks". If you are reading a book or napping they don't approach you at all, they aren't obnoxious. And remember, this isn't a problem unique to Couples, the beach in Negril is somewhat public so the vendors can walk along the water, surely all the resorts get the same vendor traffic. I can understand why you are asking because Trip Advisor reviews can get you thinking about things sometimes but it's really not going to be something that will upset your vacation.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the posts. Great to hear from people who've been there. Most of the bad reviews came from Tripadvisor. There were not many but they almost always mentioned this as a problem.

While there are vendors that walk the beach at CSA, it is NOTHING compared to what we have experienced at other islands, notably Aruba and Barbados. In Aruba and Barbados, we have encountered the dreaded time share vendors. These people simply will not take no for an answer. I've never encountered a time share vendor at CSA on three trips. The vendors are mostly the jet ski/parasail guys, the ciiiiiigarette guys, and the musicians who appreciate a small tip. To be honest, we have experienced a few aggressive vendors at CSA. But again, it is nothing like some of the other islands.

It is not a problem, the vendors add that floavor to the beach, which is very Jamaican. Have a conversation with one of them and you would be surprised. They are only trying to feed their families, like everyone else, or simply say no thanks mon and move on.

EZF140

When you mention BAD REVIEWS and TRIP ADVISOR you said a mouth full.

Oh I am sure if I tried hard enough I could find something to complain about at a Couples Resort. So I'll give you my list of complaints.

1. Our room was always cleaned and the bed made up daily.
    2. Some staff member would always dirty our room up spreading flower petals around.
    3. That same staff member would always twist our towels up to resemble some form of art.
    4. Ms Karen Lanigan would always turn up the volume on the tree frogs as I was trying to go to bed.
    5. The kitchen staff, at each of the restaurants, always cooked these meals that made me want to eat all I could and put weight on.
    6. The bartenders made these wonderful rum drinks and made sure my glass was never empty.
    7. The beach was always cleaned so that I couldn't see any beach debris.
    8. The sand was so soft that it got into placed I didn't want it to.
    9. The guests were so friendly that we created great friendships over the years and now my computer is always full of jokes and communications from them.
    10. I blame Couples Resorts for creating an atmosphere that made us rediscover our love for each other.

We started going to Jamaica as an anniversary present to ourselves and wouldn't you know it, we're going back to celebrate 30 years of marriage.

Yeah there is a lot to complain about with Couples Resorts.

I guess that is why we love going back!

Default Vendors

We were at CSA in July and the vendors were very respectful. If you said no thanks they would move on plus security was great keeping them from coming off the beach line. Remember it is a public beach.

But have to tell you, one vendor was walking the beach with fresh caught and steamed lobster that was out of this world. For $10 you got full lobster with a 6-8oz tail, a paper plate, and he cut up for you and put on lemon or lime. Delicious. many people on the beach bouhgt it. Also 2 musicians serenaded us with love songs and we slipped them a couple of bucks. It was a great experience to sit with the one you love and have them focus on only the 2 of you.

Don't worry

What would Seven Mile Beach be without Hat?

Ricky Ginsburg
    On the web, always open

Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Take from the locals life lessons, little conversations with people from another world will make you grow and respect all others.
    They are honest good people who just are trying to make a living.
    Like others have said, a simple "no thank you" and they will walk away.
    But your missing it, if you dont just say "how are ya today" and thank them for taking the time to stop and say HI.
    Barb

We love the "Cat in the Hat". For us it wouldn't be the same without the vendors walking up and down the beach. 25 Days until we see the Hat Man. WooHoo.
    There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage ~Mark Twain

I didn't think it was bad at all. We spent most of the time in the water. We may have heard them but they never bothered us at all. I thought it was kind of funny watching someone with a trash bag full of cigarettes on their head walking around. It definately is not as bad as most people make it out to be.

They aren't a problem at all. I can hardly wait to hear that voice say "Ceeeeegarette, cigar, cigar"

We went to an S resort years ago on the Ocho Rios side of the island and it creeped us out that there were no locals on the beach. When we decided to go back to Jamaica we knew we wanted to be on a public beach. When someone says they like private beaches so there are no locals, it pushes my buttons. Why ever leave the comfort of your home and neighbors if you don't want to experience the local people? Except for those who are serving you?

As for being hassled, we had no problem with that. Security is right there and the vendors were no problem. We went on long walks off the property and never had a problem there either. People approached us and we chatted with them if we wanted to, but if we looked them in the eye and respectfully said no and meant it, no problem. They are just trying to make a living.

I think that it is culturally hard for a lot of Americans to just say no, so they hate to be asked, or they expect others to read their subtle signs and back off. Do not say maybe I'll buy one later or I don't have any money on me right now if you do not mean it. Just say no, or they will ask you again later and you may interpret that as harassment, when to them it is just a good business practice. It is fascinating and part of the reason traveling is so mind expanding.