Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommend a Water Camera

Anyone suggestions and/or pointers for bringing a good quality water camera? i.e. Kodak,....?
    KJ

We use this one, have no problems with it. Taking it with us to CSS this week:

Camera
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

Price range? Features wanted?

I'm tempted to recommend a Hero3.

We purchased a "Kodak EasyShare Sport C123 12 MP Waterproof Digital Camera" before our trip last year and am really glad we did (new off of ebay for around $58). For a budget waterproof camera it took pretty good still images and video. It also came with a floating wrist strap so if you drop the camera, it doesn't sink.

However, the issue we ran into was that after 2-3 days of a lot of use, the camera lense continuously fogged up due to all the moisture and humidity. If you go with this camera (or probably any budget underwater camera) you may run into this issue. I would suggest to make sure at the end of the day you open all compartment doors and place in a very dry area to air out overnight.

We are leaving to go back to CSA in about a week upgraded to a gopro Hero 3. These are top of the line action cameras and take great video. Not as great with still images unless you opt to buy the lcd screen attachment. Lots of reviews and info on the inter-webs.

Here is a link to our pics/videos from last year with the kodak. (only can go to 480p in youtube for this camera, stills and video better quality than what was uploaded)

Negril Jamaica Couples Swept Away 2012 part 1 - YouTube
    Negril Jamaica Couples Swept Away 2012 part 2 - YouTube

Good Luck

"E"

My husband and I received a Kodak PlaySportHD as a wedding gift and brought it with us on our honeymoon trip to Couples. It was fantastic! Because it's waterproof, we took it along with us to Dunn's River and used it when we were in the pools and ocean. The quality of the photos is great, and the video footage we took with it is fantastic.

I've never had a Kodak camera until now so I can't recommend the brand as a whole, but this specific camera exceeded any expectation I could have had. It's phenomenal!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4

We bought one last year and have used it several times. No leaks and surprisingly good pictures.

The pictures under water will only be as good as the conditions. On the days when the waves are big, there is a lot of sand in the water and the clarity isn't great.

For the underwater use, you MUST follow their directions for cleaning the seals before use under water. If you don't you may ruin the camera.

We bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 last year and I have no complaints! We didn't scuba, but we did snorkle and got some greate pics!! We plan to bring it to Barbados next month :-)
    Socal and Sintown
    CN 6/2014
    CB 6/2013
    CTI 6/2012

The Go-Pro Hero 2. A little more money, but you can take stills and video.
    Jamaica Us Happy
    Jason & Ann

For diving? Snorkeling? Just around the pool? Huge difference in price ranges, functions, etc.

I got a pentax optio wg-2 for my birthday a week before we left. Had that camera with us at all times on the beach/resort. My sister in law had the Nikon cool pix aw110. We both were happy with the picture quality. Just an FYI they do not come with any wrist strap for being in the water. The one I ordered online from amazon didn't make it to me before we left. I guess I'll use it next time I'm there.

We were at Couples last week. We borrowed my sisters underwater camera, which was a Panasonic DMC-TS3 and it wouldn't work after 5 minutes of snorkeling so DO NOT buy that camera. We then went into Negril's gift shop the morning of our scuba diving trip and that one only took about 7 pictures and then broke (along with 3 other people on our boat). They were gracious enough to refund our money, but dont take that chance. these are your memories and we cannot get ours back with our broken cameras. We spoke to one of the resorts photographers and he recommended Olympus for point and shoots. We will be buying that once we pay off my sister's. hope this helps!

Check this out, i read about these on this message board and ordered one for our upcoming trip. Haven't tested it with a camera inside yet, or to depth.... But i folded up a paper towel and had it held down to the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket for 24 hours, and in the end, the paper towel came out just as dry as it went in. I'm posting the fitting guide page so you can see if they make one for what ever model camera you may currently have.

Digital waterproof case company | Dicapac

For example, I have a Sony Cybershot S2100, and bought a Dicapac model # WP-410
    there's room in the Dicapac for the camera to slop around, so you just have to be sure the extendable zoom is in the right spot before you turn it on... Other than that, I think it'll work good for snorkeling. Probably not for scuba diving depths though.

The Pentax WG-3 is a pretty rugged WP camera with great features. Water proof to 45 feet...! Cost runs from $245 to $299.

h2otoes, I think I have that same camera. I use the Panasonic for stills, for video, in the water, out of the water, it comes with a wrist strap and I have never had an issue with mine not working. I think you may have received a bad apple in the lot.
    Socal and Sintown
    CN 6/2014
    CB 6/2013
    CTI 6/2012

Got a canon for this summer. Had an Olympus for 10 years and it leaked last summer. So I got my money's worth. Also had a fugi and it made it 10 days. Never do that again.

Well my Boyfriend feels that the best camera ever is on the iphone 5. LOL that being said- I bought him the survivor catalyst iphone cover, supposedly the best on the market. You can even go snorkeling with it. Also come with a wrap to wrap round your wrist.

Waterproof iPhone cases for All of Life's Adventures | catalystlifestyle

I used a code from retail me not- I think I paid 60.00 in total.

I bought my husband a Nikon COOLPIX AW100 underwater camera as a wedding gift right before we left for CTI last fall. We used it the whole week we were there, on the beach/island, at Dunn's River, and while scubaing (it's rated to 30-35 feet, I believe). It takes wonderful pictures AND videos, and is small and easy to carry around. My husband was also obsessed with the panoramic feature. We still use it all the time, when we need something durable or waterproof, and small- taking pictures in the rain/while hiking, etc. Highly recommended.

We bought a fujifilm camera. It was $200 but now I'm seeing advertised for $150. Oh we'll. money well spent. Great pictures. No problems with leaking or fogging up.

We bought the actionpro made my Aztac It's much cheaper than the Gopro and come with a remote and other accessories that are extra with the gopro. We bought ours on Amazon for about $129?

For those suggesting the go pro.....did you use a different lens? My husband tried using video when snorkeling and all of the pics/video were distorted. Just curious. Ended up packing back away the rest of the trip.

I will also recommend the Nikon Coolpix AW100, rugged camera, takes great pics and has lots of functionality. However I just put in Auto Easy mode and it does all the rest.

We have a Sealife underwater camera that we have used down to 90 feet and takes great pictures. You can find them online or at a local dive shop. Depending on how deep you plan to take pictures, you may want to consider a strobe light add on if you are taking it diving.
    Jack & Donna

if you're using the gopro under water you need to get a dive lens. I did some reading on this and due to the curve of the camera lens and the curve of the housing you end up with distortion

Quote Originally Posted by LakeH2O View Post
    For those suggesting the go pro.....did you use a different lens? My husband tried using video when snorkeling and all of the pics/video were distorted. Just curious. Ended up packing back away the rest of the trip.
    This was a problem with the older model gopro's with a spherical cover over the lense. The newest gopro, Hero 3, has a flat lense that will not distort the picture underwater. They are pricier, and you have to get a lot of accessories to really get the full capability, but like most things, you get what you pay for, so caveat emptor to those looking at generics.

Check it out, and watch in 1080p.
    GoPro HERO3: Black Edition - Smaller, Lighter and 2X More Powerful - YouTube

We have a Cannon PowerShot D10. A few years ago when I purchased it, it was rate #1 in it's price range. Takes great pictures in and out of the water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast