Default Chocolate s gratuities?

We read on a message board somewhere that chocolate and or school supplies would be great little gratuities for the resort staff instead of money. Has anyone done this? Would it be permitted? Recommended?

I took little treat bags, filled them with mini chocolates, werthers Cindy's and left them on the bed with notes to housekeeping each day.

When we were at TI. I left the housekeeping staff chocolates every morning and evening. We came back to the room one evening with the entire room covered in rose petals! Now that's gratude!

We left chocolates for the staff on our visit this year. When we mentioned this to one of the bartenders, he said, "We don't want chocolate, we like the green gold". I wasn't sure how to take this. From that moment on, we didn't really trust this bartender.

Just curious...why chocolates? And are there any other small gifts that they would appreciate?

When we stay at Couples resorts (since we can't tip w/ cash), I always leave some single packs of M&Ms (reg. & peanut) along w/ a pack of gum every morning. The 1st morning I always leave a note saying thank you, so they know they're supposed to take the stuff. If I don't leave that note the 1st day, the candy is always there when we get back that afternoon.

Also, before we leave for dinner, I leave a few more packs of M&Ms for the turn-down person.

We will be going back for or second visit soon and it's hard not to want to bring something small for the staff that makes your trip so much fun!! We will be bringing something small for them even I it is gift bags!!

We left chocolates last time we were there for just about everyone, and for the most part it was greatly appreciated. We weren't necessarily around when the others received them...but all in all, they were well received.

We always take as much treat size chocolates as we can and a few bigger bars for special folks. Its fun walking the resort in the morning and flipping the gardener or maintenance staff a chocolate treat, always gets a big smile.

My husband and I will be at CSA in September (this will be our first visit to Couples). Does anyone know if the housekeeping staff are able to accept coloring books, or other little art stuff, along with the little chocolates? I was thinking it might be nice to give a little something to them to take home to their kids.
    Erin & Patrick

Always bring Hersheys Kisses and Bag of Nestle Crunch Bars and hand out all 10 pounds!! So many deserve more but would never want to cost someone their job!

For those who have done this, do you bring just regular, everyday chocolates (i.e. something you can pick up at the grocery store) or do you bring "fancy" chocolates, such as Godiva, See's, or Rocky Mountain chocolates?

The first year we brought chocolate and some school supplies. Both because they are very expensive in Jamaica. Yes the housekeeping staff can take school supplies, and they are really appreciated. We gave some to our cleaning staff the first year and she had such a smile on her face. She said her children would really like them. Just be sure to leave a note so they do not get into trouble. Small chocolates are just easier to hand out to everyone. But remember, the best thing you can do is mention them on your check out questionaire.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Lindad View Post
    The first year we brought chocolate and some school supplies. Both because they are very expensive in Jamaica. Yes the housekeeping staff can take school supplies, and they are really appreciated. We gave some to our cleaning staff the first year and she had such a smile on her face. She said her children would really like them. Just be sure to leave a note so they do not get into trouble. Small chocolates are just easier to hand out to everyone. But remember, the best thing you can do is mention them on your check out questionaire.
    Thank you!
    Erin & Patrick

We ususally take lotions, nail polish and things like that for housekeeping. Snack items also. Our girl really appreciated it.

We gave cash! No one refused our tips! Why would you spend money and packing space on chocolate when these poor people need money??!! Just give them cash like a normal person.....

For those who have taken school supplies what are some of the most needed items? Do you only give them to the housekeeping staff or everyone?

We never had really heard of tipping the housekeepers with chocolate before. We just did it. In 2004, we did our first AI to the Dominican Rep. I read somewhere online that people left small gifts and cash for the housekeepers, so we brought a bunch of old perfumes, lotions, etc, and left them with a couple bucks and a note each day. In 2006, we went to Cozumel and just left a couple bucks and a note. Then, on our first trip to Couples in 2007, knowing there was a "no tipping" policy, we weren't sure what to do, and I'm pretty sure there was no Message Board then. Me being the candy addict that I am, and the fact that we go on trips in November (after Halloween), I always bring a bunch of candy. Since I love my fruity candies, like Skittles, Starburst, etc, but don't care as much for chocolate, I just left a handful of Snickers, Godiva, Lindor, Kit Kats, or whatever else I had, along with a note each day. The girls were ecstatic. I remember the huge smile on her face, the first time we walked in our room during the day, and saw our housekeeper munching on a Kit Kat while she was cleaning our room. She literally thanked us every time we saw her. We've done that now on all three trips, and each time, the girls love it.

On another note, especially after reading a recent negative review, when I hear people talk about employees saying rude things or asking for tips and hand-outs, I just shake my head. People, not just Jamaicans, but all people, first and foremost want to be treated with respect. We have been friends with several of the staff at CN for years. We talk frequently on Facebook or IM. We know about each others' families and lives outside of just Couples and to me, that's what being a good global citizen is all about. If some bartender said they want "green gold", then he probably took the question as disrespectful. Unfortunately, people identify who they are with money, especially if they don't have much. If somebody asked me if I accept chocolate as a tip, it would probably be a reason to throw down. However, when this policy is in place, it's nice to just leave something for the housekeepers to acknowledge the good work they do, and leave it at that.