Thread: Reggae Marathon

Hybrid View

Default Reggae Marathon

I was wondering if anyone has done this race (full or half marathon) which appears to be the first weekend of December each year. We don't normally go in December but I think it would be fun to go the Friday before, run and then spend the week at Couples. If you've done it can you let me know what you think of the course and where you stayed? Does Couples provide a shuttle to the starting line?

TYIA!
    Honeymoon @ CSA 2010; CSS 2011 & 2012; CTI June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has done this race (full or half marathon) which appears to be the first weekend of December each year. We don't normally go in December but I think it would be fun to go the Friday before, run and then spend the week at Couples. If you've done it can you let me know what you think of the course and where you stayed? Does Couples provide a shuttle to the starting line?

TYIA!
    I ran the half marathon before. It is not a hilly run. The full marathon is hilly. The run is very early in the morning before sunrise. Local children light the path with torches and it is a wonderful experience. There are lots of police around so I felt 100% safe at all times. At the end there's a man who opens a fresh coconut for you with a machete and you celebrate your achievement.

The start and finish lines are about 100 yards from the front entrance of CSA so you do not need a shuttle. There is also a vendor area the day before the run across the street from the resort.

If you are a runner. It is great time and a wonderful excuse to go home to Couples!

Karen
    Couples 7 Timer

Hi AAAA,

Paul and I did the race 3 years ago. As it was a vacation, we both cut back on the distance and I did the 10K and Paul ran the half. It was definitely fun to do. The course is flat but isn't very exciting as it's an out an back, but standing with the crowd to begin the race at 5:30am was a good feeling (sitting back at the Palms drinking champagne at 9am was even better!).

We stayed at CSA; from there it's a short walk to the start so no shuttle required. CN is quite a bit further (maybe 2 miles from the start) and I don't know if they provided a shuttle. CSA is our least favorite of the Couples resorts but we'd stay there if we were to run the Reggae again. If you do, be sure to make a reservation at the spa for a massage that morning, that certainly helped our recovery!

Karen & Paul