Default Taking Ashes to Jamaica

In 10 days we are heading to CTI to celebrate our wedding with all of our closest family and friends. We were expecting to begin this journey with one member of our family back at home-our 2 year old Basset Hound, Dottie. Over the past two weeks, she was overcome with illness, diagnosed with Lymphoma, and we made the decision to let her go last Thursday. I never thought we'd have to say goodbye so soon and I also never thought that I would have an animal cremated, but all that went through my mind was that now she could come with us on our adventure.

Does anyone have any experience with bringing ashes to Jamaica or out of the country and can tell us if there's anything we should know about this before we go? If you do not wish to share this openly, please feel free to email me at jessieswarren@yahoo.com.

This is probably a case of "don't ask, don't tell." Just do it and say nothing else on this public forum about it.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Jessie, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. (((Dottie))) We faced a very similar situation, losing our dear Paddy-boy about a month prior to our April 2013 trip. We had thought about bringing some ashes so part of him would always be in Jamaica...but then decided that his home is with us.

I am so sorry this has happened We lost our cat a month from our wedding day. I was sure my eyes would still be puffy
    I took my mom's ashes to MA and had no problem at the airport. They have to be in a clear bag or wooden box. I told the TSA agent I had the ashes in my carry on and they didn't even bother to look or open my bag.

Again I am so sorry...

Unless the ashes are part of the ceremony, it's probably not a good idea for a variety of airport security, baggage handling, customs and romance reasons. Congrats on your marriage and may it out last many more crisis, speadbumps and beloved pets.

So sorry to hear of your loss. It is horrible losing a part of your family. I didn't want to open this thread (knew it would be sad). Then when I saw it was your bassethound, I was REALLY very sad as we have a nine year old bassethound (Snickers). Go and enjoy yourselves on your trip. I would keep the ashes at home as you may feel differently once you get back and might want to have Dottie at home where she belongs.

I am so sorry for you loss. I am an animal lover myself and have arraigned for a good friend that has a dog that mine likes to play with and be around. It is very hard for me to leave her when I am going to CSA in 9 days. This is my suggestion, if for some reason that the TSA or custom or immigration has a problem with it and decide that that the ashes cannot go into or go out of Jamaica and might make you leave the ashes at the airport or trash them. It would very sad to lose your dog again. So I would leave them at home. Again I am so so sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by jswarren View Post
    In 10 days we are heading to CTI to celebrate our wedding with all of our closest family and friends. We were expecting to begin this journey with one member of our family back at home-our 2 year old Basset Hound, Dottie. Over the past two weeks, she was overcome with illness, diagnosed with Lymphoma, and we made the decision to let her go last Thursday. I never thought we'd have to say goodbye so soon and I also never thought that I would have an animal cremated, but all that went through my mind was that now she could come with us on our adventure.

Does anyone have any experience with bringing ashes to Jamaica or out of the country and can tell us if there's anything we should know about this before we go? If you do not wish to share this openly, please feel free to email me at jessieswarren@yahoo.com.

3 years ago we re-scheduled a trip to CSA due to illness and death of my great tabby cat, Bubba age 9, from lymphoma.
    I would not risk taking the ashes. There are really nice urns you can get to put them in. A have pewter one with paw prints with its on a side table in my living room.

No experience with this and you didn't ask for my opinion about whether you should or shouldn't so I'll just recommend you check with TSA. Just give them a call. I'm sure they can tell you if there are any issues. I imagine there shouldn't be if you seal the ashes in a ziplock bag and inside something in your checked bag or in your carry on.

Here's what TSA says.

The TSA Blog: Traveling with Crematory Remains

Customs in Jamaica would be my concern. Even if they have a policy they can sometimes be more inconsistent in the application of their policies.

S/F
    Scott

Follow up, for anyone looking to do something similar:

Thank you all for your input, especially those that contacted me personally. I did check with TSA and all you need is either a death certificate or paperwork from the crematory to accompany the remains. They must be in a clear plastic bag-usually supplied with the ashes. You must alert security before your bag is scanned. They will do a test on them to determine that they are organic and then you will be on your way! Security in Jamaica was even less. We only took half with us just in case and we're doing something special with the other half anyways.

We now have several great reasons to return to Jamaica and visiting our baby is wonderful one to add to that.