Default Parasites in the sand???

Okay, so normally when I read trip advisor reviews and I read a really, really bad review of the place, I assume the person is just hard to please and that it isn't as bad as they say.

I have faith (can't wait to see for myself!) that CSA is amazing, however, I have read three reviews now about parasites in the sand and people coming home with parasites in their feet. One of these reviews is obviously one to dismiss (they talk about couples being a place to "party hard if you don't mind the mess"... Ridiculous) and if it was just that reviewer I wouldn't be asking. But I saw this in two more reviews as well.

So does anyone have more info? Any parasite encounters or any idea what they could be talking about? It's obviously gotta be pretty rare if it really does happen, otherwise I would have read about it by now. But to have three mention it all at once is odd.

Thoughts?

the worse I've seen is just sand fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by JustBeachy View Post
    Okay, so normally when I read trip advisor reviews and I read a really, really bad review of the place, I assume the person is just hard to please and that it isn't as bad as they say.

I have faith (can't wait to see for myself!) that CSA is amazing, however, I have read three reviews now about parasites in the sand and people coming home with parasites in their feet. One of these reviews is obviously one to dismiss (they talk about couples being a place to "party hard if you don't mind the mess"... Ridiculous) and if it was just that reviewer I wouldn't be asking. But I saw this in two more reviews as well.

So does anyone have more info? Any parasite encounters or any idea what they could be talking about? It's obviously gotta be pretty rare if it really does happen, otherwise I would have read about it by now. But to have three mention it all at once is odd.

Thoughts?
    I read that review, and was confused. I would really like to know WHAT kind of parasite they got in their foot, because that is super rare....and if it did, it would be the fault of the resort...it would be a random coincidence from the beach. I was there at the same time and had no issues at all, and I have super sensitive skin. I would really not worry about it.

Don't know anything about parasites & in 16 years going to Negril many times have never even heard of any but the sand fleas eat my legs & feet up if I'm on the beach after sunset or before sunrise .. No problems during the day with anything though.

We are here at CSA right now and other then a few bug bites everything is wonderful. As for a place to party there will always be people who drink way to much but it's a big resort so when we bore of watching the drinking show we just move.

Did a little digging around and I think they're talking about hookworm. And yes, it can be contracted in Jamaica or any other area with a warm, moist climate. Sounds like it may transferred from animals (dogs, cats). Best method of prevention is wearing footwear. Luck of the draw on picking up something like this, but it sounds easily treatable.

That being said, I am absolutely mortified at myself for researching this before lunch! lol

I'd like to add the disclaimer that I'm totally paranoid about nasty stuff such as this, but there is something to be 'caught' anywhere you go, and I'll just take precautions. NOTHING could keep me from returning to Jamaica or Couples.

Parasites in beach sand is more likely (though still not extremely common) on lake fronts where wild animals may be roaming the waters edge. Really unless you have open sores such as cuts or other injuries on your feet you should not have any worries. Rinsing your feet as you leave the beach helps a lot, as does washing you feet well at the end of the day. I would not give it too much worry, but be aware of good personal hygiene while on vacation.
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

Lots of trips to Couples now, and no issues with any parasites except mosquitoes - but they get me everywhere I go. I stay off the beach when the sun goes down so never had any sand bug bites. Honestly I am a total bug magnet and the ideal person to stand near when there are any anythings around as they will swerve past you to get to me.....and I promise I have had no parasite issues in Jamaica.

It is possible to get some kind of parasite that burrows into your foot if you're on the beach....Typically these parasites can be found in sand in shaded areas (especially by trees) where dogs and/or cats have used the area as their litter box. I've actually read about this on TA, but that was quite a while ago. Probably the best thing to do is to not bury your feet in sand if you're sitting near a tree....

Be warned ** THEY DO EXIST **

I wont scare you with my story, but will instead offer some good advice.
    Wash your feet after walking on the beach -especially between the toes!
    I also don't suggest laying directly on the sand, use a towel or preferably a lounge chair.
    The parasites are actually hookworms that are expelled from cats and dogs that have not been de-wormed. If you step on their buried "treasure" you may end up being the next host. And believe me, you do not want to experience this... EVER!!

Ever had a mosquito bite that really, really itched? Enough that you scratched 'till it bled?
    This is about 1-million times worse -and then some!!

Here is the CDC's explanation for travelers:
    Cutaneous Larva Migrans - Chapter 3 - 2012 Yellow Book | Travelers' Health | CDC

And here is what it looks like (the raised lines are infected worm tunnels):
    https://www.google.com/search?gs_rn=...FsnTyAGwyIDACw

Although this happened on my first trip to Jamaica several years ago, I've been back to the Caribbean 7 more times -5 of which were Jamaica.
    Since educating myself, I now know that it can happen almost anywhere I travel. And I'm always on guard.

See you all at CSA in July! Woohoo... we can't wait!!

Default No see 'ems

Quote Originally Posted by Maxernie View Post
    Don't know anything about parasites & in 16 years going to Negril many times have never even heard of any but the sand fleas eat my legs & feet up if I'm on the beach after sunset or before sunrise .. No problems during the day with anything though.

We've been going to Jamaica for many years and only in the last few I've been eaten up by no see 'ems. They're either sand flies or sand fleas, depending on who you ask. They attack me morning, noon and night, but don't bother my husband at all. I found out I'm allergic to them so I travel with antihistamine cream and drugs. It's a huge mystery to me.