Default Newbie - contemplating CN, lots of questions!

Ok experts!
    I have just started researching a possible honeymoon to CN.

My first questions is time of year..... we would like to go sometime in Jan-Apr. 2014... When is the best price for that time of year? And when is the best price with the best weather, cause obviously best weather is very important!

Also, what kind of extra excursions are a MUST DO, and alternatively, which ones are a waste of money?

As well, I mean, are the standard rooms nice and decent enough? It IS our honeymoon, but this trip will be very expensive so we are trying to figure out best places to cut costs without comprimising the trip too much.

Also, when would be the best time to book?

thanks in advance for all of your help!!!

You should get plenty of advice on these questions. I think I can answer a couple of them though.
    When to go:
    We used to take our trips to Couples in January & February until I realized a few years back the price goes down quite a bit after around April 15th. Not just for Couples mind you, mid April is the start of the "off season" in Jamaica and you can't get lobster until July (if that even matters). Going in April has saved us an average of about $1000 which covers most of the airfare.
    Weather:
    The weather in Jamaica is pretty consistant year round, low to mid 80's during the day and low to mid 70's at night...perfect!
    January thru April are the less rainy months on average but you will probably get a shower or two during a one week stay. They usually only last an hour or so and mostly move in during the middle of the day. In our 8 trips to Jamaica, we never lost a day due to rain.
    Rooms:
    We've stayed in a standard room and on our last trip to CN we stayed in a suite. The suite is very nice and is actually double the size of a standard room. It has a huge bathroom, two sliding doors to the balcony, a hammock on the balcony and a few other nice things like nightly hors d'oeuvres brought to your room and an in room dining option. We were celebrating a special occasion and really did enjoy the dinner and wine brought to our room and eating on the balcony.....very romantic.
    I'm not sorry we did it but we will continue to just get the standard room from now on. As I'm sure you have read many times on this message board, you really don't spend much time in your room....but it is your honeymoon lol.
    Excursions:
    Not usually into excursions when we go so I can't help there.
    Best time to book:
    Look for the deals Couples offers. I'm not sure what they have going now but I would think about booking soon.

Great choice on CN. We renewed our vows at CN for our 25th back in 2004 and CN is our favorite Couples Resort.
    Good luck and congratulations!

The best time to go is anytime you can go. However Jamaica does have a rainy season. We were there for the week prior to Memorial Day for the 3rd year in a row and caught the rainy season this time. Each morning was beautiful and around 1 pm the rain came. We did make it back out to the beach each day around 4 and stayed until sunset.

The prices drop mid to late April and also drop some more mid to late August then go back up in December. Late summer and fall is the hurricane season so make sure you get the travel insurance just in case.

In the 3 years we have gone the only time we left the resort was the 1st year we waled across the street to the craft market and you could actually see similar crafts down the beach. There are opportunities to take off resort excursions but there is so much to do on the resort that it is hard to leave.

We have stayed in the beachfront deluxe standard size room each time and had plenty of room. We are considering the garden view room in the future to offset rising airfare.

Couples does have a promo thru June 19th offering $300 resort credit for travel in 2014.

You will love CN.

Thank you so much for the advice!
    it IS our honeymoon after all, but I just can't help but think the money spent on not staying in a suite could go to a future home.. or kids... or something!
    I think I'm going to wait to see if there is a good deal and just snatch it up.
    I don't want to wait until later April (the wedding is in August so that would be a long wait) but I think we might if the price is right!
    I can't even tell you how excited we are! Woo hoo!

Thank you for the advice!! WE are probably gonna try to book as soon as possible the next time a great deal comes along.
    Can't wait for what sounds like the perfect weather!
    I think we will opt for the non-suite rooms.... just seems like an easy place to save money...
    thanks again!

Our first trip was in late April, when the prices drop significantly. Other years we have gone in late May/June. I would definitely wait until the price drop, much as we would love to escape the cold here earlier, the price difference is huge.

I would also book the lowest level room at CN. At CSS we booked the Penthouse, at that time the price wasn't that different (now it is!) and we thought the views were worth it, but at CN, I don't think the extra cost is worth it.

As far as excursions go, we decided to wait until we were there to book any excursions, and once we got there, we didn't want to leave. You can book through the resort, so I would wait and see how you feel when you get there. We did do the trading places day at CSA, and missed CN the whole day.

Shibby- the best price is now! Prices are going up after June 5th so book today. Couples does have a guarantee that if the price drops they will honor the new price. Your best move and price is to book now.

Also, I've stayed in all rooms except a suite. I know it might be hard to believe, but you really aren't in your room much at all. A garden suite will be just perfect and save you money.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

August - mid-November is probably the least expensive time to book. There is the potential of hurricane season during that time but you can always purchase the trip insurance. I just looked at the rate chart and it is $340 per night starting Aug 19th, 2013 - mid-Dec.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage.

The prices drop after Easter not the 15th. Obviously the price drop will be at a different time each year. Next year Easter is late so it will be late April.

The weather is somewhat like weather....not really predictable. The temperatures won't change much all year. We've gone after Easter for a number of years and had different weather each year with this year being exceptionally great. Expect some afternoon showers and you will probably be right for half of your trip.

Our first trip to Jamaica we did lots of excursions and came home exhausted. In Negril we are happy to just stay on the resort and hold down the sand. Do some snorkeling, Hobie Cats and the Cat cruise and that will be plenty.

Unless you're different than most (Even on your honeymoon) you won't notice the difference between one room and the next. You will be either in the bed (All the same beds) or not in the room so don't waste the money on an upgrade.

Depending one when you book, your flight options may change a lot. We can book direct flights to Jamaica until late April. After that we have to book a connecting flight. Several hours in the difference for travel.

Whenever you go and however you get there (Except if you go by train) you will love CN: I promise!