Default Nooks in Jamaica

Has anyone used their Nook in Jamaica recently? I had read on here before where e-readers sometimes had a hard time downloading content while in Jamaica. Has that issue gone away? Are you able to connect to WiFi and download books? Wife and I have the Nook tablets. Thanks in advance!
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

I have used my Nook in Jamaica, but I didn't download anything while we were there. I just had all the content I wanted to read either side-loaded (on the micro-sd card), or residing on the Nook itself. That's what I'd suggest - just download your reading material before you get there.

That being said, there is wi-fi available, but I found it unreliable at CSS.

I brought my Nook in November 2012. They gave me a code at the desk for the WiFi. Was able to access the net just fine. I had loaded a book before we left so I didn't try to download anything there. I didn't take it to the beach. I had read that the salt doesn't mix with the electronics. Hope this helps!

I was just at CN last month and I didn't have a problem at all with my Nook.

We used ours at CTI March 2012 and they worked just fine. There was wi-fi throughout CTI and we never had a problem! Enjoy CSS, we were there in 2011 and LOVED it!!

I read here somewhere to download books to your device before you arrive, we followed that advice and had no issues.

The Wi-Fi is not that fast at the resorts and the speeds drop off in many areas to a snail's pace. (I could barely even check emails at our room at CTI) Checking emails and such may at times not be too bad but I would not suggest holding off on larger downloads for the resort. Do it at home first and then no problem. If you must download at the resort try going to the lobby where the signal is usually better.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfahey View Post
    I read here somewhere to download books to your device before you arrive, we followed that advice and had no issues.
    I am not one to read often. I have downloaded some of the preview files for some books. Just wanted to make sure that if I like the book, I can purchase and download the rest of the book while there.
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

Quote Originally Posted by Allans_Angel View Post
    That being said, there is wi-fi available, but I found it unreliable at CSS.
    This is news to me. I've heard nothing but how good the WiFi is at the resorts.
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

Quote Originally Posted by VaCouple View Post
    This is news to me. I've heard nothing but how good the WiFi is at the resorts.
    We had to go out on our balcony to get the wi-fi to work at CSS, and even then it was very spotty, at best. In our room it was completely worthless. We were in a Beachfront room. Perhaps they've added some wireless access points since our trip last June, but that was our true experience.

There is a WiFi repeater at the Water Sports hut at CSS. If you're close to that, no problem. Of course WiFi performance is much dependent on how many folks are accessing it at any given moment, so early in the morning will be best. If you're really concerned, bring the USB cable for your Nook. You can always go up to the internet lounge by the lobby and plug into one of the computers so WiFi is not a factor.

S/F
    Scott and June

we couldn't download new books while in jamaica. you must download them before you leave.

Heard mixed accounts on this. I guess I'll download some just in case. I'll give it a try once I'm there and report back for future reference. I did google it, found a work around (maybe) if I can't buy a book from there. Said to have someone log into your account in the US, they purchase the book, then you just download it at a wifi spot. Apparently, the issue is purchase of books online while outside the US. We will soon find out!!!
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

I have an iPad and, whilst at CN, a new one was announced
    I was able to order and pay for it on my existing iPad whilst on the beach at CN.
    We were also able to use FaceTime with our dog minder back in the UK.

While here (today's our last day, fly home tomorrow ) I purchased and downloaded a book on my Nook just to find out for sure. So, YES it is possible!
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

I cannot live with my Nook. Had a fine time downloading and reading content on my Nook HD at CTI in 9/2012.