Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Grooming methods for men

Did a search and didn't get much help, so going to ask. I know that pubic hair is a personal choice and nobody really cares what you grooming standards are. However, from a recent trip to the A/N beach we have noticed about as many guys go bare as there are bare women. So, as far as grooming for men, what is the most painless method to go bare? Waxing just sounds painful and shaving could get tricky in certain "terrain". Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Have done both shaving and waxing. Shaving is less painful but more difficult. Shaving Doesn't get all the areas the waxing does. My preference is waxing and personally it is very little pain. I just talk to the person doing the wax for the majority of the time so don't really pay attention to where she is waxing until the pull. Ingrown hairs can sometimes be an issue afterwords however.

As you said, its all good. Just do what you are most comfortable with.

It just takes patience to razor a guy down there...

I use a Gillette Fusion and Coochy shave cream for it, comes out nice and smooth. Need to occasionally scrub down with a loofa to keep the bumps down, thought, although if I shave on a more regular basis...

No 1 on a hand held hair cutter thingy (that barbers use) and bob's yer uncle. Neat and tidy. Razor for the undercarriage (safety razor obviously!).

Quote Originally Posted by BoSoxfans View Post
    Did a search and didn't get much help, so going to ask. I know that pubic hair is a personal choice and nobody really cares what you grooming standards are. However, from a recent trip to the A/N beach we have noticed about as many guys go bare as there are bare women. So, as far as grooming for men, what is the most painless method to go bare? Waxing just sounds painful and shaving could get tricky in certain "terrain". Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
    My husband uses the good old-fashioned shaving method, as do I. Yes, it's tricky but if you go slow and use shaving cream or do it in the shower you should be OK. I used to go in for a professional wax regularly but I hated the fact that I had to let the hair grow out a bit in between waxes, in order for the next wax to have something to attach to. With the shaving method I can "touch up" every day, if I want.

My husband would never think of going in to get waxed, although I know some men will and do.

However, if you choose the waxing method be aware that it's quite uncomfortable. It's not unbearable pain, but it's certainly not a fun experience.

Shaving works the best
    Irie Mon

BoSoxfans ....

I always just trim down to just want a beard trimmer will get. Going bald is just not for me.

However, if you want bald ... you can trim first and then use Nair or other hair removal cream.
    Allan and Angie

Trim first. Shave a few weeks ahead of time and don't expect to get it all the first try. Do it again in a few days and get what you missed. To avoid getting bumps, make sure you use a new blade and dry it completely before putting it away. That isn't a guarantee, but I think it lessens the chances. I know a lot of info for a simple question. Good luck and go bosox!

Sugaring is the method I use...
    Yes, "tricky terrain"...but also sensitive skin...
    Shaving has ALWAYS left razor burn and red bumps...(which is worse than looking like a Chia Pet...lol)

"Sugaring" is similar to waxing...just not as "harsh" and can be applied and reapplied...over and over (on a given spot) until all hair are gone. It does have to be repeated every few weeks (like waxing) but not nearly as often as shaving...plus...doesn't leave stubble...which is really uncomfortable (to you) and your misses...

The hair seems to come back a lot less course (over time) and is softer when it begins to grow back.

I have also had laser treatments...(if you can find a technician that will actually do men...) BUT...you can not expose a "lasered area" to sun light for weeks (or it loose its effectiveness).

Hope this helps...I too studied this a bit...but discovered most of this through trial and error.

Good luck to you on this...!!!

Find an esthetics artist who uses hard wax not soft wax, BIG difference!!! It's a little uncomfortable but with 2 Advil and a shot of tequila, no worries mon!!!

For an alternative to shaving, there is a depilatory product called Magic that works pretty good. We find it at Walgreen drug stores and at Wal-Mart. It comes in cans of powder that you mix with water to a paste then apply. There is a gold can and a green can that has aloe vera. I would recommend the green can if you can find it. It works best if you trim to about an 1/8 inch, apply the paste and leave on for about 5 minutes (give or take, depending on your sensitivity), then wash off using a washcloth.

Shaving with a good razor in a nice hot shower works great. I like the bic comfort 3 with the pivoting head. For a more permanent solution brazilian laser hair removal is a fairly painless procedure that worked fantastic for me.

Thanks to everyone for all the help! Will make use of some before our upcoming trip to Jamaica!

Quote Originally Posted by Crandolph View Post
    For a more permanent solution brazilian laser hair removal is a fairly painless procedure that worked fantastic for me.
    How expensive is the laser treatment?

Thanks to everyone for all the help! Will make use of some before our upcoming trip to Jamaica!

How expensive is the laser treatment?

If you can get a groupon or living social or whatever to a reputable place you can get 8 treatments for around 300-400.00. I recommend a place that uses a Candela laser for best results. Good luck!

Look for a good group on to make it less than $300 for all six sessions

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith2078 View Post
    Look for a good group on to make it less than $300 for all six sessions
    Laser was greatÖ.once itís done. Itís a processóand a commitment. It will likely take more than 6 sessionsóitís a tough area to clear. Some other things I learned: It doesnít work on gray hairóbest is dark hair, light skin. Yes, it does hurt at times, but not horrible. Make sure itís not out-of-whack with the rest of your bodyóif youíre hairy all over like I was youíll need to do other parts to match even itís just reducing hair, not removing completely. Check your humility at the door. You may be comfortable on a nude beach, but this procedure is next-level stuff! The right technician is key. When they are uncomfortable I was uncomfortable. I found someone wonderful who was very matter-of-fact about it, said she had many male clients and it made a big difference. The other thing you need to consider is itís forever. My wife loves it and Iím much more comfortable in my own skin now, but every once in a while I think to myselfówill I someday be in a situation where this wonít be so accepted? It passes quickly. Do it before the gray takes over!

Laser take it from me it's the best! I tried everything. Do your research

Soap, new clean razor, end of shower, nice and slow!

Sugaring is the way to go. Much less painful than wax - it can be pulled in the direction the hair grows so it actually comes out much easier. I usually get it on about 1.5 months before I go and again about 2 weeks prior.

Anyone tried the No No hair removal shaver, are they any good ?

Chillin, from the reviews I've seen I'd stay away from the No NO.

product named Magic takes it off cleanly, neatly, and painlessly

Here's a review of a product you might want to think twice before using.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2QP56S5P2DEGA/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2QP56S5P2DEGA
    Last edited by TravelwithWife; August 6th, 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Link didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelwithWife View Post
    Here's a review of a product you might want to think twice before using.

Amazon.com: A. Chappell's review of Veet for Men Hair Removal Gel Creme 200ml
    Thats funny. Some of the other reviews quite creative as well..

I've only shaved... and I've gotten better with practice, but I understand your concern and obviously not everything gets shaved. So I'm curious as well. That "magic" product sounds promising. I've thought about waxing but haven't crossed that bridge yet.

And a shout out to fellow Red Sox fans! What a turnaround this year!!!!

-Greg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast