Default Questions for CTI - upgrade, spiders, spa hot tubs, & computer access...

First - thanks to everyone who posts on this board because I have learned so much about our upcoming trip (6/30 to 7/5). So here are a couple questions I have:

1) We are in a Superior Ocean Room but considering upgrading to a Deluxe (it's about $4 more per day). Is it worth it? Do I do this before we go or simply ask when we arrive?

2) I saw a post about spiders, specifically large banana spiders. I am absolutely terrified of large spiders! Irrational - yes, but it is what it is. Am I going to be seeing them, have them cross my path, etc. (also thinking of trading places at CSS one day too)? I have already had a nightmare about having our balcony covered in them - silly but it freaked me out!

3) I have read that some people use the spa hot tubs in the evening? Is that correct? Can they be used during the day even if you had a treatment on a different day (including the plunge pool and the steam rooms)?

4) Unfortunately, my husband has to skype into one of his classes on Tuesday night. He is working on his Phd and his instructor won't let him out of the class without taking a full letter grade away. Is it best to bring our own laptop or could he do this at the internet cafe? I told him he could find me at the bar when he's done...hehe!

So that's all I have for now! Thank you in advance for your answers!!! (28 days and counting!!!)

Great choice! You'll love CTI! Here goes:

1. Superior and Deluxe are exact same rooms. The only difference is the view. Deluxe you can see Tower Isle, Sup you cannot. Superior is in bldg 5 and is more peaceful since it faces away from the resort and is the furthest away.. For the $40.00 more, we chose the Deluxe. I would upgrade beforehand as availability @ the resort can be limited.

2. Never saw one bug our entire stay April 25-May 2nd... Just ask for an upper floor room online on pre-check in or call the resort a few days before you leave and ask for upper. Reduces any chance of critters the higher you go up.

3. Never used spa hot tubs.

4. WiFi is good @ CTI but mainly in the center and right side of the resort. Rooms seem to block much of any signal the hallway radios provide due to the thickness of the walls. When I was there they actually added a radio on the 4th floor of bld 4 right outside our room and I helped them test it. Signal was excellent near the door but died when you hit the balcony. Just tell him to Skype from the main lobby or for a quieter place, just sit in the Veranda restaurant. They don't start prepping it until later in the day and very few people go through there. There is no door to it so no worries.

Have a great trip. We miss it so much and it's only been 4 weeks since we got back.

Chris..

We had a Superior Ocean room 5203. It was great! nice and quiet. There is no differents in rooms from Superior to deluxe except the location and view. they are EXACTLY the same. Ours still had a nice view and we requested the same room in August.

We did not see any spiders while we were there, the cats may take care of those.

The hot tubs are avalable at all times to everyone.

We used our ipad all week from all locations it worked great! Even at the bars.

Enjoy your trip!

81 days for us!

I will answer about the spiders. In several trips to CTI, I have never seen one. I was warned about them (the banana spiders) at CSS, but never saw one, thankfully.

I am THE WORLD'S biggest 'fraidy cat when it comes to spiders, so believe me, I would certainly warn you if I thought it was a problem.

1- We have stayed in Superior Ocean and Premier Ocean (sorry no Deluxe experience). I preferred the Superior Ocean because it was always quiet but was a bit of a walk. Premier Ocean has a better view, but do not stay in building 2 if noise bothers you. We weren't able to switch rooms this last time due to availability, but Couples is usually very accommodating in switching you rooms if the one you have doesn't suit you. You can upgrade at check-in and use your resort credit if you have any.

2- We have only gone in April, but I very rarely have seen any bugs. Never any spiders. We did one Trading Places day with CSS and I don't recall seeing any bugs there. I have never had to use bug repellant either.

3-Yes, you can use the spa hot tubs at night and the facilities are available even if you are not receiving a Spa treatment.

4- We only ever used Skype from our phones. Save room for the rum cream and leave the laptop at home.
    Juell and Andy (Jandy)

Quote Originally Posted by jinkies04 View Post
    First - thanks to everyone who posts on this board because I have learned so much about our upcoming trip (6/30 to 7/5). So here are a couple questions I have:

1) We are in a Superior Ocean Room but considering upgrading to a Deluxe (it's about $4 more per day). Is it worth it? Do I do this before we go or simply ask when we arrive? Don't wait as they may not be available when you arrive. Only you know if it's worth it to you to upgrade. We have superior booked for next year, premier for this year and in previous stays. We have friends who have stayed in Superior and loved that it was so quiet. The biggest con, if there were any, is that it doesn't look directly out to the ocean, but over a cove at the end of the resort.

2) I saw a post about spiders, specifically large banana spiders. I am absolutely terrified of large spiders! Irrational - yes, but it is what it is. Am I going to be seeing them, have them cross my path, etc. (also thinking of trading places at CSS one day too)? I have already had a nightmare about having our balcony covered in them - silly but it freaked me out!I am terrified of spiders also, and I can't remember every seeing one at CTI. Not saying they aren't there, just guess I've been too busy with other things.

3) I have read that some people use the spa hot tubs in the evening? Is that correct? Can they be used during the day even if you had a treatment on a different day (including the plunge pool and the steam rooms)?The plunge pools are at the villas and not public. You can use hot tubs anytime. There are two at the spa which are separate, in that there is one on the side by the men's locker room and one on the side by the women's locker room. The steam rooms are in the locker rooms and are locked at night as they are part of the spa. There is also a hot tub by the main pool which is open all day. The only time you can't use it, is when they are cleaning it.

4) Unfortunately, my husband has to skype into one of his classes on Tuesday night. He is working on his Phd and his instructor won't let him out of the class without taking a full letter grade away. Is it best to bring our own laptop or could he do this at the internet cafe? I told him he could find me at the bar when he's done...hehe!He can do this from the internet cafe, the down side, it's not private, so he may want to bring his laptop so he can sit where he is most comfortable. Perhaps on the patio overlooking the beach and ocean He could even SKYPE from the bar.

So that's all I have for now! Thank you in advance for your answers!!! (28 days and counting!!!)
    See you on the 29th!
    Vicky

You'll enjoy your trip to CTI! We're loving our trip (2nd) right now!

1. Only if you really want an unobstructed view of the ocean. You probably won't spend a lot of time in the room, and frankly the views are great no matter what room you're in (we've done both Superior and Deluxe)

2. So far, the only spiders I've seen are above the parrot cage by the spa, and the only way you could get to them would be with a fairly tall ladder. Haven't seen any elsewhere on the resort. Never seen a spider on our balcony...

3. You can use the hot tubs at the spa any time, whether you have a treatment or not. During the day, they are separated by sex, after the spa closes at 7pm, the hot tubs go coed. HOWEVER! They are not AN at any time!

4. Not sure on the Skype. I'm using my laptop in our room right now, but the internet connection tends to be hit-or-miss. Might be better down by the Internet room, but I'm not dragging my laptop all the way down there...

Enjoy your trip!
    Jason & Kathy

1) IMHO depends on which building you get for the Deluxe Room. Might be worth it if it's building 4 for the view, but I think Building 1 (the other one with Deluxe Rooms) can be just too noisy at night. In that case, I would stay with the Superior.

2) Never saw even one spider when I was at CTI. Try not to worry!

3) Spa hot tubs are available after 7 pm when they become "co-ed". During the day they are segregated...one for men, one for women, so you wouldn't be able to enjoy it with your spouse anyway before 7 pm.

4) Don't know about skpe at the internet café....

1. For only $4 more go for the deluxe. It would be a better location and better view. I don't think I'd spend the money for the premier rooms (those are the new rooms near the main pool)
    2. I hate spiders too, but in all our trips to Couples I don't recall seeing any that worried me, let alone a huge banana spider.
    2b.CSS is nice to visit especially if you want to check out Sunset beach, but if you're only staying 5 nights at CTI, for me, it would be hard to pull away and lose a whole day at CTI. Just my opinion.
    3. I believe those hot tubs and the tranquility pool are open at night as well as during the day to any guest as long as the proper respect is paid to the spa guests.
    4. sorry cant help

2) I saw a post about spiders, specifically large banana spiders. I am absolutely terrified of large spiders! Irrational - yes, but it is what it is. Am I going to be seeing them, have them cross my path, etc. (also thinking of trading places at CSS one day too)? I have already had a nightmare about having our balcony covered in them - silly but it freaked me out!

4) Unfortunately, my husband has to skype into one of his classes on Tuesday night. He is working on his Phd and his instructor won't let him out of the class without taking a full letter grade away. Is it best to bring our own laptop or could he do this at the internet cafe? I told him he could find me at the bar when he's done...hehe!
    I have answers/suggestions to your questions #2 and #4.

Regarding the banana spiders - I'm not sure how many you'll see but I encourage you to swallow your fear and take a good look if you do see one. Chances are that if you see one it will be in foliage and not be in your personal space. I, too, used to be absolutely terrified of spiders, but then I moved to a warm, humid climate and we had quite a few banana spiders around. I grew to like them and be fascinated by them. They are absolutely harmless and they also happen to be truly beautiful. Also, they capture and eat all those nasty bugs that really are pests! So give yourself a chance to get over your fear because you just might be able to see the beauty in the banana spiders.

Regarding your husband having to skype into one of his classes on Tuesday night and whether you should use your own laptop or use the internet cafe... I would strongly recommend that he bring his own laptop for two reasons: #1) There is no guarantee that you will find an available computer in the internet cafe and the time he needs to skype into the class; and #2) If he happens to find an available computer in the internet cafe and uses Skype to converse with others he might be disturbing others who are also using computers in the internet cafe.

My husband has had to check in with work periodically and attend certain meetings via Skype when we've been on vacation and he always brings his laptop so that he knows he will have access to a computer when he needs to get online. If this class is important enough to your husband that he can't miss it then I think it's worth it to bring your own laptop. Also, it's been my experience that the internet cafe is usually busier during the evening hours than during the daytime hours. It seems that during the day people are out enjoying the resort, but in the evenings people take the time either before or after dinner to get online and check-in with family and check e-mail. Therefore, it can be difficult to find an available computer in the internet cafe in the evenings.

Oh, and brownie points to you for being understanding regarding your husband having to attend class while on vacation! I'm always understanding of my husband having to work sometimes while we are on vacation but I know not every wife would be. I hope your hubby knows what a gem he has in you!

We had the Deluxe, looking out over the Swim up bar, great room..... My wife is terrified of ALL spiders........ Never seen any! Can't say about the Spa hot tubs, we used the one's looking out to Sea..... Not sure if they have Skype, so take the Lap top, but figure some one will let you know on here..... Enjoy, relax and have fun..... It's a wonderful place to be.

1. I would upgrade, we were in Deluxe last year (building 4), loved the location. Booked Premier this year wanted to try the other side
    2. Did not see any
    3. We hardly ever saw anyone using them, occupancy was low
    4. Internet was spotty in our room but it did work. I would take a laptop. I take laptop and ipad.

1 - we like superior for the view - not only tower isle, but bayside and the whole beachside of the resort. However, if you plan to sleep during the day, it can be noisy from the swim up pool.
    2 - never seen spiders. Ants, yes - don't leave food in your room.
    3 - best hot tubs are the ones by the spa, and are coed after the spa closes. We've even been in at midnight, no problems.
    4 - skyping to contact loved ones works fine from the room we had. Our wireless repeater we linked to was the swimup bar one. However, even going near the hall caused the signal to drop once in a while. The wireless in the rooms is great for emails, pics, facebook, etc, but the lobby or internet cafe are better bets for skyping or streaming. I'd bring earbuds and keep the talking to a minimum if you can just to be considerate to others.

Thanks so much for the replies to my questions!

1. Upgrade question - decided to stay with the Superior Room. Neither of us feel that strongly so we will just stay where we are.
    2. Spiders - feeling much better about this issue. My husband says he will take care of spider patrol and try to make sure that I don't get near any. A friend suggested that I just stay drunk the whole time and then I wouldn't care!!!
    3. Hot tubs - will plan on a spa treatment so we can try them in the day and then if we can at night too!
    4. Skype/Computer issue - My husband had to load a program (not Skype but similar) for his class so we have to bring the laptop anyway. Thanks for the tip to try other than the internet cafe. I may use the email also to get in touch with family so that works good to have the laptop.

We have 9 more days!!! I did the pre-check in already so I think the suitcases need to come out this weekend and start getting filled. Soooooo excited about the trip!!!

Thanks again for all the help - I greatly appreciate it!!!

I know you are already planning on bringing your laptop, but for those who are wanting to Skype from the Cafe. There are not cameras and the CPUs are locked in the cabinet so you would be unable to connect one. If you want to Skype, you need to bring your own laptop, tablet, or phone.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

See below in BLUE

1) We are in a Superior Ocean Room but considering upgrading to a Deluxe (it's about $4 more per day). Is it worth it? Do I do this before we go or simply ask when we arrive? If you can afford it bump it up even further to a SUITE! The One Bedroom Suite have Jacuzzi tubs and mini-bars in the room

2) I saw a post about spiders, specifically large banana spiders. I am absolutely terrified of large spiders! Irrational - yes, but it is what it is. Am I going to be seeing them, have them cross my path, etc. (also thinking of trading places at CSS one day too)? I have already had a nightmare about having our balcony covered in them - silly but it freaked me out! We were there in June two years ago and did not see a single spide (my hubby is also absolutely terrified of spiders of ALL SIZES lol)

3) I have read that some people use the spa hot tubs in the evening? Is that correct? Can they be used during the day even if you had a treatment on a different day (including the plunge pool and the steam rooms)? We were of the adventurous type and hot tubbed at the spa almost every night - you're not really supposed to talk about it, but it is open and there were other people there each night. The one night a few of us brought down beers from our rooms which was a blast. I am not sure about using it during the day w/o treatment. However there are more hot tubs around the resort that you can use during the day.

4) Unfortunately, my husband has to skype into one of his classes on Tuesday night. He is working on his Phd and his instructor won't let him out of the class without taking a full letter grade away. Is it best to bring our own laptop or could he do this at the internet cafe? I told him he could find me at the bar when he's done...hehe! We brought a computer last time and didn't have trouble with the internet from our room. We were close to the lobby though

So that's all I have for now! Thank you in advance for your answers!!! (28 days and counting!!!) You leave soon and will have a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!