Default Keeping in touch

If you and your spouse/significant other split up at all during the day (ie. for a spa service or yoga class) are you able to keep in touch via text message at the resort (CSA) without huge fees (we have iPhones through Verizon)...or do you just plan a time/place to meet up again? Not even sure that I even want to use my phone for anything except taking pictures but I could see us having trouble finding each other at a big resort Thanks!

We were not able to text down there (also have Verizon) as it uses mobile data and if you have it on so you can text, you will get all of your calls and texts as well. Any messaging service that is internet based, like Facebook, you could go through the WIFI and receive messages that way, but I've found there can be a delay with this sometimes.

Check with your carrier about fees, but they are pretty huge. If you leave data on and never use the phone expect to get hit with some pretty outrages charges as your phone checks for data updates periodically. Best bet is to leave the phones off and go old school and just plan out where and when to meet. Plenty of places to meet (the bar) where who ever is there first will have something to do (drink).

S/F
    Scott and June

Full disclosure I haven't been to CSA yet, but we are going in Dec, so I've done some reading on the boards about smartphones/wifi. Our plan is to turn off data roaming, go into airplane mode, and connect to the wifi. Then we can iMessage/email/Facetime/etc. without racking up cell phone bill charges.

Hopefully others who have been can confirm this will work!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    If you and your spouse/significant other split up at all during the day (ie. for a spa service or yoga class) are you able to keep in touch via text message at the resort (CSA) without huge fees (we have iPhones through Verizon)...or do you just plan a time/place to meet up again? Not even sure that I even want to use my phone for anything except taking pictures but I could see us having trouble finding each other at a big resort Thanks!
    If you both have iphones, you can turn phone to airline mode (prior to getting to MBJ), enter the wireless code CSA will give you at checkin, then use text messaging. This can be used with anyone who uses iphone (aka imessage). We did this back in April and was even able to text with people back in states that had iphones.

The only issue to keep in mind, when the phone goes to sleep, it disconnects from the wireless network (atleast mine did). Once you wake it up, and give it a minute to connect, then you will receive your messages. And some places at CSA the signal isnt as strong, and during busy times (early morning and early evening) it can be slow.

For anyone reading this that doesn't have iphones, you can accomplish same thing downloading a messing app, like Yahoo Instant Messenger.

We've never seen a need to do that... when I go off to the spa for an appt he knows I'll be about an hour and will just let me know where he'll be (on the beach, at the swim up bar etc...) and I'll go there. You'll see that time is not as important there as at home, it's quite relaxing and freeing!

Phone calls and text messaging are really expensive outside of the US. Even if you don't send messages, if you receive them, you get charged also. When we went to CSS this last March, we didn't even turn our phones on from the time we took off from Chicago, until we landed back in Chicago at the end of our trip. However, I bet the iphone has a really cool app that you can download to be able to communicate with each other over wifi, instead of using the cell service.

We never split up. Kinda the reason for going to Couples... I do run to the internet cafe' by myself and meet back at the beach or room.

Life is good

We take our walkie talkie's with us and use those

We just plan when and where to meet. We actually don't part ways often so it is not a problem for us.

You'd have to meet up again. Don't use your phone unless you have an international package--unless you want to pay out the wazoo!!!! You'll likely find that you won't split up that often, if at all. Couples promotes togetherness....& you'll prob find you want your sweetie around more than you'd think!

'Big' resort is a relative term. Yes, CSA is larger than CN or CTI as it is spread out, but it is not a 'Big' resort. You really won't have any problem finding your spouse. You can always make plans to meet up later. I wouldn't turn my phone on. You will get hefty fees from the carrier.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Perhaps try taking a small set of walkie talkies???

We just know or plan where the other will be. The resorts are not so large that it is difficult to find each other.