Hybrid View

Default What Would You Choose – Airline Tickets

We are headed back to CN next February (14th trip) and I had enough airline miles to get First Class tickets. We have traveled First Class before, but most of the time it’s been coach.

We had a choice for our return trip back to Boston in First Class with a stop in Charlotte (with a 3 ½ hour layover), and arriving around midnight Saturday night, or we could fly direct to Boston in coach, and arriving around 7:30 Saturday night.

It was a tough choice because we bring Rum Cream home with us. With a direct flight, we wouldn’t have to worry about putting the Rum Cream into checked luggage. But with First Class, we can have 2 checked bags each, with no extra fees, and there would be plenty of room to put the Rum Cream in the luggage.

We selected First Class. What would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by John_NH View Post
    We are headed back to CN next February (14th trip) and I had enough airline miles to get First Class tickets. We have traveled First Class before, but most of the time it’s been coach.

We had a choice for our return trip back to Boston in First Class with a stop in Charlotte (with a 3 ½ hour layover), and arriving around midnight Saturday night, or we could fly direct to Boston in coach, and arriving around 7:30 Saturday night.

It was a tough choice because we bring Rum Cream home with us. With a direct flight, we wouldn't have to worry about putting the Rum Cream into checked luggage. But with First Class, we can have 2 checked bags each, with no extra fees, and there would be plenty of room to put the Rum Cream in the luggage.

We selected First Class. What would you choose?
    I think this is a personal decision. Me, I travel a lot, and the amount of miles they charge for FC (or even Caribbean coach) is usually high unless you find a low season deal. I'd rather save my miles for going to Europe First Class, which in some cases isn't much higher.

Sounds like you are flying US Air, just an FYI neither of the flights is long enough for you to get an onboard meal. Instead you will get a snack basket of choices. So you may need that long layover to have dinner.

What airline was your direct flight option in Coach? This too may have played into a decision for some/me, like a JetBlue flight with Directv. Us Air has limited entertainment options.

No question...First Class all the way!! You work hard all year, so treat yourselves. Life is short...enjoy.
    Just wish JetBlue had First Class! Used to fly US Air First Class years ago. What a great experience!

First class all the way. The free drinks make me feel like I'm extending my vacation just a little bit longer

First class hands down!
    Two years ago, I sat in the same row of seats with a couple and their 18 month old daughter. It was a horrible trip - the parents made no effort to control her at all. The flight attendant offered complimentary glasses of wine because she felt so bad for me.....
    We now use miles to upgrade and won't fly coach again!
    Jan and Mark
    CN 2009
    CSA 2011
    CSA 2013
    CSS 2014

I like direct flights any day

Boy, that is a tough one. The standard answer is that you always pick a direct flight over a connecting flight - less chance of delays, lost luggage, missed flights, etc. We live in Buffalo and we can't get a direct flight hardly anywhere, but we could drive to Toronto to get a direct flight to Jamaica. However, we choose to take the connecting flights out of Buffalo in first class (I, too, redeem my frequent flier miles). We've never had a problem with our rum cream getting broken in the checked bag (but we are careful to wrap it carefully). A 3 1/2 hour layover does seem like a long time, but it will take you awhile to get through immigration, customs, and security. Charlotte has a big food court and Big Daddy's restaurant has some of the best burgers at an airport anywhere. I think you made the right choice going first class. The seats are more comfortable, you have more room, you get preferred boarding, and you're first in line for immigration. Bob doesn't mind the free booze, either.

Are you kidding ?? First Class for sure !! It's so hard to travel Coach once you get used to 1st Class !! Thank goodness for those US Air miles (hope they're still good once they're American).

Signed,
    The Princess (or so my husband tells me !!)

Jackie, you are more like a queen. Hugs

First Class for sure! The other option I do if First or Business Class is not available is buy 3 seats in coach (especially if direct flight.) My comfort is much more important to me now. It is First Class relaxation when my wife and I are at Couples. I want the trip to and from to be relaxing and comfortable too! Just part of the cost of the trip.

Avoid as many airports as you can.
    Fly direct.