Default Afraid of Heights

Here's my dilemma... Yes, I'm afraid of heights. But every time I'm sitting on the beach at CSA I'm mesmerized by the people who parasail! It looks so inviting and peaceful. Last year we were there with my sister and brother-in-law and she asked me to do it with her. I chickened out. She's parasailed numerous times. We are all going back together in August 2014 to celebrate our 25th anniversary. I'd love to work up the courage to try it and cross it off my bucket list.

So, for those of you who also have this phobia...did you ever parasail? How was it? I don't want to get up to 100 ft and have a panic attack!!! Not pretty. Should I give it a go and bite the bullet? What's your advice?

Thanks!
    CN- 1x
    CSS 3x
    CSA- trip # 3 in 54 days!
    CSA- Aug. 2104

Don't do it.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I did it a few years by myself. Hubby chickend out! It was scary at first but very cool. Have some liquid courage and give it a go !!

OK, now I can comment on this one. I have a horrible fear of heights but this was something I really wanted to do, so I bravely sucked it up and went flying with my wife and another couple. Scared out of my wits, they strapped me in and off we went. It was AMAZING. So calm as very steady. The only thing that got to me was when they turned the boat, the turn buckle on the harness made some banging and popping sounds but after the first time it happened, I was OK. They slow down at one point and you slowly drift down until your feet hit the water and then they gun the engine a back up you go. It was my first trip and now I have done it once again on another trip. The view is breath taking. Do it, do it, do it....DO IT...! Oh, yes the boat ride is fun too.

My wife is also afflicted with an intense fear of heights. She won't even let me walk over to observation decks like at Half Dome in Yosemite because it makes her physically ill. However, for some reason, she loves to parasail in Negril. We go every year and have a great time. You are basically sitting in a harness and it is very peaceful and quiet up there. Go for it!
    Jack & Donna

I have the same phobia and on a trip to Punta Cana for our wedding I watched the parasailers for most of the week trying to get up enough courage to give it a try. One morning I said ok, I can do this, so off we went and it's hard to describe but it's not like you're up high, you don't have that feeling of being so high. It's absolutely quiet, you don't hear anything and it's like you're floating but without the frame of reference you would have on top of a high building. I was happy I gave it a try and would do it again with no worries.
    (Karen&Paul)

It's more than a fear of heights. It's a safety thing.
    Do a you tube search.

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Don't do it.
    Wally, are you suggesting not to do it because of her fear of heights, or because you had a bad parasailing experience? I'm curious b/c my hubby and I intend to parasail during our Oct '14 trip to CSA. Thanks!

I have a very intense fear of heights as well, and my wife talked me into parasailing when we were at CSA in 2011. I would absolutely recommend it. The view is breathtaking up there. It's a very smooth and peaceful ride. Just close your eyes for a few seconds while you're lifting off the boat, and before you know it, you're floating through the sky.

You won't regret it.

Default Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by KarenON View Post
    I have the same phobia and on a trip to Punta Cana for our wedding I watched the parasailers for most of the week trying to get up enough courage to give it a try. One morning I said ok, I can do this, so off we went and it's hard to describe but it's not like you're up high, you don't have that feeling of being so high. It's absolutely quiet, you don't hear anything and it's like you're floating but without the frame of reference you would have on top of a high building. I was happy I gave it a try and would do it again with no worries.
    OK, I'm going to be the naysayer here. About 15 years ago my husband and I were in the Bahamas and decided we wanted to go parasailing. I had been parasailing multiple time in multiple locations but my hubby had never been. The take-off was from a floating dock. I went up and had a great time. Then it was my husband's turn. They got him strapped into the harness connected to the parachute which was on the dock behind him, and they were in the process of hooking the cable up to the boat when all of a sudden a huge gust of wind came up and picked up the parachute into the air. The airborne parachute lifted my husband up into the air and out over the water about 10 feet away, and then the parachute collapsed onto the water. It quickly became water-logged and began to sink, carrying my husband with it. My husband was being pulled under water before my very eyes! He was desperately trying to disengage the harness but he couldn't get out of it (which makes sense, since it is supposed to be ultra-secure for keeping you attached to the parachute when it [I]is in the air[I]! The parasailing guys on the dock were panicking (as was I) and they were yelling to each other but nobody was jumping in the water to save my husband. I honestly thought he was going to drown. It was like something from a movie, he kept going under then coming up and gulping for air before the heavy, waterlogged parachute pulled him underwater again. I kept yelling to the parasailing guys to jump in and release him from the harness but they just kept yelling at each other. Finally, after what seemed like a very, very long few minutes, one of them jumped in and swam to my husband and released him from the harness that was connected to the sinking parachute. My husband was safe but completely shaken up, as was I. He had swallowed a lot of water and, once he was on the floating dock he bent over and began coughing up tons of water and appeared to be throwing up some, too. He and I both realized how very close he had come to drowning.

After that experience, I swore off parasailing. I used to think that parasailing in the U.S. would be safer, but I later learned that even in the U.S. there appears to be no agency regulating the industry. The U.S. Coast Guard reported in 2011 that they are working with some organizations to develop parasailing industry standards for the U.S., but there are none in place now.

Oh, and just in case you think my experience was a once-in-a-million-years occurrence, here is a link about a bride who died while on her honeymoon, parasailing in the Bahamas in 2011: Honeymoon Tragedy: After Parasailing Accident, Groom, Family Grieve for Bride, Crystal Rodriguez - ABC News

Obviously, my advice, given my past experience, would be to forego the parasailing experience altogether. It's just not worth your life.

I am reminded of my wife , watching a person parasail , and telling me "I want to do that!" I said "OK, but you've been drinking, let's wait a bit." She said "If I am not drinking, I won't want to go."

Other than the launch, and coming down, I personally found it quite boring. You are not missing much IMO.

I went parasailing on vacation in Myrtle Beach. I wouldn't say I'm extremely afraid of heights, but definitely not okay with them most of the time. My problem is mostly the feeling when you fall. Parasailing doesn't involved falling, so for me it was okay. That isn't to say I wasn't scared before they hooked me up to go up. It was incredibly peaceful. It was so peaceful that I personally wouldn't do it again in the same location twice.

My only recommendation is make sure you're seated in the harness correctly. I was not and it was incredibly uncomfortable.

I thought the parasail operators were scarier. Make sure you tip them if you decide to go.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by MBMon View Post
    Wally, are you suggesting not to do it because of her fear of heights, or because you had a bad parasailing experience? I'm curious b/c my hubby and I intend to parasail during our Oct '14 trip to CSA. Thanks!
    As Umberto stated it's more of a safety thing. Parasailing is not regulated in Jamaica, like it is in the US. We did go Parasailing while we were at Coupes Negril. The harness looked study enough, but it was attached to the boat with a thin, frayed rope and a small knot. Couples does not recommend it and in fact they recommend not doing it.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    As Umberto stated it's more of a safety thing. Parasailing is not regulated in Jamaica, like it is in the US. We did go Parasailing while we were at Coupes Negril. The harness looked study enough, but it was attached to the boat with a thin, frayed rope and a small knot. Couples does not recommend it and in fact they recommend not doing it.
    Thank you for your honesty... you both have brought up incredibly good points. It's easy to overlook things when you're on vacation & feeling fearless, you know? I think we'll stick with the incredible view from beach-level.