Default CB - Barbados BGI Flights ???

Ok, lets try to work together to get this figured out

According to my research, there are several International Airports to fly from (for Eastern/Midwest US)...
    Miami <-- THE most popular city for direct flight to BGI, other Int'l airports often have connection here
    Atlanta
    JFK NY
    Chicago
    Houston
    Charlotte
    Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia
    Boston
    Cinci
    St Louis
    DC
    Toronto

Most common airline I keep seeing with cheapest flights is American (or Air Canada)

Two main arrival times into BGI, 2pm and 10pm.

Here is my own personal dilemma.... Our reservation at CB is from THURS 8/1- SAT 8/10. Now, I'd really like to arrive at CB in the afternoon. Problem being, I would have to add on a date to our reservation and arrive 7/31, or arrive on 8/1 at 10pm (and I do not want to pay that much to enjoy the hotel maybe for an hour!) I'd be more likely to arrive at BGI 7/31 10pm and sleep in the airport and get to CB bright and early on 8/1

Now, we do not mind leaving our departing city (we are VERY open to this, will drive or take train or fly, anywhere within 300-500 miles of mid Michigan) on 7/31 and staying overnight somewhere in a connection city 7/31 to arrive at BGI in the afternoon on 8/1.

I REALLY wish there was a way to say: "I want to arrive at BGI on 8/1 at 2pm - where (and when) should I leave from to get the cheapest flight?" ....

Please, if you've already booked, list your dates and departing city > connecting city (or cities) > arrival time at BGI. And, Id appreciate a price range of what's already been booked...

Thanks!!

Kelly and Derrick

You could fly from Chicago or Detroit into Louisville, KY the night before. And then take the flights I listed before (Lou-Charlotte-BGI) which would get you in at 2pm. Return flight leaves around 3pm and goes through Charlotte and then to Louisville at midnight. Could stay over in Louisville again and then take first flight out to either Chicago or Detroit. Or maybe there are direct flights from Chi/Detroit to Charlotte? Just a few thoughts.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

Default flights

Quote Originally Posted by Sympa View Post
    Ok, lets try to work together to get this figured out

I REALLY wish there was a way to say: "I want to arrive at BGI on 8/1 at 2pm - where (and when) should I leave from to get the cheapest flight?" ....
    There is--use a travel agent for your entire booking. They are the professionals.

We wanted to go to CB but after checking flights and prices......... USAirways is not flying every day to Barbados this fall.

We could drive several hundred miles to Philly or NYC, or fly to canada and wait hours for a connection and then fly 6-7 hours to Barbados, stay overnight somewhere OR

get on a plane at 7:45 a.m. and be in MoBay at 11:30 and be drinking mudslides on the beach at 2:00, all of this with a connection in CLT

You listed Toronto. Is it possible for you to leave from there? We're coming from the west coast (Vancouver) and flying through Toronto on a red eye with WestJet. We're used to this type of routing, as there are few places we can fly to direct. Often we fly out of Seattle and have a stop in a US hub, but this worked better and we used airmiles. Anyway, I digress....
    Our flight leaves Toronto at 9:15 am and arrives in Barbados at 3:31 pm. This gives us enough time to relax a bit before dinner.
    If you do decide to take a flight that arrive late, perhaps you can stay the first night at a cheaper hotel and then transfer to CB in mid morning/early afternoon the next day? We considered this for a trip to Couples in Jamaica, but found other flights. We did do a direct flight to Jamaica to CSA and we got to the resort really late (like 10 pm or later) and had no time to enjoy it that day. It was a bit of a waste of a night financially, so I hear what you're saying.... but staying at the airport all night would suck. Go somewhere cheap, off beach and get some rest to prep for CB

Quote Originally Posted by landj View Post
    There is--use a travel agent for your entire booking. They are the professionals.
    600 would be great!!! Im seeing 800-1200!!
    Maybe its just our dates....
    And, I have a TA who hasnt been very successful either.

I am with you drbcwp on the flight to MoBay. I really want to go to Barbados but the flights are terrible around where we live. I am really hoping that opening up such a popular resort in Barbados might improve the flight situation for more of us.

Flights have to be the biggest downside so far to the whole planning thing. I'll start with the problems and finish with the positives.

First the travel times are long. Flying out of Little Rock it's a 2 stop (Dallas and Miami or Atlanta, forget which) journey that leaves around 10 AM CST and arrives at BGI at 10:20 UST which is, what, 11h20m from the original takeoff to touchdown and that doesn't include travel time to the airport, getting there early, or getting from BGI to CB. And, coming back is about the same, and the only way to avoid an overnight trip back is to leave BGI at 6:45 AM. Blah. Second, in order to do this, we're paying, collectively, about $500 more than flying into MoBay (or Nassau). So...really, it's a 7 night, 6 day trip.

But, staying the 7th night (Sun-Sun) got the extra $500 air credit which is less than the room costs. So...that was a no-brainer. Since we originally were just going to go Sun-Sat somewhere in Jamaica or the Bahamas, we lose the first sunday afternoon, but gain all day Saturday which will be the last day we spend there.

For us, since we were looking at a 6 night stay originally, getting paid to stay the 7th night and prolong the honeymoon offset the long travel times. Can't say it will work that way for everyone, but for us it worked perfectly. Plus, I wanted to go somewhere a little more off the beaten path anyway, and am so thankful for this opportunity.

Getting off the beaten path has a price. Regardless of where you're coming from, keep in mind the population of Jamaica is nearly 10 times the population of Barbados (2.7 million compared to 287,00). There will NEVER be the flexibility of flights into Barbados that there is into Jamaica. It may get better for some, but most will need to pay the price in time and inconvenience to experience Barbados.

S/F
    Scott and June

Default My opinion

All of this discussion is the reason I came to the conclusion a couple of months ago that I think Couples made a big mistake purchasing this property - lack of access from US. However, discussions with the European crowd is that it is a shorter flight for them to Barbados than Jamaica. So, we will just have to wait to see how things shake out.

True, usmc7236, there is a price to pay to get someplace a little more remote. In this case, for us, it didn't and that worked out great as I said above. Who knows if American will start offering more flights to BGI or if other airlines will pick up their service to and from.....beyond my area of expertise.

I will say, though, that the anticipation when travelling is awesome. I love flying into Cancun (only AI's I've been to) and often times find myself enjoying the flight/trip in just as much as any part of the vacation. Of course being on a beach, sipping a toddy would likely rank higher on most everyone's list when compared to sitting in an airport. But, I don't know...I just count it as part of the vacation and enjoy the people watching whilst sipping on the last Budweiser I'll have for a week. Earlier I said our honeymoon was really a 7 night 6 day vacation. But really I should count the first day - the one spent in airports - as well.

Spending 12 hours coming home though....that sucks.

We are booked at CB 7/30~8/6
    Flying out of BWI and connecting in Miami was our only option. Our flight leaves here 6am & after connection,
    arrives BGI 2pm. Return flight is leave BGI 3pm, connect in Miami & arrive Bwi on 8/7 just past midnight. I'm not a big fan
    of connections, but our layovers are roughly an hour & a half each way. While I agree that the prices for flights are high, we
    are anxious to visit Barbados & the rates for Couples are a great incentive. I ended up booking with a travel agent after doing
    all of the background research myself.....just gives me peace of mind & that is what vacations are meant for!!!
    Look for us on the beach or at the bar! Hope to see you there Kelly & Derrick!

Kathie & Bill

Quote Originally Posted by katlloyd View Post
    We are booked at CB 7/30~8/6
    Flying out of BWI and connecting in Miami was our only option. Our flight leaves here 6am & after connection,
    arrives BGI 2pm. Return flight is leave BGI 3pm, connect in Miami & arrive Bwi on 8/7 just past midnight. I'm not a big fan
    of connections, but our layovers are roughly an hour & a half each way. While I agree that the prices for flights are high, we
    are anxious to visit Barbados & the rates for Couples are a great incentive. I ended up booking with a travel agent after doing
    all of the background research myself.....just gives me peace of mind & that is what vacations are meant for!!!
    Look for us on the beach or at the bar! Hope to see you there Kelly & Derrick!

Kathie & Bill
    We are booked for CB 7/29-8/5 flying out of PHL (from DE). *waves* to our fellow NE neighbor!! Our wedding is booked for Fri, 8/2... so I'm sure you will see us, LOL