Default Tips for motion sickness

We are headed to CSA in October and I was wondering if any of you have any tips for me since I get sea sick really easily. I also get a car sick, plane sick and all around motion sick LOL. It's not that I haven't gone on vacation before we've gone to Mexico the last 3 years in a row but this upcoming trip is first time I will want to go out in a boat with the glass bottom boat and the catamaran cruise etc. BUT I don't want to be sick doing it. I've never gotten sick literally like throwing up but my stomach and head hurt something fierce any time I'm on a boat and lasts rest of the day. I don't want that to happen. The plane I can sleep through and the car ride I make sure to get air and stare out a window. But boats are the worst for me. I'd rather not take something medication wise that will make me all medicine head/drowsy all day and not get to drink LOL. Didnt know if any of you have any tried and true tricks Thanks in advance!

Hello.
    I suffer from horrible motion sickness too, so have picked up a few tricks over the years. When close to shore keep your eyes on the horizon, starring at a fixed point really helps. Don't walk around if you can avoid it - just pick a nice spot at the centre of the boat, where it's steadiest. You can also try the motion sickness bands which sit around your wrists and work on an acupressure principle. Any sweets/candies with ginger are also really great. Hope this helps

When my family and I went whale watching in Washington state I got really sea sick. First time in my life. The naturalist on board gave me a piece of fresh
    ginger to suck on. Don't chew it. It worked great and I was able to stand on deck looking at the whale. Best remedy I had ever heard of.

I was in the Navy and occasionally venture out in the ocean for work. I find that the prescription Scopalomine patches work for some but they can make you feel drowsy with a dry mouth - I don't like them. What works pretty good for me are the Bonine tablets. They are non-prescription and are Meclizine-based chewable tabs that are also sold as generics at CVS, Walgreens etc. Although they do say alcohol can increase effects with them but I've had a few beers with no issues. If there is a herbal remedy I'd like to hear about it also.

I get air sick and car sick (especially if I can't be in the front of the car). I also have vertigo so I take meclizine (bonine) every day.

I use these for the plane/car:

Sea Band homepage | Sea-Band

They work very well. I grew up on boats when I was a kid. Surprisingly enough, I don't get sea sick.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

when you are on the Cat cruise focus on the mountians and the island. do not look out at the ocean that will get you sick if you are prone to it.

Seabands. They are cotton wrist bands with a little plastic nub that you wear on the inside against your wrist. They work on the basis of accupressure. My wife and daughter both suffer from motion sickness and swear by them.

Ginger pills work

My husband uses non drowset dramamine. It seems to do the trick.

The best thing I have found for motion sickness (after you start to feel bad) is to chew on a lemon or lime wedge. It sound strange but works very quickly. Ginger is also supposed to help prevent motion sickness. I don't know about CSA but the cat cruise at CTI was fabulous and I had no trouble. The glass bottom boat I did. Remember to look up often and look around. Good luck and enjoy!
    Bonnie & Jon

When we took our cruises I used the wristbands. They use the pressure points in your wrist. We had one day on our last cruise that was so windy they would not let us up on deck, and you had one heck of a time walking on the ship, and I never had any problems when a lot of people were getting sea sick. They are reasonable in cost, and the good thing is they do not cause drowsyness. You should be able to get them at any drug store. I believe I picked mine up at Walmart, although I had to ask for them.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Patterson Koch View Post
    We are headed to CSA in October and I was wondering if any of you have any tips for me since I get sea sick really easily. I also get a car sick, plane sick and all around motion sick LOL. It's not that I haven't gone on vacation before we've gone to Mexico the last 3 years in a row but this upcoming trip is first time I will want to go out in a boat with the glass bottom boat and the catamaran cruise etc. BUT I don't want to be sick doing it. I've never gotten sick literally like throwing up but my stomach and head hurt something fierce any time I'm on a boat and lasts rest of the day. I don't want that to happen. The plane I can sleep through and the car ride I make sure to get air and stare out a window. But boats are the worst for me. I'd rather not take something medication wise that will make me all medicine head/drowsy all day and not get to drink LOL. Didnt know if any of you have any tried and true tricks Thanks in advance!
    I feel your pain, I get motion sickness constantly, especially when sun is shining bright. Since I don't want any moment of vacation to be ruined, I just take Dramamine whenever i will be in car, plane, boat, etc

So at CSA I take on plane, again for shuttle ride (unless in was less than 6 hrs since first dose), whenever i leave resort by car/bus, every boat ride including Cat Cruise. Sounds like you only need it for the boat part. If you are worried try non-drowsy Dramamine or Bonine. When we use to cruise I would take Bonine which lasts for 24 hours but never made me drowsy, and wasn't as strong as Dramamine (for me at least).

I feel your pain ..... I never used to get motion sick at all but about the time I hit 35, it started & is so bad that I have thrown up on boats, helicopters, & small planes .... I'm so sensitive to it that even being on my floatie in Bloody Bay (which is normally calm as glass) if a jet ski stirs up a wake or swinging in a porch swing makes me queasy. Meds NEVER helped at all. Spent my entire time on the cat cruise once with a HORRIBLE headache & a bag of ice on the back of my neck (thanks to the bartender) trying not to throw up so have not went since. For the past 2 years I've tried the patches that you get an RX from your doctor for that goes behind your ear & did much better on the snorkel boat ..... I normally get queasy on the 15 or 20 minute ride to the reef & even snorkeling but didn't have any problems with the patch on even when I got back on the boat & sat for a 20 minutes or so during a night snorkel when several people got stung by jellyfish & some of us chose to get out of the water early .... (Note: You have to put it on a day or 2 ahead of when you want it to work). I've still been afraid to try the cat cruise again because don't want to get sick & be puking over the side with so many people around .... Not pleasant for anyone. Am thinking about just hubby & I trying the private sunset cruise this next time to see how I do .... That way, if I get sick, it's just him & the watersports guys around & if it's too bad, we can always come back to shore .... I'm always totally fine as soon as I'm back on land. I've heard some people have problems with the patches causing them to be dizzy but I had no issues at all the 2 times I've used them. They come in a box of 4 & you only use 1 at a time & it lasts for 3 days.
    Julie

Bonine. It works great and you don't feel drowsy. Just once a day tablet.

Personally I drink and take dramamine but that's just me LOL!

Try Sea Bands. You can buy them in the drug store and they use pressure points to lessen the chance of motion sickness.
    Susan & Chris
    CTI 2003, 2004
    CSS 2008, 2013!

Meclazine, also known as Dramamine II or Non drowsy Dramamine. It does not cause drowsiness or medicine head. I scuba dive with it all the time as I sometimes get motion sick on the boat or returning to the boat when it is rough and it has never affected me adversely. My only other suggestion is to face forward, get a good breeze in your face and keep your eye on the horizon at all times.

There is an herb that is illegal but works wonders for that kind of thing.

Patch, and Ganja! Works great together.

Try OTC medicine Bonine. You can also use ginger, which is a natural remedy, they have ginger tablets or candy in health food stores. Some people have also suggested green apples. They have patches and wrist bands as well. The patch goes behind your ear. The patches do not make you drowsy. Hope that helps

I use essential oils encapsulated, the sea bands and if absolutely necessary Dramamine! I even found at CVS a blend of oils for motion sickness!

I use the sea bands wristbands. The glass bottom boat had me queasy but I wasn't wearing them. Also was just looking down the whole time and I think the movement of the boat and watching caused that. No problems not wearing them to go snorkeling. I wore them during the cat cruise and was fine. Have a tendency to get car sick on winding roads, but had no troubles from Montego Bay to Negril.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer_Suds View Post
    Seabands. They are cotton wrist bands with a little plastic nub that you wear on the inside against your wrist. They work on the basis of accupressure. My wife and daughter both suffer from motion sickness and swear by them.
    I wear my sea bands all the time, flights, boats, anywhere where there might be motion. I used to take Gravol, but it was a miserable experience. I was so sleepy. I saw a TV show where a pregnant woman asked what she could do to prevent morning sickness and the MD recommended sea bands, and added that it was great for travel sickness. I was sold and never went back to medication that made me groggy. Don't even doubt the value of these things!

Thank you all SO much for your suggestions. I used sea bands last year on flight to Mexico and chewed Ginger gum since I was on a medication that would have interacted with OTC motion sickness meds. But off everything now. And it helped some but not totally. In past Dramamine has made me drowsy, even the non drowsy one. As far as the "herb" comment LOL nice one!! Unfortunately the one and only time I tried that "herb" I freaked out hard core so never tried it again lol. I will ask my dr about the patch and look into Bonine vs Dramamine. I'm sure it won't help to add the sea bands and ginger to the mix as well thanks again!!