Hybrid View

Default Do we go to Dunn's River Falls without climbing?

We will be at CSS for the first time in November and I have a question about the Dunn's River Falls tour. During our trip I will be recovering from my 6th back surgery and have been advised to not do the falls climb...
    My question is this: Is there a place to swim at Dunn's River (like a lagoon?) or is there a place where you can see the falls/enjoy the scenery without having to physically do the climb? We have been looking forward to that excursion but now are wondering if it's worth the time away from the resort if I can't do the climb. Thanks!

My husband and I were at Dunn River Falls a couple of years ago and did not actually want to do the climb because my husband burned his legs. They have a wonderful wooden stairway right next to the falls and you can see and get the best pictures of it from there. It is a wooden walkway/stairway which is in very good shape and safe to walk on. We got some incredible pictures there and a very nice picture of my husband and I right next to the Falls. In my opinion you can actually see more going next to it than climbing it. It is also very tropical with lots of tropical plants.
    Karin and Jim

The climb begins at the beach. You are free to swim there if you choose. You do not have to climb the falls at that point. You can climb the wooden stairs which are right next to the falls. There are many landings along the way where you have many views to see and take pictures. At the top of the falls there are some beautiful gardens to tour
    Hope your back will allow you to climb the stairs. The stairs are much easier then the actual falls. It is worth it to go just to see the falls from the stairs

From what I can remember, there isn't really a place to swim. You walk down to the foot of the falls, and then you either walk the falls or you take the stairs up. I think with recent back surgery, I'd have to pass on the falls this year.
    Kristen

Thank you for the replies! I will be fine with stairs - I just can't do the falls for fear of slipping. It is good to know that we can still experience them without climbing. Thanks!

If you go down to the ocean, you will have to climb back up either through falls or using the stair and it's not a short climb. Not trying to disappoint you, but I don't want to see you get to the bottom and then be in pain because you will have to climb back up to the top. Look at it as something to do the next trip!
    Vicky

Default Take the stairs/ swim at the bottom

If your husband is in back pain and you really want to take in the excursion, your only option is the wooden stairs and small decks on the side of the falls. You can rest at the small stops going up or down for as long as you want. When you are at the bottom of the falls, yes as stated by others the carribean sea is at the bottom. you can swim in it. I have done the climb twice, both times there were a small amount of locals in the water at the bottem just having fun. They paid to get in. You cannot climb the falls at all. Dont consider it and ruin your resort stay on the possibility of being injured.

Glenda

If you take the stairs, will you get wet? Just wondering if we will need to bring a waterproof camera if we plan to take the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt View Post
    If you take the stairs, will you get wet? Just wondering if we will need to bring a waterproof camera if we plan to take the stairs.
    No, the falls are gentle flowing water, so those on the steps won't get wet - unless someone splashes you
    Amy Welch...Woooohoooo!!
    CTI - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013
    CN - 2003/2004 CSS - 2008
    CSA - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Thanks for asking (and answering) this question. I had both knees replaced in May and was afraid to try climbing the falls. Now I know I can go and experience them without having to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Thanks for asking (and answering) this question. I had both knees replaced in May and was afraid to try climbing the falls. Now I know I can go and experience them without having to climb.
    Yes, Debo, I went the the falls and totally enjoyed it. My husband made the descent and the climb and I waited for him at the top on the decks. I actually went down just one level lower and got some great pics of them climbing up.

Suggestion: Take a book or magazine to read since you will have a little wait until they make it up to you.

I tried Dunn's River Falls and I am very thankful to be alive..I got out at exit #1..Would have gotten out sooner if I could...But I am overweight and 63 years old...Never ever again will I try "bust your butt avenue".
    Last edited by Tommywommy; October 6th, 2009 at 03:25 PM.

Just make sure that you save enough energy to jog past the somewhat persistant souvenir vendors who are waiting for you outside
    nobody's favorite poster