Default Miami International Transfer time

To everyone who's flown through Miami Dade International Airport. We are looking at taking AA from Houston to Mobay through Miami. We will have a 45 minute gap between landing in Miami and departing Miami for Jamaica. Is that enough time to get off our plane and over to the departing flight? I am not sure if I have to switch terminals or possibly go through security again. We have several hours on the return side of things, not worried about getting back to Houston. Thanks in advance for your answers.

45 minutes is really cutting it close in any airport, let alone a large airport like Miami. Keep in mind that most international flights close their cabin doors at least 10 minutes prior to departure (if not more). If nothing else, see if you can get a seat towards the front of your originating flight so that you will be one of the first off the plane in Miami.

It's tight. I hope you are not delayed and your bags make it.

That should be plenty of time. The airline wouldn't book it if they weren't confident it would be possible. You will not need to re-enter security. If your trip is in near future, go to AA's website and run a flight status search for today for the flights. Then you can get an idea what gates/how far the walk.

But, of course, a delay in Houston could cause issues. When booking connections, I always make sure there are later flights to my destination, just in case I miss my connecting flight.

[QUOTE=rachlm927;218235]'The airline wouldn't book it if they weren't confident it would be possible'

Not true, the airline is just giving you an option of flights. We have made a 45 min connection in Miami to Jamaica before but we carried on (no checked bags) and the connecting gate was literally 2 gates down. We got off the plane walked over to the gate and immediately boarded. Our flight was on time as well. By the time it taxied and we waited to get off we did not have 45 minutes, it was about 20.

MIA is a MASSIVE airport! You're counting on your flight out of Houston taking off on time (does this ever happen?) All I can say is Good Luck!!

My experience with Miami immagration was not good. All the South American flights go through there - it took us an hour to make it through immigration - and then you have to go through customs and recheck your bag. We had a 2 hour layover and just made the flight. I would look at going through Dallas if you can.

Amy

I was delayed at MIA one time by a cute little beagle that came and sat down next to me as we were going through the customs line. That was fun.

[QUOTE=No1conner;218265]
    Quote Originally Posted by rachlm927 View Post
    'The airline wouldn't book it if they weren't confident it would be possible'

Not true, the airline is just giving you an option of flights. We have made a 45 min connection in Miami to Jamaica before but we carried on (no checked bags) and the connecting gate was literally 2 gates down. We got off the plane walked over to the gate and immediately boarded. Our flight was on time as well. By the time it taxied and we waited to get off we did not have 45 minutes, it was about 20.
    I have to respectively disagree with you. The airline only gives you options they think you can make. They are not showing you every possible connection. I travel very frequently for work, and have tried booking closer connections, and the airline wont allow it. They want you to make your connection just as much as you want to make it.

Unless you areleaving from the same gate as you're arriving into Miami, that connection is too tight. We took united nonstop from Houston to mobay.
    Socal and Sintown
    CN 6/2014
    CB 6/2013
    CTI 6/2012

I looked at a similar connection and actually called AA to ask about it. They said they won't allow you to book a connection they don't think is very do-able. I then asked a friend who is an AA flight attendant and he thought it would be fine, thought the gates would be close and not a problem.

Having said that, I still didn't book it, it made me too nervous, especially since we take checked bags as well. I will say that we wound up booking another flight through Miami, and both ways we had MAJOR delays coming out of Miami, and swore we would avoid that entire airport if possible, even if it meant paying more.

We dislike Miami so much we would do anything not to fly in and out of there! It is a huge airport and people are rude and not much help! We had a 3 hour layover there and was saddened by it. We fly into Charlotte this time and down....so excited 15 days!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    MIA is a MASSIVE airport!
    Yes, but this is departing (no security screen), and most AA gates are a stone's throw from each other. Usually we have about 1.5h in MIA headed down and are bored stiff...and drinking. Our departing gate is never more than 3-5 gates from arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    I was delayed at MIA one time by a cute little beagle that came and sat down next to me as we were going through the customs line. That was fun.
    Nothing to add to the conversation as it's been forever since I flew through Miami (was going to PR).

But the comment above made me bust out laughing. Jim: what were you trying to hide??? LOL
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

Quote Originally Posted by lsm1212 View Post
    But the comment above made me bust out laughing. Jim: what were you trying to hide??? LOL
    Not hiding anything. Just had a stroll on the beach before we left and did a little rasta prayer. My puppy friend had a very good nose for the ashes in my pocket. We did have to make a hard right turn into another line and endure about 10 minutes of questioning including a good cop/bad cop scenario and the threat of them calling Miami/Dade. I had visions of Crockett and Tubbs rolling up. Glad AA has the non-stop back here to DFW now as customs here is a joke.

Based on our experience last December, you should make it but the bags might not. Keep in mind that if you have gate changes, you might have to sprint/ride the tram, etc.

Recommend that you sign up for the flight status texts from AA (or a flight status app) -- those came in handy because we couldn't always hear the announcements.

Our experiance with MIA is so bad we try to avoid if at all possible. Maybe it was the construction going on, on our last trip,but we had a very long way to walk and the people working at the airport are very rude. Even the employees from the airline we were taking (AA) .