The resort was rebranded as Couples Barbados on Saturday, June 15 and it has indeed been a bit of a challenge delivering on the Couples Brand promise. Major enhancements were required to bring this resort up to our standard. Unfortunately, we were unable to complete some of the projects by the 15th.
The enhancements included several facility improvements as well as some unique additions to the 280 room former Casuarina Beach Resort located on Barbados’ South Coast:
• New arrivals reception areas (Done)
• New lounge chairs by the 3 pools and new hammocks on the beach and in the Calypso Lounge (Done)
• New décor and amenities in public areas (Done, although we are waiting on a few lighting fixtures
• Ipod/MP3 docking stations in all rooms ( now being installed as of this writing)
• Personalized mini-bar in all rooms (now being stocked as of the time of this writing)
• Hi Definition TVs with over 50 digital cable options, including ESPN, HBO, CINEMAX and MAX PRIME (Done)
• New pool and Jacuzzi (the heater has not yet been installed - we expect it to arrive in the next few days)
• New Spa and Salon (this may be the most complained about improvement as there has been some hammering and sawing of tiles. Nearly completed and we expect to open the facility by Sunday, June 23)
• New Gym with state-of-the-art equipment (Done)
• Purpose-built Yoga Gazebo (Done)
• New piano bar/lounge (Done, but speakers and microphones not here yet)
• New Internet Café (nearly completed, but plenty of access points for people with smartphones, PCs and tablets)
• New Vendors Village
In addition, all food and beverage offerings and menus have been upgraded to Couples Resorts’ standards. We have received high praise from the beginning about our new menus and staff helpfulness.
When we first took over the management of the resort on February 10, 2013, we were pleased to see that the rooms were generally in fairly good condition. Some of the internal workings such as A/C, lighting, phones, plumbing and TVs had issues and repairs or replacements are in progress.
It has been great to finally welcome our first Couples Barbados’ guests. While we certainly admit to a few opening hiccups, already many have taken advantage of our exclusive complimentary inclusions such as golf, scuba diving, a Catamaran cruise featuring snorkeling with sea turtles and shuttle to Oistins on Friday. And, four couples have already said “I Do” at Couples Barbados.
This morning nearly 60 guests participated in morning nature walk to see the Barbados Green Monkeys. People are in the pools, enjoying a rousing game of volleyball and - generally - people are in good spirits.