Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A few hiccups opening Couples Barbados

The resort was rebranded as Couples Barbados on Saturday, June 15 and it has indeed been a bit of a challenge delivering on the Couples Brand promise. Major enhancements were required to bring this resort up to our standard. Unfortunately, we were unable to complete some of the projects by the 15th.

The enhancements included several facility improvements as well as some unique additions to the 280 room former Casuarina Beach Resort located on Barbados’ South Coast:
    • New arrivals reception areas (Done)
    • New lounge chairs by the 3 pools and new hammocks on the beach and in the Calypso Lounge (Done)
    • New décor and amenities in public areas (Done, although we are waiting on a few lighting fixtures
    • Ipod/MP3 docking stations in all rooms ( now being installed as of this writing)
    • Personalized mini-bar in all rooms (now being stocked as of the time of this writing)
    • Hi Definition TVs with over 50 digital cable options, including ESPN, HBO, CINEMAX and MAX PRIME (Done)
    • New pool and Jacuzzi (the heater has not yet been installed - we expect it to arrive in the next few days)
    • New Spa and Salon (this may be the most complained about improvement as there has been some hammering and sawing of tiles. Nearly completed and we expect to open the facility by Sunday, June 23)
    • New Gym with state-of-the-art equipment (Done)
    • Purpose-built Yoga Gazebo (Done)
    • New piano bar/lounge (Done, but speakers and microphones not here yet)
    • New Internet Café (nearly completed, but plenty of access points for people with smartphones, PCs and tablets)
    • New Vendors Village

In addition, all food and beverage offerings and menus have been upgraded to Couples Resorts’ standards. We have received high praise from the beginning about our new menus and staff helpfulness.

When we first took over the management of the resort on February 10, 2013, we were pleased to see that the rooms were generally in fairly good condition. Some of the internal workings such as A/C, lighting, phones, plumbing and TVs had issues and repairs or replacements are in progress.

It has been great to finally welcome our first Couples Barbados’ guests. While we certainly admit to a few opening hiccups, already many have taken advantage of our exclusive complimentary inclusions such as golf, scuba diving, a Catamaran cruise featuring snorkeling with sea turtles and shuttle to Oistins on Friday. And, four couples have already said “I Do” at Couples Barbados.

This morning nearly 60 guests participated in morning nature walk to see the Barbados Green Monkeys. People are in the pools, enjoying a rousing game of volleyball and - generally - people are in good spirits.

Everyday better.

Couples Resorts

Thanks for the update. Personally, I think Couples took on a lot in a rather short period of time. So if less than a week in there are only a few things outstanding, then that's a pretty good job of coming close to target (esp. in a place where surely things are not always done at high speed )
    You likely know there have been complaints about the food (running out, cold), lack of some types of alcohol and lack of clean towels. Can you comment? it contradicts what someone posted about great food and awesome staff. I await the great reviews, as I know... soon come
    Last edited by jamaicamecrazy; June 21st, 2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Removed part of my reply. it seems issues were real and people not just whining. Hard to know sometimes. Good to hear things improving

We're due at the Barbados resort on 8th July, hopefully everything will be sorted by then as we've never experienced a Couples resort before. From the Trip Advisor reviews thus far, the main qualm seems to be that works are still on going, so I think (hope!) once these are complete then the reviews will be a lot better.

My only concern at the moment is the check in deposit - on one of the reviews someone stated it was 600USD? I know a hotel deposit is normal but we thought it would be around 200-300USD.
    (Randymon here: No it is $300 US, $600 Barbadian.)

Thank you so much for the update Randymon!!!!

Dave and Rhonda

Be there July 8-15

Randymon - Great update. You're communication with the community on these boards is excellent and very helpful. Specific details like this are welcome. We're going to be there 13-20 July, and even if there are few minor things going on, we completely understand. Sounds like you'll be able to claim done just a week after plan, and that's close enough to call it a success.

Thanks again for your time to answer all the questions!

Randymon, thanks for the update and best wishes to everyone at CB. We hope to join you early next year to experience the newest Couples Resort.

There's always work of some kind happening, but a few people like to complain about anything and everything.

I do have one question based on the Trip Adviser review I read. A reviewer said that bathrobes were not supplied. We'll be arriving on June 29 so just wanted to check if we needed to pack them.

Thanks!

Thanks for clarifying Randymon, thought the reviewer must have got it wrong!

Getting excited for arriving now

nguc54t

There was never any mention of Robes in the the rooms so - for now - feel free to bring your own.

Couples Resorts

RANDYMON: just looked at the accommadation page for Couples Barbados on the site here and it does say that BATHROBES are included in the rooms. When will they be added then, or will they be added.
    Thanks for the detailed update above!! Appreciated.

I am here now and I think they have done a nice job getting the resort together. The staff is still getting use to the change over to Couples. They are all very friendly and nice. They have some kinks to work out. The check in process was a bit lengthy, but I think this may be because it is new to the staff. They need more bellman. The rooms are very nice and clean. There are no robes in the room like other couples resorts. I can tell they have just updated the bathroom in the room I am in everything looks new. I am missing a remote control to the television in the sitting room. That is the only thing I can say bad about the room. The food so far has been delish! I just had breakfast and it is the same foods served at the other couples resorts. Yesterday we had lunch at the grill and dinner at Yes Please. The food was wonderful and the waitstaff pleasant. Had a great time last night hanging out at the main bar and Raymon and Jason the bartenders were a lot of fun!I give Couples four out of five stars on getting the resort up and running. They do have some work left to do but anyone coming here will have a great and relaxing time.

Will massages be available on/near the beach?

Thanks NCBeachBum,

Your comments are much appreciated.

Couples Resorts

And, uh, Bathrobes will be delivered in the next few days. My bad.

Couples Resorts

I've just been advised that 10 Ipod Docking stations have disappeared from rooms that have checked out the past two days.

Really?

Couples Resorts

That's just plain sad. Why do people have to be like that?

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post
    I've just been advised that 10 Ipod Docking stations have disappeared from rooms that have checked out the past two days.

Really?
    Wow!!! What is wrong with people?

Really? Wow that is so sad to read. Not the behaviour I expect from the Couples family.

We are here too currently. We are having a good time and are trying not to let the "hiccups" spoil our holiday. Everything is happening in dribs and drabs, but it has been ok. The hammering at the spa area wasn't ideal - it has to be said. Our room - a one bedroom ocean suite - is nice. A tad tired around the edges, but nice enough. We are lucky enough to be in the middle of the 4th of five floors, so we have a nice view of the ocean through the palm trees. Our friends have just been upgraded to this block, as their room in block 4 was a bit of a disaster, no shower, toilet broke ... Food is delicious, although no Dirty bananas on the cocktail menu- may have to try and educate the staff Will write a full review later - any questions please feel free to ask !
    Last edited by joobeloo; June 23rd, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Randymon....crazy to hear the docking stations are disappearing from rooms(
    Thanks again for all the updates...can't wait till November!!

We booked the first week in December and are totally looking forward to some fun in the sun when our weather is starting to turn cold.

I am curious as to the why people really wanted to book the first week the property turned to Couples? I think this is like everything else in life - nothing is ever on completed on schedule. So, if you did book that first month, I would expect things not completely finished and a little off kilter with learning a system for a new company. IT appears from the reviews I have read that the staff is trying and hopefully once things settle down, it will run a little smoother.

That being said, if these reviews are still negative three months in, then Couples will have a problem.

To the people who "took" the Ipod docks - shame on you. Couples is trying to make this an enjoyable stay for everyone. If you can afford to go to Couples in Barbados, then you can afford to go to the store and BUY an Ipod dock. People like you ruin vacations for the rest of us.

Randymon - we look forward to hearing about how things correct themselves over the next few months and cannot wait for our tip to get here (although I am not rushing our summer here).

Quote Originally Posted by randymon View Post

Really?
    People are idiots! That is ridiculous!

It is interesting to read the reviews. I have traveled to a couple different resorts during times of transition or for a trip close to the opening date of a new resort. How can people truly expect that every kink is worked out, the resort runs like clockwork and is a replica of other couples resorts on day 1? That just seems unreasonable and naďve to me. I would think it only logical to expect some kinks and transition early on. I am actually surprised you have as much completed as you do. (No offense meant, it is just a big job that takes time)

I am curious though, if you were to compare Couples Barbados to your other resorts, which atmosphere to you feel it is most similar to?

Default ipod security

Quote Originally Posted by sunflower1972 View Post
    Randymon....crazy to hear the docking stations are disappearing from rooms(
    Thanks again for all the updates...can't wait till November!!
    would it not be a good idea to endorse the ipod docking stations with security labels you can buy acid etched labels with serial numbers register them if in a place where the labels are visible this can sometimes remove the need to steal, but then one has to prove the customer stole them or a member of staff with access a difficult situation of proof that it was a guest or visitor with so much work going on. If all the locks where changed or codes changed would alleviate the possibility of previous staff or guest/maintenance access. so assumption of a guest stealing is very difficult to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurPkny View Post
    To the people who "took" the Ipod docks - shame on you. Couples is trying to make this an enjoyable stay for everyone. If you can afford to go to Couples in Barbados, then you can afford to go to the store and BUY an Ipod dock. People like you ruin vacations for the rest of us.
    Erm they have been taken seems clear... but who knows who did it? 10 of the same item would make me wonder if this was customers or something more organised. Still if the $300us deposit is being correctly administered then it should not be future customers who pay. It is key for new patrons to check what is supposed to be in the rooms on arrival, or you may have a nasty shock on check out.

I have been reading complaints regarding the palm trees blocking the view from the rooms. Is there anything in the works for possibly improving the views?? Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast