Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

It's starting to rain here in California, finally! Hope it keeps up, not just because we need it so badly, but so that it will be just that much better when we go to sunny Jamaica!

Yes, added bendy straws to our packing list!

~Steve

ok now we are down to 2 days, we can't wait for the sun, surf and sand......and the beer

Sunseekers here! We will be at San Souci March 3-10. This will be our third time there in the last four years . We love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Erinn View Post
    Last minute packing ideas. Anyone want to give us tips on what things should be left home because it is a waste to bring, and the things that we would not think of that are nice to have. Please let us know!

Thanks, Erinn and Ricky
    Water shoes can be helpful if you visit Dunn's River Falls; and you should! Beautiful and fun.

Anyone have any experience with Scotchies Jerk Too? I would like to try some real Jamaican jerk chicken and pork. I really enjoy the food at Couples but I expect they have to "de-tune" it to try to appeal to the majority of guests...I always like to find the real thing at least once while away.

It's not far from the resort.

Tickets printed out - check
    Club Mobay tickets printed out - check
    Starting to pack - check
    Ugly beach hat packed - check
    Excited - check
    One week to go - check , check and check

Dan, I'd be up to try Scotchie's. I like spicy jerk and I am guessing you're right, what they make at the resort is probably toned down for the common good. ;-)

blfm and sunseekers, have a great trip!

Erinn, what's important to bring vs. what to leave depends a bit on you and your beloved. My thoughts 3 trips in, packing for #4:

I check a bag so I can bring my own sunscreen in quantity. I have sensitive skin and I go through a lot. You can probably buy it at the resort cheaper than checking a bag but I also fill the rest of the checked bag with school supplies or things for the Issa Trust Foundation pediatric medical initiative. So far this year I have Selsun Blue shampoo (used for fungal skin infections, I bought the store brand with the same active ingredient) and some over-the-counter medications I got on sale. (Benadryl/diphenhydramine, tylenol/acetaminophen). In previous years I have mostly brought good quality pencils (dixon ticongeroga) and pencil sharpeners. I would definitely suggest everyone check out the "sticky" at the top of the main message board page about the Issa Trust Foundation. If all of us just brought a few extra things that are hard to come by, their medical mission would be in great shape. (Then you have room in your luggage for goodies on the way back! :-) ) http://couples.com/mb/showthread.php...ren-in-Jamaica

Every year I try to reduce my clothes packing but I still find that I overestimate how many casual day outfits I will actually wear. I am sick of bringing home clean khaki/black shorts and tops. We do spend most of the days in our bathing suits/cover ups. This year I am bringing 2 quick dry shorts and tanks/tees for yoga/tennis/hiking/whatever so I can rinse and re-wear, and that's it. Some dressier outfits for dinner are good to have but I'd suggest matching them all to one pair of dressy sandals, unless you are a major shoe person! It really is OK to wear an outfit to dinner more than once, but if you enjoy planning a different outfit for every night, don't let any one spoil your fun.

Things I brought the first year and now leave home: a bug screen for the balcony door, candles, balcony lights, snorkel stuff, large mugs or koozies or whatever for drinks, cheap floaties or rafts, dryer sheets.

Stuff I do bring: beach hats, insect repellent (never been bitten, don't want to!) lots of over the counter meds in small quantities "just in case" (antihistamine, decongestant, pain killers, aloe gel with benzocaine, dramamine, anti-diarrhea, swim-ear, emergen-C, bandaids, antibiotic ointment, etc.) I have saved many friends we've met trips to the nurse's station because I am prepared! Bendy straws, books (read and leave in the "lending library" for others), towel clips to clip beach towels to the chairs, or to help hold things on the balcony drying rack if it's windy. A sample size of baby powder (or cornstarch) in your beach bag helps get the last of the sand off your feet if you have to put shoes on straight from the beach and can't wash them.

I bring ziploc bags and am always amazed at how handy they are--from isolating anything that might leak from your luggage, to putting in soggy bathing suit and flip flops before boarding the goodbye bus, to protecting my iPad when I'm reading where the ocean occasionally splashes.

Hope that helps!

Godiva

I think we have a 1 full day overlap...spend it at SSB and enjoy it. We'll have a few drinks then. I doubt Jill will want to leave the resort for a few days. Leaving this frozen hell, and getting through the nightmare at Pearson takes a few days recovery from the trauma.

Go when you want and give us a critique at SSB...kinda the naked truth about Scotchies

Quote Originally Posted by Nautical4life View Post
    Anyone have any experience with Scotchies Jerk Too? I would like to try some real Jamaican jerk chicken and pork. I really enjoy the food at Couples but I expect they have to "de-tune" it to try to appeal to the majority of guests...I always like to find the real thing at least once while away.

It's not far from the resort.

Scotchies is a must do if you are looking to go off resort for a bite. Blows the jerk on property away. Only a few minutes from resort.

Quote Originally Posted by cpanddp View Post
    Scotchies is a must do if you are looking to go off resort for a bite. Blows the jerk on property away. Only a few minutes from resort.
    Looks like about a mile...is it a walking destination or better to cab it?

Good to know that Scotchie's is a must see-- thanks, cpanddp.

Nautical4life, I totally understand the gravitational pull of that lounger, if I manage to overcome it to get to Scotchie's I will give a full report!

Soon come!

Godiva

Ya...the lounger gravity effect is a powerful force. I wonder if anyone has investigated it as a clean power source? It seems to powered by rum, a totally renewable source of energy (and hangovers).

We tend to look for a off site trip about 3/4 the way through our vacation just for a change of pace. However at CSS last year we never did pry ourselves away from SSB. I've noticed that we have to wear clothes everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautical4life View Post
    Looks like about a mile...is it a walking destination or better to cab it?
    Jump a cab

What's going on at SSB now? Is everyone having fun??

C'mon, report back. Some of us are going through some serious suffering now!!

Brian & Caz
    Booked for 19th March to 26th March
    58 & 48
    from Scotland
    First time at CSS but been to CSA - loved it
    Have booked a Penthouse room and looking forward to chillaxing
    Any golfers? Wife may let me loose for few hours!
    Hoping to meet some fun people so if dates match then see you soon

B&C

Hey Brain,
    My wife and I will be there from the 20th - 31st. 50-49 From Columbus, Ohio. We are also in a penthouse suite.
    I'll be there with my clubs and I'm look forward to playing a few rounds. Maybe the wives could do the beach and we hit the links together. I already have Monday the 24th on my schedule. Lets hook up.

Anyone else ready to hit the links?

Kevin

Bridget,

You'll have to convince Nancy to join us for Tennis. Iím all for trying something new and could use a new exercise activity in my life. Itís hard to keep this awesome beer gut in check after 50Ö LOL. I would assume they have all the equipment.

See you soon.

Scotland?? Somehow I sense you won't be joining Falcon and I in "God Save the Queen" (kidding!!)...but after noting your screen name I think we may have a 3rd for our trio.

See you there. We'll be at SSB. Think Winnie the Pooh.
    Last edited by Nautical4life; March 10th, 2014 at 11:11 AM.

Hi Kevin - 24th March sounds good to me - will look out for you arriving on 20th - we get there late on 19th - see you soon

Hi - got me intrigued with 'Winnie The Pooh' - My wife (Caz) is a sassenach so quite used to the 'God Save the Queen' - although you wont find me joining in!!!! see you soon

Hi - got me intrigued with 'Winnie The Pooh' - My wife (Caz) is a sassenach so quite used to the 'God Save the Queen' - although you wont find me joining in!!!! see you soon

It'll make sense at SSB...

Last edited by Nautical4life; March 15th, 2014 at 10:35 AM.

Brian & Caz arriving 19th March - any recommendation on first cocktail?

I would suggest the comfort food of drinks, a G&T with a slice of lime.

I know whatever we pick won't have ice in it...I've seen all the ice I need for awhile thnaks.

Default golf

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    Hey Brain,
    My wife and I will be there from the 20th - 31st. 50-49 From Columbus, Ohio. We are also in a penthouse suite.
    I'll be there with my clubs and I'm look forward to playing a few rounds. Maybe the wives could do the beach and we hit the links together. I already have Monday the 24th on my schedule. Lets hook up.

Anyone else ready to hit the links?

Kevin
    Hi Kevin - still ok for golf?

Anyone else here at moment want to go upton hills?

Brian

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast