Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has CN changed that much?

I know that Karen is no longer the manager at CN and I have read a few things on Facebook that have made me a bit nervous. CN has always been our favorite...is it that bad now? I always enjoyed the laid back attitude of not only the other guests but the staff as well. I love the fact that the same staff members are there year after year and it enhances the whole "coming home" feeling. We are looking to book our 5th trip because we love the staff and how wonderful they make our vacation. Guests and particularly repeaters are the reason why Couples are constantly winning Trip Advisor awards etc. And if you look at the reasons the guests love Couples so much...it's because of the staff. Please remember that we are adults and please don't blame the staff for how some of the guests act...all the staff is ever trying to do is make us happy. It is not their place to judge us or set restrictions on us...they are not there to babysit us while we are on vacation.

We work very very hard to be able to afford to come home to Couples Negril. And CN will no longer feel like home if certain staff members leave because they no longer feel CN is a good place to work. It can't be easy dealing with a bunch of drunk adults day in and day out and some of the demands..the staff handles it ALL with the utmost professionalism and always with a smile. Do not realize that too late.

Well said Hillystyles...I've also heard some of the same things from friends who travel to CN. I am concerned also. We've visited all four Couples resorts, but CN is our favorite and we go back every year. One of the top reasons we're repeaters and love CN is the wonderful staff. They've always given us 5 star service, with a beautiful smile and friendly attitude. We also love the "welcome home" feeling with employees remembering your first name, when you only visit for a week once a year, that's impressive. I've had staff at the pool bar remember what I like to drink, when they haven't seen me in a year...very impressive!!!. We love some of the staff so much that if they were to leave and go to another resort, we would too. We've brought many friends with us who have also become repeaters to CN because of the wonderful staff. We've been to CN 5 times in the past six years and never once encountered a rude employee. We're returning in five weeks and I hope things are still the same.

If the rumors are true, I hope that upper management at Couples takes a good look at what makes CN so special to so many loyal repeaters and corrects their mistake.
    Irie ,
    (Ladydia) Dianna

CTI 2006, CSA 2007, CN 2008, CN 2009, CN 2010 twice
    CN 2012, CSS 2012, CN 2013

No, Couples Negril hasn't changed much at all. It's still our favorite...by far.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

I find the new staff just as awesome! I'm so glad franklyn is still there!
    This is a situation where people's expectations let themselves down. The same staff is not going to be there forever, and people may have a hard time adjusting to the new.
    Couples Negril Nov 13 - 20, 2010

I'm so looking forward to my first visit to CN in 2014! Our home is CSS, but CN also calls to us. I hope the staff and the resort are wonderful:-)

I agree, the staff is great. Like you say, to put up with a bunch of drunks all day and keep a smile, would be hard for Mother Teresa.

we were just there in April of this year. Yes some new members were added to the staff, but many of the 'Old" staff is still there . Franklin, Tenneyson, Omar, Nellie, Lyndon, Charles, Narissa , Ivy, Elkie , to name a few.

We just got back from another visit to CN and all is well there. Not sure what you heard that seems to have frightened you so, but it was still great last week.
    All the best-

I too am Very concerned about CN. We only return there because of the long term staff that makes it feel like "home" I am concerned that the atmosphere is not quite the same since new management took over. I love the laid back easy "vibe" that we have always experienced in the 7 years we have been returning to CN. Lately the staff seem on edge and I have noticed the shifting of key staff to other areas where they aren't as accessible to guests. I understand that sometimes staff needs to be moved to cover shifts, but I hope management recognizes that certain staff are best suited in certain situations. The pool bar needs to have the outgoing long term staffers to keep the fun vibe---like Franklyn, Elkie, Otis and the others. I am disappointed when I get there and those people aren't at the bar where they are most accessible. I am hoping that upper management recognizes that for the price we pay to go to couples, we could go to other places and fancier places for similar price but what keeps me (and it appears tons of facebook repeaters) returning time after time is the staff that we have grown to think of as family. If the atmosphere keeps declining and if more long term staff disappear, we will follow where they end up. I feel uncertain that the quality and atmosphere of CN is going to remain up to the standards that I have grown to love. I hope I am wrong and I really hope that somehow Couples management takes notice before its too late

I can tell you that YES it has changed alot since our first visit to CN in 2004. The resort is still the same, but the atmosphere has changed as well. We noticed in last October when we were there. The Managers just switched and the employees (who we have got to know very well over the years) all told us that the new manager is changing things up. The employees werent as happy to be there & personally that comes from the top down. Karen was ALWAYS around all the time & would talk to the guests & if things werent right, she would do what she could to make them right. When people say it has changed they are meaning the atmosphere. Not to mention the rotating of bartenders from one bar to the next. Personally the pool and beach bar are always the busiest and you need a good bartender there to be able to keep up with drink orders. Franklyn Wallace was the best at this. On the days he worked he almost did most of the work himself. He did have another bartender helping him. On his off day the 2 people working couldnt keep up with the drinks. Now I know I dont go for the drinks. However, its not nice to have to wait 5-10, sometimes even 15 minutes to get a drink because they cant keep up with the demand. Moving Mr. Wallace out of the pool bar is a huge mistake !!! The biggest change was the staff just wasnt as happy & I go to Couples Negril for the great resort, but its the staff that brings us back every year. My wife & I will go one more time and if the atmosphere is still the same then we will start looking at other resorts. We work too hard for our money & when we go on vacation we want to go see "our family" at CN.

I was also wondering if Randymon has addressed any of these concerns ? I havent seen him reply on this thread & he usually is pretty good about posting on threads like this & helping out the guests.

"Welcome Home"! What better greeting could a person ask for when arriving after a long trip. Part of coming home is knowing that the surroundings will be comfortable and faces familiar of old friends with a huge smile and the greeting "Welcome Home". This is what the Couples brand is about, this is why I frequent the message board, this is why I follow news about Jamaica, this is why I tell everyone how great a place Couples is for a vacation and to relax because it is like home. Because this marketing and brand is so successful repeaters and wannabe repeaters feel like one with Couples and like the staff are a part of the family.

I think that as much as management might dislike the attention it receives from its extended family (us patrons) it has to realize it becomes very personal when management decisions effect family (staff). This is your brand and is why we love Couples, embrace it and perhaps use it to your advantage, but in this day and age of social media it needs to be dealt with/managed.

Respect!

I don't mind new staff at all...my concern is hearing why some of the old staff want to leave.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Again, I have nothing against new staff. However I always tell people I love Couples and spend the extra money because how happy the staff is and it's important to me that they are treated well especially since we are not allowed to tip to show our appreciation. The management needs to do that for us!!!

I sure hope management is reading this!!! We LOVE Franklyn and Tennison and Elkie and Omar and Evelyn and the other long term staff members. They make our vacation extra special and worth every hard earned penny! As soon as I mentioned that some of the long term staff is rumored to be unhappy...my husband immediately said that he will not pay this kind of money to a resort that doesn't treat their staff well because if they are treating their old staff poorly...that means the new staff members are going to be treated the same. They work to hard!!! Management needs to get it through their heads that the staff really has a HUGE impact on how much we enjoy our vacation and is a major factor in where we decide to go. We went to Mexico last year and the one thing we hated was how reserved and distant the staff seemed to be. They didn't engage with the guests like at Couples and we really noticed that we missed that!!!

I don't think Randy will admit that moving Karen was a mistake.....having been to CN 5 times with the last 2 times under the new manager I can say that the attitude has changed DRAMATICALLY and not for the better. October will be our next (and possibly last) visit. I guess Couples has not heard that old adage :"If it ain't broke, don't fix it",.....................or maybe CSA was broke & they decided to send Karen over there to fix it.
    Captain Jim
    "I will grow old....
    But I won't grow up"

Karen has made wonderful improvements at CSA and we were really impressed last visit, 9 months ago. There was a significant difference in staff attitude, service, maintenance and more. I would be disappointed if CN has been negatively impacted by her departure as some posters are commenting.

I know for a fact that Franklyn has been moved to the main bar and I hope that the reason why is resolved soon because I can't wait to see him when we return in 5 weeks. Franklyn is our favorite staff and belongs at the pool bar!! I hope that Couples listens to its guests especially their repeaters because the majority of us who know and love Franklyn want him back at the pool bar!! Our stay will not be the same without him there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by StevenTodd View Post
    "Welcome Home"! What better greeting could a person ask for when arriving after a long trip. Part of coming home is knowing that the surroundings will be comfortable and faces familiar of old friends with a huge smile and the greeting "Welcome Home". This is what the Couples brand is about, this is why I frequent the message board, this is why I follow news about Jamaica, this is why I tell everyone how great a place Couples is for a vacation and to relax because it is like home. Because this marketing and brand is so successful repeaters and wannabe repeaters feel like one with Couples and like the staff are a part of the family.

I think that as much as management might dislike the attention it receives from its extended family (us patrons) it has to realize it becomes very personal when management decisions effect family (staff). This is your brand and is why we love Couples, embrace it and perhaps use it to your advantage, but in this day and age of social media it needs to be dealt with/managed.

Respect!
    We LOVE CN (have also been to CSA & CSS) & a huge part of the reason is that it really DOES feel like home with so many familiar faces & they do remember our names even if we are only able to go home once a year. We have NEVER returned to a place over & over before until we found CN & trip #7 is booked. We have NEVER exchanged personal contact info with staff members before until we found CN. There are staff member that we keep in touch with the entire year now & look so forward to seeing because we consider them friends. Couples needs to understand that their staff is going above & beyond their jobs by being our Facebook friends & e-mailing with us & taking the time to know about our lives & letting us know about theirs .... It makes us choose going back to our favorite Couples resort over going someplace else. Couples needs to take care of their employees because they are their biggest asset.
    Julie

I agree with a lot of comments that posters have made. We have been to CN 3 times and we are scheduled for our 4th trip in January 2014. We already experienced some of the changes in our last trip in January of 2013, and honestly Karen did a better job of managing the staff and they seemed happier when she was there. The staff is what makes us come back each year, as the minute we walk in they remember us. With what is going on with CN right now, I can tell you I will not be back in 2015 if this continues.

My husband and I have been big fans of CN as we have never gone anywhere else after our first time there and we have even recruited other couples to come with us after our first trip and they too fell in love with the resort. However it's time that Management listen's to the repeat guests who come back every year and take care of their employee's.

Why has no one from Couples addressed this yet?

What do you all expect Couples to say? Do any of you really expect them to come on to a message board and explain all of the reasoning behind all of there decision making? There could be many reasons why people move from one location to another, either within the resort, or within the resort chain, or even to a completely new place. I am sure what ever reason when changes are made at Couples they are trying to improve things not make some repeaters upset. I have made friends with staff and keep in touch and look forward to seeing them when I return as well by the way.

We are booked for June 2014 in CN. We haven't been there since 2009, and are really looking forward to going "home." However, I certainly don't expect to find all the same staff. Is everyone happy with their jobs all the time? Are our boss's always right? I think it's too much to expect. I have never been to an all-inclusive couples only resort other than Couples, but I've been to CSS too, and the staff was just as wonderful there as it was at CN. It does come from top down, as one person said, but you have to expect a few bumps. We're all only human.

No worries. We were back to CN for our 6th stay in April and all was good with staff and new management. Our favorite waiter Leroy had moved on as his friends mentioned he got a job closer to home. No mention of management discontent. The other staff that we have come to know were all there with the same great attitude and special service. We found the new manager Ricardo to be very approachable and conscientious about maintaining and improving the high level of customer satisfaction that Karen established at CN. There was some movement of staff between the locations that we've seen them before however cross training can be good. It only makes Franklin's, Omar's, Tennison's, etc... employment more valuable to the company as they spread their knowledge and great customer service to all bars on the resort. We noticed small changes like the fire torches at night, better sand washing stations and the AN bar under construction to be positive signs that CN will continue to be our choice destination. Obviously he's a good manager or CSA would not be the hands down choice of many readers. Continue to give the new guy a fair chance and remember that his attention to detail with staff and propert is only in effort to increase our satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
    No worries. We were back to CN for our 6th stay in April and all was good with staff and new management. Our favorite waiter Leroy had moved on as his friends mentioned he got a job closer to home. No mention of management discontent. The other staff that we have come to know were all there with the same great attitude and special service. We found the new manager Ricardo to be very approachable and conscientious about maintaining and improving the high level of customer satisfaction that Karen established at CN. There was some movement of staff between the locations that we've seen them before however cross training can be good. It only makes Franklin's, Omar's, Tennison's, etc... employment more valuable to the company as they spread their knowledge and great customer service to all bars on the resort. We noticed small changes like the fire torches at night, better sand washing stations and the AN bar under construction to be positive signs that CN will continue to be our choice destination. Obviously he's a good manager or CSA would not be the hands down choice of many readers. Continue to give the new guy a fair chance and remember that his attention to detail with staff and propert is only in effort to increase our satisfaction.
    It's always nice when people are honest about the whole experience, instead of just whining about a bartender getting moved. Our friends got back in June after several visits to CN in the last few years, and they said it was just as good, if not better, than ever. Some staff have been promoted to higher positions, which is to be suspected over time, and the physical improvements they are making are just little things that are continuing to enhance the overall experience. The employees are not indentured servants, they are people just like you and I. Staff will change, attitudes will vary, but overall, from what we've been hearing within our repeater circle is that CN is just as great as it ever was. We will be making our fourth trip back in November, and are excited to see the changes. Embrace it, people! Change happens. Even after we expire, the world never stops changing!
    Last edited by dank120; July 9th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast