Default In love with SSB at CSS

My wife and I spent 8 days at CSS the first part of June and loved it. We especially enjoyed the AN beach, or Sunset Beach, SSB. There is plenty of beach to roam around, granted not like Negril for long walks, but enough space to walk or play Bocci ball. The sea water is nice, we liked it better than the main beach. It is clearer than the main beach. Yes is does get a bit cold with the river water mixing in, but we found it refreshing, the main beach water too hot. You really need to wear water shoes because of shells and rocks. We spent a lot of time on lounger cushions right next to the water, very nice.

There is a public beach adjacent to SSB and there were quite a few local people there on the weekends, pretty much no one during the week. Occasionally a guy or girls would wander over to the edge of SSB and gawk a bit, but nothing really bothersome. Veronique at the bar fixed us up all week long with good drinks and pleasant company. The pool is nice, a bit small with a good size section that is like 1foot deep. I guess that is for just laying in the pool on the bottom. The Cave/waterfall in the pool is nice too, you can go in there and have a bit of privacy if you want. Pool seems mostly for socializing near the swim up bar, which we did some of also.

The food is great, jerk chicken and jerk burgers plus a nice buffet, meat pies. It's nice to eat there and not have to put your clothes back on and go to the main beach grill. Met plenty of friendly people from all over.

Organized activities seemed a bit hit and miss at SSB. The activities that didn't involve much moving or getting out of the pool (trivia ,etc) proved most popular, LOL. Bocci ball set needs replacing, the plastic balls some have water or some have nothing and some are normal. Its hard to find two the same weight.

One gripe, people that come super early (or maybe even at night) and put their towels with clips on the chairs under the few thatched roof shade things. Earliest I got there was 8am and all were already taken, One couple had the best one every day for all 8 days by doing this. Doesn't seem fair. We were always able to move loungers to the shade of a tree though.

We went several nights after hours, like 11pm and swam nude. No one there. the security guard was there but always went over to the basketball court when we arrived, gave us privacy. All in all we loved every day there, very relaxing clothes free time. Will be back soon

Nice review. Any talk of turtles laying eggs at SSB?

I agree with all your comments and observations, ya mon

We just got back and I want to first sing the praises of Vernique. She was awesome, made great drinks and super personable. The food was better than expected and it was indeed very nice to not have to get dressed to go to the other side. I HATE the practice of leaving towels on loungers far ahead of time, BUT there were plenty of spaces and only once or twice did we struggle to find a decent spot. We agree with the organized activities, BUT enjoyed trivia, crazy bingo and the great attitudes of the staff. We also had an impromptu game (or 4) of pool beer pong I think a LOT has to do with the group and later in the week there was a change that livened the place up a bit.

We went over a few nights around 9 and had no problems. It was very romantic to swim under the stars and almost full moon.
    For those that might be nervous about trying it, there is no reason. My wife was a bit apprehensive, but by weeks end she would go over in the AM when I went diving. We both preferred to be on that side and hated to leave. In short we LOVED it and have already booked a return trip

Quote Originally Posted by Larry and Maria View Post
    We went several nights after hours, like 11pm and swam nude. No one there. the security guard was there but always went over to the basketball court when we arrived, gave us privacy.
    Basketball court? Did I miss something when we were there???
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

We just got back from our CSS vacation and loved our experience, particularly with the au naturel beach there. The OP's review was spot on.

We also had a great time at the au naturel beach this past week. The bartender was great! And we had no problems finding seats although we tended to come later in the morning.

ad a similar experience in May......except no problem getting an umbrella or palapa even at 10 am.

I have to agree! Veronique is the best! Loved meeting all the people, the great jerk chicken and meat patties, and of course the drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by FLgypsies View Post
    . My wife was a bit apprehensive, but by weeks end she would go over in the AM when I went diving. We both preferred to be on that side and hated to leave.
    Did anyone give your wife grief about being on SSB by herself? I've read that to go to SSB you must go together as a couple (no singles) but I've also read that if you have both shown up together for a few days then if one of you shows alone it is usually OK and nobody says anything because you've already established yourself as a couple. Just wondering how it was for your wife to be there alone?

Quote Originally Posted by CA_girl_in_TX View Post
    Did anyone give your wife grief about being on SSB by herself? I've read that to go to SSB you must go together as a couple (no singles) but I've also read that if you have both shown up together for a few days then if one of you shows alone it is usually OK and nobody says anything because you've already established yourself as a couple. Just wondering how it was for your wife to be there alone?
    Wife and I were there in May. We saw cases multiple times where only one spouse showed up (mostly guys while their wives were at spa, gym, sleeping, etc.) and nobody said anything. I think the key is to at least be there a few times together so that others do recognize that you are part of a couple. I also think that a woman alone would bring less attention than a man alone.
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

We had been there a few days prior so pretty much everyone (security, staff and other guests) knew her plus she would go down by the beach and read so no one said anything. For the women I think it is less of an issue, but I'm sure if I had been there alone someone would have said something. Also, during the day one partner or another will leave for a time, for whatever reason, and it didn't create an issue.

We just returned from our third trip to CSS and we enjoyed all aspects of SSB whilst we have been there. Each year there are different faces and it was great to see some other Brits there to enjoy the experience and have some support for trivia games! US history and geography not being our strong point.

The only thing that was rather intriguing was the middle aged man (with his wife - mostly) who seemed to think that displaying his 'excited tackle' when out of the pool and (more surprisingly) right in front of his friends wife) was acceptable. After a while we began to think that the displays were actually for the benefit of his friends wife! There is no way that his own wife or his friends could not notice this as it was plain for all to see and was not a one-off incident as it was going on for at least four days. It almost became a game to see if 'this time he will be in a normal state'. Mostly he wasn't. Maybe the four of them were swingers?

I am not sure what could have been done but there were many occasions when I was tempted to say to his wife that she should have a word with him about it. We wouldn't want to cause embarrassment for her but exhibitionism is not appropriate in this way. She mostly looked pretty miserable and it is possible that she really didn't want to be there. If he (or she) is reading this then DON''T DO IT! If you are swingers then do it in private!

As you were ladies and gents!

Hi VA Couple! There is a basketball court to the left of the bathrooms at SSB. We've seen it mostly used by staff after hours!

Default turtles

Quote Originally Posted by LasCrs View Post
    Nice review. Any talk of turtles laying eggs at SSB?
    Yes, there was a circle marked with sticks by where the security guards sits. I asked and he said turtles had laid eggs there. Didn't see any turtles there, but did see a big one when we were sailing on the catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by VaCouple View Post
    Basketball court? Did I miss something when we were there???
    Behind the bathrooms and grill at SSB, a ways over, is an old small basketball court. It looked like it had not been used in some time. I never saw anyone play, but that is where the guard hung out when we came a night to give us privacy. I didn't ask him, he just went

At every resort we've been to in Jamaica (coming up on our 13th Couples visit & our 22nd time to Jamaica), I'm alone on the a.n. beach/pool almost every morning for a few hours. My husband goes diving & I just head out to the pool/beach & wait there for him. No one has ever said a word to me. And, frankly, by the time he gets out to me around 11:00 or so, there are still hardly any people out there yet (depending on the time of year --- August not busy -- Dec busier) !!

when we were there in june everyone was so nice and talkative..my wife loves to just sit and read and I get bored fast,i wish there was some kinda activities to do on the beach area besides bocce ball,maybe some bag toss boards(cornhole boards) or something..there was volleyball in the pool but it was already crowded

Default more action (activities) at SSB

Ronn, I agree about the activites. My wife and plyaed bocci ball pretty much everyday by ourselves, Also we too the wooden paddles wi the rubber ball game where you just hit it back and forth and we did that a lot too. I would love to see pool volleyball, not only didn't we see people playing at SSB but I didn't even see a net or place to put one. Now without the grotto perhaps there will be games. A couple of times I went to the main pool to play but it is not as much fun wearing trunks!

We only did this once but our favorite activity was having pizza deliverd and then eating it in the ocean using white floats as tables.
    CSS OCT 2009
    CSS OCT 2011
    CSS OCT 2014

River - Remember that day like it was last week. If I remember correctly there was also a lot beverages delivered while in the ocean along with said pizza.

Happily for us the sand gravity takes hold when we are at SSB and any sort of activity over and beyond going for a dip in the pool or sitting in the surf at the entrance to the river (brrrr) is way beyond anything that we want to put effort into...lol.

We feel the same way as Novastar. We just returned after staying at CSS for 10 days. SSB is our beach/pool of choice. As soon as we arrived, we allowed the sand gravity to take over and we only left the resort for a bamboo raft ride up the White River and back. Veronique was the bartender, Samanth was the grill cook and we found no reasons to leave. Love SSB!!!
    Gene and Jeanne
    CSS October 2012
    CSS October 2013
    CSS October 2014....Soon come!!

We visited SSB through the Trading Places option while we stayed at CTI back in the spring 2013. Loved the AN beach so much as well as how beautiful CSS was, we're coming back to Couples again in 2014 and this time we're staying at Couples San Souci. The count down begins again.... can't wait
    CTI 2013
    CSS 2014