Default Water shoes needed at CSS?

Hello All,

We just booked our first trip to CSS. I'm wondering if the ocean at either of the beaches on the resort is rocky. If so, I need to find us some water shoes.

We have been to CTI twice and I don't remember needing them, but each beach is different.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

TLB

I bought my water shoes and never used them, the main beach had more stones on it than i remember but two steps and you were over them. sorry, but we didn't get to SSB, so i can't answer that one

kelly

My husband wore them and was glad. I didn't need them, I was on the floatie while he pushed me!

Not too rocky, mostly the sea grass. You probably know this from CTI, but if you go to Dunn's River, you need water shoes for that, so you may want to go ahead and get them.

There is some rocks but by no means rocky! We didn't need water shoes and was in the water every chance we got!

Quote Originally Posted by TL B View Post
    Hello All,

We just booked our first trip to CSS. I'm wondering if the ocean at either of the beaches on the resort is rocky. If so, I need to find us some water shoes.

We have been to CTI twice and I don't remember needing them, but each beach is different.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

TLB
    I'd say no. We have been there twice an have not had any big problems with rocks. The water has some seaweeds but no rocks. You get use to it pretty fast. Lots of little fish that love to swim around you in the shallow water too! They're nice to see.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

The main beach no, just a little seaweed here and there. SSB is so rocky that you wouldn't be able to go into the water even with water shoes.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

SSB is a bit rough, but we just wore flip flops then took them off when we went in the water. You WILL need water shoes for Dunns River if you make that trip though so wouldn't hurt to bring them IMO.

SS is amazing, you are going to love it

I was only on the textile side. It wasn't rocky but there was a bunch of sea grass so I wore my water shoes. You will need them if you want to go to the Falls anyway. Figured it was cheaper to just get my own pair so I could use them whenever I wanted.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

I'm sure you will get many different opinions on this, but for me, if I ever went back... The answer would be a resounding YES. The bottom of the main beach is murky/goopy/slimey, kind of like the bottom of some lakes. Plus, the week I was there at least, the water was not clear and you could not see the bottom.

Foreign country with unknown water hazards + goopy bottom + I can't see my feet= not going in without water shoes!

That being said, when we went we loved CSS except the beach... And the beach is probably why we would not go back to that resort (or would do a split stay with a Negril resort too so we get some good beach time in).

If you're staying on the main beach, you really don't need water shoes, aqua socks, etc. If you're heading over to SSB, I would suggest a pair of water shoes if entering in to the Caribbean using that beach.

If you go to sunset beach you will need water shoes.

The main beach isn't rocky but there are sea urchins. I recommend water shoes for both beaches. I've been there many times and have never had an issue but I know people who have. Better safe sorry.

You will need them for sure at Sunset Beach.

Thanks everybody! Sounds like we should bring them just to be safe.

So excited!! But our trip isn't until November!

At CSS there is an included excursion to Dunn's River Falls where you WILL need water shoes to climb up the falls. At the main beach you will not need them as there is some sea weed and a couple larger rocks but mostly just nice soft sand. The A/N Sunset Beach is a bit rocky though. We brought them just for the Falls.

"SSB is so rocky that you wouldn't be able to go into the water even with water shoes. "
    "The bottom of the main beach is murky/goopy/slimey, kind of like the bottom of some lakes. "
    I am not sure what resort these people stayed at?? Absolutley no need for water shoes. SSB is "rockier" then the main beach, but no need for shoes. AS for the main beach, yes, some sea grass, but "goopy"??? Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    "SSB is so rocky that you wouldn't be able to go into the water even with water shoes. "
    "The bottom of the main beach is murky/goopy/slimey, kind of like the bottom of some lakes. "
    I am not sure what resort these people stayed at?? Absolutley no need for water shoes. SSB is "rockier" then the main beach, but no need for shoes. AS for the main beach, yes, some sea grass, but "goopy"??? Not at all.
    We stayed at Couples Sans Souci. Where did you stay?
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Yep! We stayed CSS too.

I grew up in San Diego and am very used to different types of beaches... San Diego has nice sandy beaches and sandy bottoms. CSS beaches are sandy with rougher sand and yes, a "goopy" bottom (although, I guess you could argue that if you went over to the beach by the spa at CSS, that has clear water, with only a bit of seaweed pieces here and there, and is just fine). And I agree that SSB has rocks although if you take a float and float over them you're okay.

Don't get me wrong I LOVED the rest of the resort but the beach I was not a fan of.

SS Beach is different at different times of the year. Its always changing because of the river. We have been there three times and each time, because of the river, the rocks at the beginning change patterns. One time out of three we did not need water shoes to go into the water if you went a certain way. The first time we went another couple told us about the beach changing, and it was hard to believe, but sure enough the next time we went, we realized they were right.

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    I'm with Wally on this one. Yes, the water at CSS does have lots of sea grass and felt a bit slimy on my feet w/o shoes. I had asked many questions on here before we went as I had seen some comments about the sea grass. I was assured it was fine.

That was one of the things that I was disappointed about. Not the beach/water that I thought it would be. We still had a great time but Negril definitely beats out Ocho for the beaches. And definitely water shoes to go into the water. Walking on the beach was okay. Of course, I can only speak for the textile side.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

We brought water shoes, but didn't always wear them. If not we had to be very careful where we stepped, as there were quite a few sea urchins in the water. Since it's so shallow for so far out, you can't just lift your feet and start swimming. Maybe things have changed since 2011 when we were there, as no one else mentions this. We did see a fisherman in a small boat with a big fishing net dragging it towards shore some mornings. Maybe he brought them in closer.
    Anyway, there was a guy who stepped on an urchin while we were on the beach. He seemed in great agony. The week before we met a lady who cut her foot on a rock at CTI. So water shoes are never a bad idea to be safe. But at CSA, I sure wouldn't bother

The main beach no, just a little seaweed here and there. SSB is so rocky that you wouldn't be able to go into the water even with water shoes.
    we have been to CSS and SSB 3 times and never needed water shoes at either beach...SSB changes all the time due to the river and ocean...but we have enjoyed the ocean there bare footed and bare bottomed and its all good. There was a sand bar there on our last trip there and a bunch of us waded out the the sand bar and sat on it and chatted and drank and had a wonderful time....no water shoes needed. It was a hoot when the sunset watchers showed up and we were still out there....they got a sunset and a few full moons! Love CSS and SSB!
    Chuck and Gail
    Washington DC area (Northern VA)
    CSS April 19th
    7th Trip to Couples (2xCSA 4xCSS 1xCTI)
    Too many trips to JA to count and still love it!