Thread: Jury Duty

Default Jury Duty

I'm down to 20 days before I'm SUPPOSED to fly out for 7 days at CTI (07/07/13). About 3 weeks ago, I received notice that I have been called for jury duty on the 9th--smack in the middle of my vacation. Everyone keeps telling me not to worry. Everyone keeps telling me that the court generally makes exceptions/reschedules in with this type of conflict. However, I let them know about my vacation two weeks ago, and I still haven't heard from the Judge's office. It is up to his discretion.

I do have travel insurance, but it doesn't cover everything. So, I will likely be out $2000.00. Of course, I'll reschedule in any event, but ...

Anyway, Iíve been obsessing about it, and I could sure use some prayers and positive thoughts sent my way.

Just an FYI. Where I am from they can not do anything to you about not showing up for jury duty because they have no proof that you received the information. Also they will normally let you out of it if you have a good excuse but you will be on the top of their list the next time they need people. I say just dont worry about it!

I was called for jury duty 1 week before our trip last month. I was lucky the clerk of court was a friend and the judge was in a good mood and pardoned me from showing up. I was nearly in tears telling him that this was my honeymoon (so please don't mess it up!). I would go see your clerk of court to find out if your request ever made it to the judge. Show them your tickets and a receipt from when you booked your trip. From what my c of c told me, there are many exceptions to the rule. Good luck!!

Call again and keep calling the courthouse. A few years ago, I got a summons for grand jury duty in New York State for a week when we had planned a vacation to Grand Cayman. They were very good about "deferring" my jury duty until the next month. However, I paid for it, because I was "lucky" enough to get selected for grand jury service, which is a month long commitment in NY.

oh geez, not the kind of stress you want right before you are to leave on vacation. i will for sure send prayers your way!!

As somebody who works with the courts, I'd call the clerk of courts and let them know you will be OUT OF THE COUNTRY but more than willing to come back if they will cover the mileage. The court won't want to pony up the cash.

In CA we are able to defer for 6 mo...they just ask that you send the reason..vacation being listed as a valid one.

Quote Originally Posted by jess_1217 View Post
    Just an FYI. Where I am from they cannot do anything to you about not showing up for jury duty because they have no proof that you received the information. Also they will normally let you out of it if you have a good excuse but you will be on the top of their list the next time they need people. I say just dont worry about it!
    That the OP has contacted the court about jury duty is evidence that he or she did in fact receive the jury duty summons.

Simply contact the clerk's office, let them know about your vacation, and request that they defer your service until a later term.
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

Good news! The judge called to let me know I've been excused! 11 more days until CTI!

Wonderful! Enjoy your vacay!!