Thread: Love away plan?

Default Love away plan?

We booked for November using the love away plan, paid the $100 deposit. When the deposit went from our bank account we noticed an international fee, which is okay, but my question is is the fee based on the amount you pay for a fixed fee? We are going to be making payments monthly and of course would like to save on the fee so if it is a fixed rate we will try to pay more to reduce the amount of times we pay the fee.

We booked for SA and are staying in an ocean verandah room. Any building or room suggestions? Would like a bath tub and view. Anyone know the building numbers or locations of the ocean verandah rooms?

Thanks!!!!

Randy has several times said that our credit cards should not be charging the international fee because the money is charged to the home office base in Florida (USA). But it keeps coming up on our card and I keep calling only to be told it IS coming from Jamaica so they are allowed to charge me the international fee each time the payment is made... I'm having no luck with my credit card on this, they keep insisting it is from Jamaica. Good luck.

NOt sure what bank you use, but that international fee is from YOUR bank NOT Couples! I would speak to the them to see if they could wave the fee since the payment will be coming out every month! We always book with love away plan and our bank does NOT charge the international fee. I guess we're lucky!!

I called the bank this morning and they said it s a one percent charge. They will not waive it. Oh we'll, Couples is worth it!!

Its a fee by your bank and the amount is set by them. I think my Credit Union charges $.08 every month.

We used the love away plan and our bank charged a 3% international fee, they said it's coming from Jamaica not Florida. Since it's a flat 3% we would end up paying the same amount whether we paid $100 each month or increased the payment ...

We've done the Love Away plan the past 2 trips & were never charged a fee when the deposit or $100 payments were paid by our credit card. I was unhappy with the bank because we were suppose to get 5% cash back on charges for hotels & resorts during the time that we would be making the final payment (which was a couple of thousand $$'s) but they just did the normal 1% ..... When I called to complain, they told me that even though it shows "ISSA Hotels & Resorts" as the place the payment is going that Couples has it under "real estate" not "hotels & resorts" so they couldn't do the 5% unless Couples recoded how they have themselves listed ..... I figured that was useless to try to get that done so argued & they finally gave me 4% cash back instead of the 5% ........ Still not right but better than wasting more time arguing. Still don't understand it .... HOTEL & RESORTS is right in the name of the place so don't understand the code mattering.
    Julie

the fee is percentage based, in my experience

We don't ever get the charge either. I use an AmEx card. Don't know if that matters??? Blondie is correct on who is applying the fee.

We want to do the la plan for our next trip! We want to do a split stay so that would mean 2 plans right? We want to do CN and back to CSA.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribbeanlove View Post
    We want to do the la plan for our next trip! We want to do a split stay so that would mean 2 plans right? We want to do CN and back to CSA.
    I think split stays are handled as two reservations. So, you could do the Love Away plan on one and a traditional reservation on the other. You'd initially pay $100 for the Love Away reservation and $400 deposit for the traditional reservation. If the Love Away reservation becomes completely paid up, then transition the traditional reservation to a Love Away plan at that time. Otherwise, I'd think you'd pay $200 a month for the Love Away ($100 per reservation). The balance of both reservations would be due 45 days prior to check-in of each respective resort.

Call 1-800-COUPLES to verify. They might let you treat it as one reservation for Love Away treatment.
    Happy & Safe Travels!

=

Quote Originally Posted by Maxernie View Post
    We've done the Love Away plan the past 2 trips & were never charged a fee when the deposit or $100 payments were paid by our credit card. I was unhappy with the bank because we were suppose to get 5% cash back on charges for hotels & resorts during the time that we would be making the final payment (which was a couple of thousand $$'s) but they just did the normal 1% ..... When I called to complain, they told me that even though it shows "ISSA Hotels & Resorts" as the place the payment is going that Couples has it under "real estate" not "hotels & resorts" so they couldn't do the 5% unless Couples recoded how they have themselves listed ..... I figured that was useless to try to get that done so argued & they finally gave me 4% cash back instead of the 5% ........ Still not right but better than wasting more time arguing. Still don't understand it .... HOTEL & RESORTS is right in the name of the place so don't understand the code mattering.
    Database issue. They process automatically based on the one field (if field A = hotel & resorts then pay 5%). They can't manually process every transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiGal04 View Post
    Randy has several times said that our credit cards should not be charging the international fee because the money is charged to the home office base in Florida (USA). But it keeps coming up on our card and I keep calling only to be told it IS coming from Jamaica so they are allowed to charge me the international fee each time the payment is made... I'm having no luck with my credit card on this, they keep insisting it is from Jamaica. Good luck.
    I've always been charged an international fee for any payment I've made towards our reservation and never thought twice about calling our bank to dispute it. Thanks for the info, I'll call next time.
    Honeymoon @ CSA 2010; CSS 2011 & 2012; CTI June 2013

I used the love away plan last year and I am using it again this year and haven't been charged an international fee

Discover, Amex, and Capital One do not charge foreign transaction fees. There may be more but those are 3 I know off the top of my head. Most credit unions don't either if you would prefer to use a bank account instead of a credit card. I made the mistake of using my huntington debit card to pay the deposit and was charged a 3% foreign transaction fee. Huntington waived the fee this time but it would have been charged for the final payment. I did call Couples and they had no problem changing cards for me so I would not be charged the fee.

I think the internation fee depends on the credit card you use. At one time our Discover did charge, and they have changed it now. The Visa (AARP Visa) we use has never charged a fee, so we always used that for our lay away plan.
    Linda

Have used the love away plan and currently have 3 reservations on the love away plan. Never have had a fee charged to my card. I even pay extra from time to time. Never a fee.