Thread: Bob Marleys

Default Bob Marleys

How strong are is this drink? My wife and I will be at CSS on Monday and I saw a picture of it and it looks real nice. If I have 1 or 2 will this drink sneak up on me?...Thanks!

We will be there too. Let us know when you plan on taking these two shots so we can watch. Ha ha!

Depending on your tolerance for alcohol, yes, they most likely will "sneak up on you". Very strong! I've never had one (and will not) but have watched several people "enjoy" them.

I must apologize.... I'm laughing right now. That should answer your question.

CSA Aug. 2011, July 2012, July 2013, July 2014
    CSS Aug. 2011, Aug. 2014

The "kicker" is Overproof. The three colored layers are minimally alcoholic/non alcoholic

Grenadine, Grand Marnier (or banana liquor), Creme de Menthe

It's all about your tolerance.

They are not that bad. I think too many would get you sick before you get drunk. All I taste is peppermint. Too sweet for me. But when at Couples you have to try one. Enjoy, it just might be your thing!!!

you have to have one!...and YES...a couple of them will definitely sneak up on ya!

no sneaking involved, just a frontal approach with a very jolly sledgehammer

Haaaaaaaaaaa....Yall are too funny!!!...I will have one!!!!!

As a former bartender, I can say that people highly overexaggerate the strength of the Bob Marley. It's about 1/3 oz of grenadine, 1/3 oz creme de menthe, 1/3 oz of Grand Marnier or Galliano and an Overproof rum floater (about another 1/3 oz) It's probably close to or less alcohol than vodka by volume. The question really is, how big do they make it?

At CN, I've seen them in those thin plastic shooters, which are barely over a shot glass in size, but I've also seen them in those martini-type glasses, which are a lot bigger. In reality, from an alcohol standpoint, they're really not that bad. It just that, after you've been drinking all day in the sun, it can hit like a ton of bricks, if you're not accustomed to doing shots after you already have a buzz going.

As far as the taste, it's literally one of the worst possible combinations of flavors, and tastes like a bathtub version of horrible cough syrup. Think about it, grenadine, mint liquer, and orange liquer?!!!

That being said, I always have a couple on each trip for nostalgia, and our first trip, I did four in a row, and nobody had to carry me anywhere.

Gotta try one at least once!
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

My wife and I had one when we went to CSS, and the worst part of it was the burning sensation from the peppermint fumes that worked its way up and out my nose. I literally could feel the fumes coming out as I breathed out my nose. But no worries mon! I didn't have to blow my nose the rest of that day!!

A question about the bob marleys though... what is the "proper" way to drink them? If I remember right, the bartender laid a straw out for each of us, but since it is a bob marley SHOT, my wife and I just threw our heads back and slammed the drink down. Does using the straw give you a different experience?

297 days until my next Bob Marley!!

When we were at CTI a couple weeks ago, after playing the "Newlywed Game" out on the Isle, everyone had a Bob Marley. Now, I'm not a drinker, so I was kind of expecting it to hit me hard at some point, but it never did. To me, tasted like an Andes Mint that had been soaked in alcohol. VERY sweet.

Jason

Depends on how many you have. I had 5 Marleys with Red Stripe chasers, plus Red Stripe all day. By the time the Cat ride came, I was gone. I passed out on the boat. I remember getting on and off but nothing in between. What a trip!

Let me put it this way, I am a large male (over 250lbs). We did one right before lunch at SSB. By the time we got out of the pool and walked over to have lunch by the main beach (about 150 yards), I was buzzed pretty good. Keep in mind I had been drinking a few alcoholic beverages that morning, but the Bob Marley made the difference. That was the only day we did the shots while there and never once did I get that buzzed/drunk again.
    CSS 5/21-5/31/13

I don't think 1 or 2 will sneak up on you, however, 3 or more will. You have to try at least one Bob Marley and another one of my favorites at CN is Monkey Brains. Umm, what I wouldn't give for one of those right now!

The key, and they will tell you to do this, is to drink it quickly through a straw. This may sound strange but you'll thank me later. If you start sipping it you will never finish it! Suck it down! I had one and felt nothing. I was surprised but maybe if you have 2 or 3 or 12 you will feel something!
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

First time I've ever gotten drunk off of one shot, but they are our first day ritual now. The first thing we do is head to the swim up bar and order a round.

My wife and I have one every day to start the evening. I would start by ordering a "Baby Marley". Then you drink the entire drink at one time with a straw. We usually chase it with a Caribbean Martini.

I have the world's sturdiest liver and typically outdrink men twice my size. Even I have a rule: one per day. One.

As long as its your first drink of the day you will be good! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by a63vetteowner View Post
    Depends on how many you have.
    Bakers dozen is where I called it, and my tolerance has dropped since then. They aren't THAT bad...depending on the Overproof content.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnessinthesand View Post

A question about the bob marleys though... what is the "proper" way to drink them?
    Straw; bottom to top.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    At CN, I've seen them in those thin plastic shooters, which are barely over a shot glass in size, but I've also seen them in those martini-type glasses, which are a lot bigger. In reality, from an alcohol standpoint, they're really not that bad. It just that, after you've been drinking all day in the sun, it can hit like a ton of bricks, if you're not accustomed to doing shots after you already have a buzz going.
    At CSS this past March, they had them in the martini glasses. I had never had one before even though this wasn't our first trip to JA. They gave me a straw but I just kicked it back. It does hit you later on. Hubby agreed and he's a much bigger drinker than I am. But this was also later in the day (before going up to the room to shower and get ready for dinner) so I had a few (okay, many) drinks during the day already. I do agree... you need to do it once per trip. But that was enough for me!
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

[Always sip a Bob Marley slowly. That way you can prove you're a REAL man!

As for me? I'll drink that sucka as fast as I can with a straw!
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

Knock it back! screw the straw