Hybrid View

Default Ocho Rios shopping

Can someone tell me if the shopping in Ocho Rios is located where the cruise ships dock? Went to CN last year and on our way to CTI this December. Would love to do some shopping on this trip and heard there is a big shopping area where the ships dock. If so, does the resort have transportation or should we get a taxi so we can take our time and enjoy? Thank you in advance for any information you may have.

I don't know about the transportation from Couples but I have been to Ocho Rios many times. There is a large shopping area (I think Island Plaza) where the ships come in. Margaritaville is there. If you go while a ship is in port, do not shop yet! It's a great party time with the cruisers but prices are high. The ships usually leave around 3pm and all the shops will make you a bargain. There is another 'duty free' shopping mall on the other side of the street from the larger mall. There are alot of t-shirt shops and places to get rum cream and rum cakes. Up the hill from this area is a fantastic restaurant 'Evita's' if you ever wait to get away for a night. Call and they will send a car for you and take you back - just tip the driver. The food is to die for and it is a very romantic setting.

The area by the cruise ships is Island Village, its a complex of which Margaritaville is a part. Shops here have most all of the touristy items available in the other shopping areas like the Taj Mahal.

Island village is low sales pressure. Taj Mahal is a little more pressure. Compared to the vendors outside or Dunn's River Falls, both will seem like complete tranquility. Put on your war face before entering the Dunn's River Fall market.

The Ochee resorts shopping trip I believe takes you to Taj Mahal. I'd say there's nothing at Island Village you can not find at Taj Mahal, however the environment at Island village is a little more pleasant. You might spend a dollar or two more at one place over the other, but nothing worth getting excited about. We normally find ourselves at each place at sometime during our vacation. You can walk from Taj Mahal to Island Village without any problems.

S/F
    Scott and June

We went on shopping trips both times at CTI and once was to Taj Mahal and the other time was to Soni's Plaza. Both had the same items I would say Soni's was a little less hassle to bargain with. Shopping trips are one of my favorite excursions Don't forget about the vendors at Couples. I bought all of my jewelry from a vendor at CTI last time and plan on buying my jewelry on resort again this trip.

The thing that bothers me about the resort shopping trips is being dropped off at Taj Mahal (in our case) and spending money that is being sent to another country. Jamaica is so poor and I prefer to walk a block or two down the street and buy from the locals in the market. I guess they may be a little more aggressive but they have always been extremely helpful- helping me locate which vendor has what I am looking for. I love remembering the guy that was carving the birds I waited for him to finish so I could buy them. Every time I look at a painting I have in my home, I remember the smile of the artist who showed me how to carry it until it was completely dry. The little kids in their school uniforms take time to talk to me when I speak to them. I gave one a dollar and a little later he was chasing me down to give me a bucket he made from a toothpaste lid. Last time we were at Taj Mahl, two women got into a huge fight about which one was going to braid my hair. It was embarrassing even for this loud Texan! To top it off, the man from the main store there came outside and made the lady who did braid my hair (neither of the two fighters) give him a % because we were in the parking lot which he claimed as "his property." BUT, we do always buy cigars, coffee, and jewelry from the big store across the street from Taj Mahl and my husband is a barter-er from hell! I doubt much of that money stays in Jamaica!
    Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by CTKMann View Post
    The thing that bothers me about the resort shopping trips is being dropped off at Taj Mahal (in our case) and spending money that is being sent to another country. Jamaica is so poor and I prefer to walk a block or two down the street and buy from the locals in the market. I guess they may be a little more aggressive but they have always been extremely helpful- helping me locate which vendor has what I am looking for. I love remembering the guy that was carving the birds I waited for him to finish so I could buy them. Every time I look at a painting I have in my home, I remember the smile of the artist who showed me how to carry it until it was completely dry. The little kids in their school uniforms take time to talk to me when I speak to them. I gave one a dollar and a little later he was chasing me down to give me a bucket he made from a toothpaste lid. Last time we were at Taj Mahl, two women got into a huge fight about which one was going to braid my hair. It was embarrassing even for this loud Texan! To top it off, the man from the main store there came outside and made the lady who did braid my hair (neither of the two fighters) give him a % because we were in the parking lot which he claimed as "his property." BUT, we do always buy cigars, coffee, and jewelry from the big store across the street from Taj Mahl and my husband is a barter-er from hell! I doubt much of that money stays in Jamaica!
    Tammy
    I'm not sure why you think that money spent at the Taj Mahal shopping center would be sent to another country instead of staying in Jamaica? These stores are owned an operated by Jamaican business people (many of whom are of East Indian descent- "Out of Many, One People"), so the money is supporting Jamaican business. We also like to support local artists and craftsmen and have purchased several items from them over several trips. We not fond of some the "high pressure" tactics used by some of the vendors, and have always purchased from the vendors who did not take this approach.

That was the most disappointing thing about our trip to CSS is that they didn't take us to a real mall to shop . Just the Taj Mahal , if I read more closely maybe I would have realized it was a tourist place . I far sooner would pay a little more and buy from the venders at the resort for touristy items , could probably talk them down a little more then what they offered .

I am a shopaholic and I really don't like going to the Taj mahal. I told my hubby next time we are going off the property. Actually I buy pretty much everything at the gift shop and from the vendors on site. I think the deals are about the same. and they are not all the same thing.

When we do Couples on the ochie side of the island, the shopping is always much better than in negril. A few years back, I got my wife a bracelet in one of the jewelry stores. Was able to negotiate close to $10,000 US off the (admittedly exorbitant) price the jeweler wanted. There is some different quality about shopping in ocho rios than what you find in negril. One of the original posters was right though... Dunns river market... Insane.

We usually do Island Village and Taj Mahal one day, then go to Soni's on another unless we want to compare prices.

Island Village is a ghost town compared to how it used to be since the new port opened up a while back, though the Puma store is neat to hit.