Default JUNE 21/26 DISAPPOINTED CSA FIRST TIME- response from a repeater

As the above thread was closed, I wanted to chime in so am starting a new thread. As a repeater to CSA (we go twice a year) I'd like to comment as follows:

1. You chose to go to a tropical location during hurricane season and experienced rain every day. I'm (not) shocked It's the tropics. It rains. Daily. We go in April and late October to avoid hurricanes and a lot of rain.

2. As everyone else said, you had sand flea bites, not bed bugs. Couples prides themselves on cleanliness, and we've never experienced bed bugs...it's never appeared on the boards, either.

3. Agree with others; you probably had tummy aches from the daily jerk, or other foods you're not accustomed to. The culinary team at CSA is fabulous!

4. Omelette lines are long at every restaurant stateside or out of country...we had breakfast early and got in line early if we wanted an omelette. Simple.

5. To get the Feathers experience, I'd have opted to take a time slot on any other night during my stay and not just limit myself to one night. I like having a 3,4,8 day birthday

The person who said "your vacation is what you make of it" said it best..... we'll be back in 94 days!

Default late october

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    As the above thread was closed, I wanted to chime in so am starting a new thread. As a repeater to CSA (we go twice a year) I'd like to comment as follows:

1. You chose to go to a tropical location during hurricane season and experienced rain every day. I'm (not) shocked It's the tropics. It rains. Daily. We go in April and late October to avoid hurricanes and a lot of rain.

2. As everyone else said, you had sand flea bites, not bed bugs. Couples prides themselves on cleanliness, and we've never experienced bed bugs...it's never appeared on the boards, either.

3. Agree with others; you probably had tummy aches from the daily jerk, or other foods you're not accustomed to. The culinary team at CSA is fabulous!

4. Omelette lines are long at every restaurant stateside or out of country...we had breakfast early and got in line early if we wanted an omelette. Simple.

5. To get the Feathers experience, I'd have opted to take a time slot on any other night during my stay and not just limit myself to one night. I like having a 3,4,8 day birthday

The person who said "your vacation is what you make of it" said it best..... we'll be back in 94 days!
    I love CSA.Did you say late Oct...last year late Oct went for 7 nights on our 5th night Hurricane Sandy hit JA had to stay 11 nights, due to Hurricane sandy.and was stuck( i know how can you say stuck) at csa on halloween when i really really needed and should been home in NYC. but i won the pumpkin carving contest ...two years before that some other big tropical storm.None of the workers could get to work no house keeping no toilet paper..no one knows the weather..but Vacation is what you make of it.

I didn't know why the thread was closed and wasn't able to response to the comments so I'm clearing myself up.

Note that I've been to Jamaica last year for my honeynoon at another AI resort and LOVED IT that's why we decided to come back and will continue to come back to Jamaica despite of this disappointing trip. I think Jamaican people are the most friendliest people and because I've been to Mexico numerous of time, I rather go to Jamaica for the people and the food.

1. I looked at the weather before I went and saw that it will be raining and thought well last year it rained too but only for 20 mins and then stopped. I know CSA can't control the weather but it cuts our beach time in half as it poured every day. Nothing I or CSA can do about it, just sucks that we can't enjoy our whole week there to the fullest.

2. I don't even know what sand fleas are but from what everyone is saying then it must be it. I just thought it was bed bugs because we got it at night and all over our backs and legs so I assumed that.

3. I'm from Houston, where I'm accustomed to many different cuisine and maybe 1 or 2 stomach ache but everyday is unusual for me. I'm pregnant and have yet got morning sickness from any food. I love Thai food and eat it once a week so when everyone was praising Lemon Grass, I was super excited to try but that's just my opinion. My hubby hates buffet but he was willing to eat it more than once because he didn't really care. Like I mentioned, we were in Jamaica last year and no problem with any of the food while we were there at another resort. We absolutely love jerk chicken and can eat it everyday so I doubt that was the problem as we ate it everyday last year as well. I forgot to mention in my review that we got to eat at Patois for dinner and it was fabulous, probably the best dinner we had there.

I guess everyone is not used to seeing any negative reviews on the MB about the resort but everyone is different so our experiences are different. I will be coming back to Jamaica just not to CSA.

Suzi, I so agree with you!! You are right about everything! I hate to see anyone have a bad vacation! Food likes or dislikes is a opinion. 99% of the people that stay with Couples and CSA love the food! We have traveled many places and the food at CSA was awesome!! We had our first trip there in May and we can't wait to go back!

Well put Suzi!!! I couldn't agree with you more on the "your vacation is what you make of it". We can not wait to go back!!!!

exactly.............. onelOve

Shayla,

Good luck on finding your utopia. Not every place is for everyone. My friends and family don't understand what we see in CSS, and I don't get why they love the resort in Cancun. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by shayla View Post
    I didn't know why the thread was closed and wasn't able to response to the comments so I'm clearing myself up.

Note that I've been to Jamaica last year for my honeynoon at another AI resort and LOVED IT that's why we decided to come back and will continue to come back to Jamaica despite of this disappointing trip. I think Jamaican people are the most friendliest people and because I've been to Mexico numerous of time, I rather go to Jamaica for the people and the food.

1. I looked at the weather before I went and saw that it will be raining and thought well last year it rained too but only for 20 mins and then stopped. I know CSA can't control the weather but it cuts our beach time in half as it poured every day. Nothing I or CSA can do about it, just sucks that we can't enjoy our whole week there to the fullest.

2. I don't even know what sand fleas are but from what everyone is saying then it must be it. I just thought it was bed bugs because we got it at night and all over our backs and legs so I assumed that.

3. I'm from Houston, where I'm accustomed to many different cuisine and maybe 1 or 2 stomach ache but everyday is unusual for me. I'm pregnant and have yet got morning sickness from any food. I love Thai food and eat it once a week so when everyone was praising Lemon Grass, I was super excited to try but that's just my opinion. My hubby hates buffet but he was willing to eat it more than once because he didn't really care. Like I mentioned, we were in Jamaica last year and no problem with any of the food while we were there at another resort. We absolutely love jerk chicken and can eat it everyday so I doubt that was the problem as we ate it everyday last year as well. I forgot to mention in my review that we got to eat at Patois for dinner and it was fabulous, probably the best dinner we had there.

I guess everyone is not used to seeing any negative reviews on the MB about the resort but everyone is different so our experiences are different. I will be coming back to Jamaica just not to CSA.
    Keep in mind, it's not that people aren't used to seeing negative reviews. We're repeaters and would never say everything at Couples is always perfect. If you read your review, you basically complained about 3 things: the weather, the sand fleas and the food. I think most peoples' points, including mine, are that you complained about two things that Couples has no control of. Then, you complained about the food, but, admittedly, only tried a few things. Negative reviews are welcome, as long as they are specific to the resort and valid. The weather and sand fleas are not under the control of any resort, and you said you only ate specific items, and shunned menus based on description without actually trying them out. Most repeaters aren't attacking you for being negative. Your perception of the entire experience is the only thing being questioned. I actually appreciated what was Couples-specific, but that wasn't much. Entertainment, watersports, airport lounge & transfers, in-room breakfast, tipping policy, your room (other than "bed bugs"), etc., etc. etc. were not addressed at all. Although you did comment about the beds, which we also think are awesome, and we have a Euro pillow top at home, LOL. If you didn't have a great time, that's totally cool. It just seems that there were only one or two things you didn't like that "ruined" your trip. That's why repeaters question you. Either way, it doesn't really matter. This is just a message board for sounding off peoples' opinions!
    Last edited by dank120; July 8th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Shayla I am sorry everything was not perfect for you on your trip. I understand your not wanting to return to CSA but maybee you should try a different resort within the Couples chain. I am sorry your food experence was not up to what you were hoping for or expecting, sometimes your taste buds and stomach does not agree with everything you put on or in it. You know when you go to say Mcdonalds and there is that one time when the food just taste alot better than normal or alot worce than normal but you know its all cooked the same could that be it? Like I said I hope you dont write off the entire Couples chain for the reasons you posted, there are just way to many repeaters to Couples for it to have been really all that bad, and yes I myself am a reapeater

[QUOTE=Suzi;219651]As the above thread was closed, I wanted to chime in so am starting a new thread. As a repeater to CSA (we go twice a year) I'd like to comment as follows:

QUOTE]

Here's my quibble....

On EVERY thread asking about weather, expressing concern about forecasts, etc there will be numerous responses from guests saying things like "It only rains 10 minutes a day" "They always forecast rain, it never happens" "It's just liquid sunshine, go have fun" and assorted variations on the theme.

Our very first trip to then COR featured a stalled out tropical system that produced steady rain from Sat to Wed. I think we need to be honest with potential new guests. It does sometimes rain. Sometimes even for days on ends. And just like at almost every tropical resort, the staff tries, but when you've been looking forward to a sunny beach vacation for months there really is no good Plan B. This is particularly the case when it is your first trip and you don't know anybody. We got very lucky as we were adopted by a small but fun group of friends that helped the time go by in an enjoyable fashion. It could have been a LOT worse than it was

Agree, MattnSharon... like I said, if you choose ANY tropical destination during hurricane season (June 1-November 30) you can expect rain. Daily. We live in "sunny" South Florida and have pseudo-monsoons almost daily in hurricane season.

While it may cost more to go off-hurricane season, the weather is much more co-operative for outdoor fun!

Regarding the comments of "liquid sunshine" or saying it rains for 10 minutes... I say light up, order a cocktail, take a nap or enjoy other indoor activities when it rains! You're still in paradise!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Agree, MattnSharon... like I said, if you choose ANY tropical destination during hurricane season (June 1-November 30) you can expect rain. Daily. We live in "sunny" South Florida and have pseudo-monsoons almost daily in hurricane season.

While it may cost more to go off-hurricane season, the weather is much more co-operative for outdoor fun!

Regarding the comments of "liquid sunshine" or saying it rains for 10 minutes... I say light up, order a cocktail, take a nap or enjoy other indoor activities when it rains! You're still in paradise!
    That's my point. It's NOT paradise when it's raining, and I'd never tell anybody it is. If the forecast says it's going to rain every day, it just might. Paying a bunch of money to go to the beach and then not being able to go to the beach is unlikely to please many people. We had enough fun despite the weather that we've been back two or three times since, with the next Couples trip in less than a month. It could have very easily gone the other way though.

The weather thing always gives me a chuckle. Professional meteroligists have sketchy records at certain times in every local on the globe. They get it right here in DFW though in the summer. Heck I could do it, 100, 100, 100 etc.

All that anybody on here can offer up is their personal experience and that is all luck of the draw and up to Mother Nature's whims. I've been to CSA 5 times for 7-8 days each time. Mid-May, July 4, last week of July, and the weeks before and after Labor Day. Only had one day where it actually "rained" to where you didn't want to be outside for 3-4 hours and that happened in the May week. Had a couple days that were light rain all afternoon but it sure didn't stop the outdoor party and then all other rain was the pop-up shower stuff that lasted an hour give or take 30 minutes.

So, just don't sweat the weather before you go as it is just unneeded stress. Why worry about something that hasn't happened yet and may not.

I have noticed a trend on the message board and agree with those that say Repeaters just don't like negative comments. Because the repeaters are just that, those that go back time and time again, they can't believe others don't love the resort they love. We spent a week at Couples Tower Isle and five nights at Couples Negril in June and found CTI was a disappointment. Because we had read the message board every day and only heard wonderful things our expectations were very high, and CTI did not meet them or even come close, especially in the friendly staff area, they just weren't that friendly. So I think what is happening is those of us that are disappointed are trying to give our opinions so that when reading the board people get a truer picture overall, maybe so others just like ourselves won't have unrealistic expectations.

Of course this is just my opinion but I do find for every negative opinion often there are several messages from repeaters trying to counteract the negative one. For the Repeaters, negative opinions are not personal, we let you tell how wonderful you think your home is please give others the courtesy of telling their side without bashing their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kldell View Post
    I have noticed a trend on the message board and agree with those that say Repeaters just don't like negative comments. Because the repeaters are just that, those that go back time and time again, they can't believe others don't love the resort they love.
    I am a Repeater, having gone to Couples more than 30 times since 1985, and most of those trips have been to CSA. What I have learned is that those who don't like something at CSA would probably be aghast if I found something wrong with their favorite vacation spot. It's not rocket science; people have favorites. What makes Couples unique, however, is that they allow negative comments to appear on this message board (do any of the other resorts even have a message board?)

There a few things that I don't like about CSA, smoking on the beach, for example, but they're easily overlooked in my mind by all the wonderful things that keep bringing me back twice a year.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Kidell, I think what most had a problem with, if you will call it that. Was that the original posters gripes seemed to be more with things couples can't control, then with the resort itself. That is the feeling I got, she was unhappy with some of the dinner choices others had raved about, or with the feeling of not having had enough to eat. Part of the fun, if you will call it that, is the ability to try new foods without having paid a fortune for it, and unable to get something else in its sted. Even if Couples isn't everything to all, I believe the overall package is hard to beat.

I have noticed a trend on the message board and agree with those that say Repeaters just don't like negative comments.

Of course this is just my opinion but I do find for every negative opinion often there are several messages from repeaters trying to counteract the negative one.
    It's difficult to get an unbiased opinion about Couples on the Couples message board. You have a group of "enthusiasts" moderated by a Couples manager. While some negativity does get through, there is often censorship which is only evident to the person who posts.

I find that "enthusiasts" tend to take any negative comment as a personal affront and defend as if they had been personally insulted. While it is obvious that some expectations and complaints aren't realistic, there are also real problems and mistakes are made. In my business I've always known that you have to justify your actions and own your mistakes. If you own your mistake you can learn from it and improve. If you deny and ignore your mistakes you can't get any better.

That all being said, vacations are a business and as long as the resort fills up they can do whatever they want and my opinion isn't worth the electrons it took to post it.

I/we are many time repeaters and love the Couples formula. We tell our friends about our great experiences and generally love our vacations and experience. We don't pretend everything is perfect and have complained/suggested with the aim to making things better in OUR OPINION. We find Couples management is generally accepting of input but they make decisions based on business. Our choice is to decide what is acceptable and what we just can't deal with. We're stuck on the Couples chain but have decided that not all Couples resorts work for our dollars.

My comments here aren't about the original post. they are more an observation relating to the quote.

I have noticed a trend on the message board and agree with those that say Repeaters just don't like negative comments. Because the repeaters are just that, those that go back time and time again, they can't believe others don't love the resort they love. We spent a week at Couples Tower Isle and five nights at Couples Negril in June and found CTI was a disappointment. Because we had read the message board every day and only heard wonderful things our expectations were very high, and CTI did not meet them or even come close, especially in the friendly staff area, they just weren't that friendly. So I think what is happening is those of us that are disappointed are trying to give our opinions so that when reading the board people get a truer picture overall, maybe so others just like ourselves won't have unrealistic expectations.

Of course this is just my opinion but I do find for every negative opinion often there are several messages from repeaters trying to counteract the negative one. For the Repeaters, negative opinions are not personal, we let you tell how wonderful you think your home is please give others the courtesy of telling their side without bashing their opinion.
    Agreed. Like I've always said, CN is our favorite resort we've ever been to, but my wife and I by no means find it "perfect" in all aspects. It's just that weather and insects are no different at any Couples resort than they are at any other resort on Jamaica on the same given day at the same time.

On another note, you were disappointed in CTI, but what did you think of CN?
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Shayla, again sorry you didn't enjoy your trip! It did rain every day on our trip! Couple hours every afternoon! Was a bummer, but didn't ruin our trip or how we liked CSA! Honestly you can't judge the food if you only try a couple things! Sorry you had tummy issues! Can happen anytime you travel! You said you are pregnant, I think that is why! I personally would never travel out of the country pregnant! Glad you enjoyed your dinner at Patios! We didn't care for LG either! Feathers was awesome!! You missed out on that! Sad fleas can be a bother! Happened to us in Mexico before! No issues for us at CSA! Thank god! Sorry you had a issue! Not CSA fault! It was our first trip to Jamaica and CSA! We fell in love with both! Can I ask you, did you stay in the older section or newer! What level? I don't think that people get upset about negative comments, I just think people are surprised! Everyone has their own experience! I did major research before we booked to make sure I booked the right resort for us and what we were looking for! I can say we have no desire to try CTI! Not so sure about CSS? CSA we will go back and may try a split stay! Enjoy CN too! Happy future traveling to you!

I have been to CSA once - during hurricane Sandy. We stayed 14 nights and the airport was closed the day before we were due to fly home. We had to stay an extra day.

During our holiday it rained maybe 6 times out of the 15 days, even with the onset of Sandy.

I was bitten unmercifully by sand fleas and developed a severe reaction which involved a visit to the nurse and the doctor being called out, two injections, antihistamine tablets and antibiotic tablets every day and excessive use of cortisone cream.

I are something that totally disagreed with me on night 13 and spent the whole night in the bathroom and the whole of our extra day in bed.

We have just booked to return in March 2014 and I am so excited I could dance!!!!!

This holiday was without doubt the best I have ever had. From the moment we arrived we were looked after like long time friends. The place is stunningly beautiful. The staff are amazing. The food is delicious - all of it!!!

Do I blame Couples for any of the things that went wrong? Certainly not!! These things could have happened anywhere. This time when we go I will be better prepared for the sand fleas, taking antihistamine before I travel, well supplied with bug spray and Imodium etc.

None of the little problems could outweigh how amazing this resort is - and I really don't like being unwell lol!!

CSA makes you so relaxed - as one staff member said to me as I scurried back to my room to get a forgotten camera, "slow down mon, you're in Jamaica"

Looking forward to coming home in 250 days and counting ��

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Agreed. Like I've always said, CN is our favorite resort we've ever been to, but my wife and I by no means find it "perfect" in all aspects. It's just that weather and insects are no different at any Couples resort than they are at any other resort on Jamaica on the same given day at the same time.

On another note, you were disappointed in CTI, but what did you think of CN?
    We loved CN. We found the employees friendlier from the moment we were welcomed home to the end of our trip. The beach is beautiful and we spend most of our time there. CN is everything that everyone posts, Wonderful!!

My observation earlier was not meant to bash the repeaters but to try to explain why someone may post a negative review. My reason to post would be to ensure that everyone has a more realistic opinion. After reading all the reviews, several times, I think we went to CTI with very high expectations that just couldn't be met and maybe if there was some other reviews our expectations would have been what they should have been and we might not have been disappointed at CTI.