Default CSA - best off resort cultural experiences in October

Hello all, curious on your opinions as to what are the best off resort cultural experiences. Is there a tour that includes coffee plantations? How about meeting and learning more about the islands people?

Walk the beach. It's free (if you don't buy anything on the way) and more informative than going on a canned tour that's scripted toward the average tourist. It's safe, no worries, and friendly.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

The coffee is grown in the Blue Mountains, way on the other side of the island.

You don't need reservation for Palms or Patois and as far as I know Palms is only buffet on Mon, Wed and Fri.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob & Helena View Post
    Hello all, curious on your opinions as to what are the best off resort cultural experiences. Is there a tour that includes coffee plantations? How about meeting and learning more about the islands people?
    You can try the Bob Marley Nine Mile Tour in St. Ann. You can also do a Negril Highlight Tour that takes you to different areas in the Negril community where you can meet and greet with locals.

Walk out to the beach, turn left and walk off resort, immerse yourselves in the culture, interact with the locals, stop into the small local bars and jerk shops, have fun...

Hanging out at some bar on the cliffs during sunsets super cool. Do that for sure. Pushcart is a great place to do that.

The Blue Mountain area, where the best coffee is grown, is on the opposite side of the island from Negril, but for some real cultural experience, try the Black River Safari/YS Falls/Appleton Estate Rum Tour.

Very cool and eye-opening experience. It's about $90-100 per person, takes most of a day, from 9am til about 4pm, and is awesome! You see a lot of things most of the "I never leave the resort"-types don't get to see, and you meet a ton of cool people who don't just have to be nice because they work at a resort. When you get back and you tell some of the employees where you went and what you saw, the mutual respect level goes up tenfold. It makes you understand and appreciate the people even more, and you will make new friends based on that alone. Highly recommended! We did that on our first trip, and, frankly, is one of the many reasons we keep going back to this beautiful island. We did the Jungle Canopy Zipline Tour on our last trip, and there were people we met that treated us differently just because we had been to or through their hometowns to see how they roll. If you don't enjoy that interaction with the locals, you might as well go to Miami... LOL
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

When are you going to be at CSA? We'll be there 10/5-14. My husband does a jerk tour...quite a great cultural AND culinary experience! He's been going since the '80's...we were married at CSA in April. This will be my 5th trip home! Can't wait!

Want to meet some real Jamaicans, and do some good at the same time? Do a search for Saint Anthony, negril and soup kitchen.

The friars have a soup kitchen down on the west end that feeds a goodly number of kids each morning, and they have a thrift shop for the disadvantaged locals in the area. It's not really what I would call a tourist destination, but... It gives you a chance to meet some locals, and if you are so inclined to help them out a bit.

We've put together an enormous duffel of clothes, shoes, toys, etc to drop off on our trip in November. It did not cost us much, as every time we see a really good sale or clearance (such as summer clothes in the fall) we've picked them up and tossed it in the bag. They even take volunteers on some mornings to get breakfast and lunch ready for the kids.

For trusty stuff, couples has a desk with lots of really good offsite excursions. Not all are cheap, but I'd have to say, given then many I have taken while staying at couples, the vast majority are really good fun. A couple years back, we did a river rafting trip while staying at CSS that was the absolute best i have ever been on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearso View Post
    Walk out to the beach, turn left and walk off resort, immerse yourselves in the culture, interact with the locals, stop into the small local bars and jerk shops, have fun...
    Best "free" tour in Jamaica!!! We do this every time we visit CSA! I you in for LONG walk, walk out to the beach and turn RIGHT and walk off resort, past all the resorts, walking gets alittle rought in areas(rocky) but you meat some really interesting folk along the way! About 2 mi walk one way and lead to the Office of Nauture if you care for lobster if in season. Enjoy whatever you do!

We had a great experience by attending Sunday services in Negril. We'll be doing that again when we get back home. Very welcoming and a vibrant service and had some good interaction with the local parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    When are you going to be at CSA? We'll be there 10/5-14. My husband does a jerk tour...quite a great cultural AND culinary experience! He's been going since the '80's...we were married at CSA in April. This will be my 5th trip home! Can't wait!
    What's the jerk tour? My hubby would love that!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
    Hi, we are going October 2 - 9, what is a jerk tour?

Thanks guys, Meeting the locals is exactly what we are looking forward to!

what does the jerk tour include, ie what places do you go to?

Hi Suzi! Coincidentally, my wife and I are going from 10/5-14 also. Maybe we can get together for the jerk tour?
    Scott

For those of you who've asked:

The Jerk Tour is a chance to sample some real Jamaican jerk, not the tourist version (very good, nonetheless) served at the resort. We leave from the south end of the beach at noon. Walk around 2 miles to Bourbon Beach, back to Best In The West, and finish up at Ossie's; just 50 yards from CSA. Bring small mason jars or Wata bottles for sauce, take a Pepcid early that morning, and taste the real Jamaican Jerk.

Bourbon Beach is around 2 miles from CSA. Everyone should bring a bottle of water or two, but there's Red Stripe and Pepsi available all the way up the beach.

Most folks can eat a quarter chicken - drummer and thigh - or share. Bourbon Beach makes very good chicken, but marginal pork (if they have any at all.) They have a great brown sauce and the chef will give anyone 3 or 4 ounces in a small Mason jar. From Bourbon Beach, you walk back north about a mile to CocoLaPalm. Cross through their resort (everyone does it, no problem, mon) and you'll come out to Manley Boulevard. Best In The West is diagonally across the road. Cross carefully. Again, great chicken, probably the best of the three, and standard jerk sauce - Grays and Ketchup - but it's important to get a taste of the sauce used by 90% of the jerk shacks in Jamaica. Continue north on Manly Boulevard about 1/2 a mile and you'll come to Ossie's on the same side(you can see the south lobby of CSA from there - last photo.) Skip the chicken, but load up on the pork and make sure you use plenty of her green sauce! She will also give you 3 or 4 ounces of sauce, if there's any left, but it will cost a few bucks.

For those who want to go back to Ossie's (since it's only 50 yards from CSA) they don't start serving food until 1pm.

This event is not sponsored by or in any way, shape, or form a Couples activity and there's no charge, except for the great food! And for those of you worried about leaving the resort, this is totally safe. Your biggest danger comes from eating too much.

Suzi and I will be at CSA from October 4th through October 13th. If there's a group here that would like to take the tour, I'll be glad to lead it. Best bet is on a Wednesday, but I'm open to suggestions.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

Definitely try the One Love Pub Crawl! This tour stops at several local bars/restaurants in Negril. You only tip the driver as much as you feel he deserves. It lasts several hours, but is definitely worth it! Highly recommend.