Default Stressed about leaving kids

So, we are 3 days away from departure home to CN and I am starting to freak out about leaving the kids. I love, love, love CN but I can't help but be stressed. Please help!

It's always stressful before you leave because you have so much to remember.....packing, instructions, documents, etc.....But just keep doing what you're doing and then you will be able to relax once you're on your way. Your kids will be fine and even have lots of fun while you are gone. They will appreciate you more when you get home and you and your spouse need this great alone time. Have a great trip and just think of the beautiful sea when you are getting stressed. Good luck.

No worries, they need a brief respite from the parents. Went through the same thing when ours was "the little one" She did fine, and had a great time w/ g-parents and so did the g-parents.
    She's now 21 and is bummed that we are going without her! LOL...Sorry kiddo.

Bring back plenty of trinkets and treasure, and we had a scheduled time to call home everyday which also helped.

It'll be OK. I'm sure you have picked excellent providers for them and it's good for kids to have "others" take care of them. Open's their eyes to more of the world around them. Plus, maybe they are ready for you to go.

We left our little one at home with his grandpa when we went to CN in 2005 and he had a great time and so did we, but this time he and his girlfriend are coming with us! Don't feel guilty, just look at it a setting up for a great vacation in the future! When we would leave him home while we traveled we would leave him a surprise a day to open. He would look forward to it and not miss us quite as much.

I can't really help other than to tell you you're not alone- there's a whole thread on tripadvisor on this (might have to look back a page or two).

I am personally leaving an 8yo who will be JUST FINE with grandma and a nine month old who is worrying me. He still breast feeds so I've got pumped milk for him while we're gone but now he's not taking bottles. Poor grandma might not have an easy time of it getting this kid to eat...

Anyways, the thing I keep repeating over and over to myself is that yes, your bond with your kids is important and it is important to be there for them... But your bond with your spouse is just as important and it is important to take time out to recognize and strengthen that. I know for us, as foster parents and parents of our own kids, we don't get that kind of "us" time at all during the regular course of the year (heck, we just spent our anniversary tent camping packed in a tent with all five kids... How romantic! ) so it's important to MAKE time... Even if we have to go all the way to Jamaica to do it. Happy parents equals healthy family and everyone is much better for it!

I usually stress the day I leave, but once I get to Jamaica and start to relax, the quiet time with my hubby is nice. Last time I went my little guy was almost two and we were gone for 10 days. I told myself I wouldn't be able to leave any way so I might as well enjoy myself. The 10 days went quick. Honestly I think the kids enjoy the vaca from mom and dad too Go and have a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by JustBeachy View Post
    I can't really help other than to tell you you're not alone- there's a whole thread on tripadvisor on this (might have to look back a page or two).

I am personally leaving an 8yo who will be JUST FINE with grandma and a nine month old who is worrying me. He still breast feeds so I've got pumped milk for him while we're gone but now he's not taking bottles. Poor grandma might not have an easy time of it getting this kid to eat...

Anyways, the thing I keep repeating over and over to myself is that yes, your bond with your kids is important and it is important to be there for them... But your bond with your spouse is just as important and it is important to take time out to recognize and strengthen that. I know for us, as foster parents and parents of our own kids, we don't get that kind of "us" time at all during the regular course of the year (heck, we just spent our anniversary tent camping packed in a tent with all five kids... How romantic! ) so it's important to MAKE time... Even if we have to go all the way to Jamaica to do it. Happy parents equals healthy family and everyone is much better for it!
    We currently have a 9 month old, who will be about 14 months when we go back to CN for the 4th time. My question is, when you were a little over a year into your first child's life, how hard would it have been to leave for 8 nights? We want to be around him every waking moment, and we're worried we will be distracted the whole time. Any input?
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Our stress is having to leave Couples and go home to the kids.
    Seriously, don't worry about the kids, i'm sure you will leave them in capable care and within a few hours of arriving at Couples you'll forget you have kids...

I can so relate. We leave a month from today and im dreading leaving my 7 yr old. I have three others that are 21, 18, and 15 and im sure they can't wait till we are gone butmy 7 yr old is my baby and I have only been away from him maybe three nights in my life. Im also stressing the commnication issue, what if face time doesn't work, etc. I am an anxious worry wart by nature, I just can't help myself.

Dank120 - I'm still like that with my 4 year old but he has been my only child. We left for 10 days when he was 23 mns, which seems a lot older then 14 mns, but he was still little. I stayed home with him until he was 11 mns ols so was very attached. Leaving for me was the hardest part. I cried the hour drive home after dropping him off with my parents. Once we left though it was easy to relax and enjoy the alone time. I still missed him and called every 2 nights, but was not home sick for him the way I thought I would be.

The first trip Hubby and I ever took out of the country was on a 5 day Cruise to Mexico. It was extremely hard leaving my 3 year old and 10 month old. I called them every day and knowing that they were in the very capable hands of their GG helped a lot. It was very nice having some alone time with hubby. Since having kids I feel into the "mommy" phase and let the "wife" side slide a bit, so the time alone helped hubby and I reconnect as a couple. We have taken a couple more trips (in state) without the kids and I always get sad leaving them but everything always ends up the same... they have a great time with their GG and we have a great time together. Take a deep breath... call them every day and have a Great time!!

dank120, Don't worry about it. Once you get to where you are going and get settled in you will miss your baby, but it won't stress you out. We left our 1st born when she was just 6 months old. She did great and we had a great time reconnecting. Make sure to Skype or Facetime to see your baby every day, but know that without a strong bond between you and your spouse, your family will suffer. Your trip is for the strength of your family. Have fun and good luck.

Couldn't agree more with others, your little ones will be fine. I would encourage all parents to make time for themselves. We had taken an 18 week parenting classes some time ago and the first nine weeks was focused on couple relationship(really its a parenting class). They encouraged occasional couple vacations, bi or weekly couple dates, and a special 30 minutes for you and your spouse to unwind and share daily. It was you first, then little Johnny or Jane whom are much welcome, loved, guest in our family unit. So keep it strong and enjoy each other without the little ones every once in a while. Its the best thing we did for our little family unit. Parents you deserve it, relax and have fun. I will say it was hard the first day or maybe two, after that you will get it. For us 25 years and 4 children later, and so look forward to that special time together(CSSFEB2014).

Everett & Donna.