Default CSS review, returned yesterday

Room - we requested G block for 1-bd suite. The room was great, 2nd floor, nice view of ocean and sunset, big patio where we ate breakfsast twice, big shower (no tub, I don't need), clean, great. I think the next time we will request A or B block. WE are in ok shape but the walk to and from the main beach area and SSB area every day was a bit tiring. Lots of uphill on the way back, especially late at night half drunk.

SSB - we went every day and had a great time. Lovely pool with cave and waterfall, nice swimup bar and great bartender (Veronique). we loved going in the water, clear, and cool due the to river water mixing. Liked the water better than the main beach, laid by the water with chair floats most of the time. Bring water shoes. A couple of locals come near from the adjacent public beach but nothing really to bother about. We were kind of irked about never being able to get one of the few thatched roof shade thingys, people come really early and leave their stuff there, not cool. Plenty loungers to put in the shade of trees though.

The beach party and Starlight gala were terrific, very good food and entertainment.
    We like the food at Casanova a lot, Pallazina was OK.
    Eating lunch on the main beach at the tables by the beach at the beach grill was great. Nice jerk chicken.

Tip - I saw a local boat guy taking a couple around at SSB and asked him to give us a tour the next day. He came at 10am and we went in the wooden boat for 2 hours, all along the coast towards Ocho Rios, getting very colorful commentary all the way from Lipton (like the tea). He was born and raised in the area and apparently knows everyone. We went all the way past Dunns river to the "James Bond Beach", where a water fall comes right into the ocean. STopped and went in the water on a beautiful completely deserted beach. We had agreed on $40 but I gave him $50. We had so much fun I would have given him more if I had it. Total highlight of the trip. He can take you snorkeling or fishing too.

Things to improve_
    - I am an avid pool (billiard) player and saw on the activity list that there were two pool tournaments, so I took my cue. The table is not bad, needs to be refelted, but there are only two horrible old cues( to have a tournament you need cues, people are not going to bring their own), and worst of all, NO CUE CHALK. You cannot play pool or have a pool tournament without cue chalk. I asked, they couldn't get any. So no tournaments, and I couldn't even play by myself because of no chalk. Now obviously this did not ruin our vacation, but for about $500 (refelt table, couple of decent cues, and CHALK), you could have a pool setup worthy of a multimillion dollar resort

Hot tub at SSB. Controls on top did not work. Only an on/off switch on the side that turns on the jets AND the heater. So if you leave the jets on any time, the water gets super hot. The only way to cool it down is turn the jets off.
    Hot tub near Mineral pool. No temperature control, no any controls. Bubbles from bottom always on and jets never on.
    Again, this is not a deal breaker, but doesn't really seem right for a resort as classy as CSS.

Thanks for the review.

Do you know if Lipton gets around to CTI? I did see a guy with a wooden boat with fishing gear just waiting for someone to come up to him. I would like to take him up on it if it is Lipton.

We were kind of irked about never being able to get one of the few thatched roof shade thingys, people come really early and leave their stuff there, not cool. Plenty loungers to put in the shade of trees though.

If they were not there with in 15 minutes of my arrival I would move the stuff and make myself comfortable, no such thing as reservations on palapas, if your not there to use it you loose it, I can understand going off for lunch and leaving behind items but if you come down reserve it and leave for awhile sorry your gonna loose it to me, I will palce your items at the bar or in another lounge. Think its rude? sorry so are you for reserving and not using it.

Quote Originally Posted by columbo View Post
    We were kind of irked about never being able to get one of the few thatched roof shade thingys, people come really early and leave their stuff there, not cool. Plenty loungers to put in the shade of trees though.

If they were not there with in 15 minutes of my arrival I would move the stuff and make myself comfortable, no such thing as reservations on palapas, if your not there to use it you loose it, I can understand going off for lunch and leaving behind items but if you come down reserve it and leave for awhile sorry your gonna loose it to me, I will palce your items at the bar or in another lounge. Think its rude? sorry so are you for reserving and not using it.
    I think I will do that next visit (to any of the resorts). I can understand going to lunch or one of the onsite excursions. So I probably wouldn't do it only after 15 minutes. But I think after an hour to hour and half, it should be fair game. Especially when you see them empty for most of the day. Come on people... be considerate of others. You don't own all the shade/palapas!
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

columbo, I really don't think it is rude to relocate items saving a space for an excessive length of time but it is kinda ballsie. Not sure I have those balls but more power to you. I wish I did.

I would love to know if Lipton makes it to CTI too! Sounds like a great trip!

Oh columbo, I MOST certainly agree with you and feel the exact same way. It is incredibly rude to come over in the morning and just leave your stuff and not return. This did not happen while we were there October 2012, however, we are heading back October 2013 and I will also be one who will move "saved" items.

I'll probably be assailed but my take is that:
    a) reserving a spot hours before intended use is inherently rude to your fellow guests ( are people going to start reserving spots the night before??)
    b) moving someone else's belonging from a spot is also inherently wrong
    I'm not going to even make a judgement as to which is worse but it seems that if people just view the reserving of a spot not through their own myopic view of what's best for themselves- than none of this is an issue. I and I may be viewing things through rose colored glasses always thought one of the great aspects of Couples was the many neswly formed friendships on vacation. Be fair to your fellow travelers and the problem goes away. I guess i also didn't realize how great those spots are so come May 2014- I'll be setting the alarm early- just kidding ( i'm happy w any of the spots there)

Quote Originally Posted by sweetlastname View Post
    I would love to know if Lipton makes it to CTI too! Sounds like a great trip!
    At CTI, they offer a sunset cruise. Last year we had a group of 6 couples and we were taken out by the staff for a late afternoon cruise on the glass bottom boat. I think it costs about $60 per couple but they provided rum punch and beer. They really don't make a big deal of advertising it but all you have to do is go to the watersports desk to set it up. We've made it an annual tradition for the last 4 or 5 years.

oh Squat, I think you went a little overboard. You even sound a little menacing. No one discussed grabbing your space when you stand up. It is incredibly rude and happens at all resorts......some will get up early and claim a space and then do every resort activity there is available for that day while still claiming an unused spot on the beach. EVERYONE needs to be respectful. You even seem to agree that it is rude to claim a spot and then go to Dunns River.......this is what the chat was about.

Default Lipton like the tea

Im not sure if Lipton gets to CTI. The first time I saw him he had a clothed couple in his boat, obviously tourists, and we were at SSB so they weren't from there, main beach at CSS maybe. His boat is green and it say "friendly" or "Friends" or something. Another guy came by when we were by the water right at sunset with a boat full of shells and starfish and stuff. I forgot his name but he said he was the "shell man". We talked to him a while and he seemed really nice. Lipton will have his son, about 15, with him, he has a shaved head and 14 children. Again, going with him was one of the highlights of the whole trip.

We get up early to reserve a spot because we intend to there all day. Yes, we go for breakfast at 7:30 and then go for a walk, yes, we go for lunch, but we're there for the day. It may seem that we aren't there very early in the morning but we're beach people and spend our time ON THE BEACH.

Quote Originally Posted by soglad View Post
    We get up early to reserve a spot because we intend to there all day. Yes, we go for breakfast at 7:30 and then go for a walk, yes, we go for lunch, but we're there for the day. It may seem that we aren't there very early in the morning but we're beach people and spend our time ON THE BEACH.
    I have NO issues with that. It's pretty much what we do but we don't go out and reserve them really early as we like to sleep in a little bit. We don't get down to the beach until after breakfast (around 9am). So we would wait until we headed down there, to bring our stuff. We did learn shortly after that, to drop a towel and book down before we went to breakfast instead (around 7:30am). Had better options on where to sit though the prime places were still all taken up.

What irks me is when the prime spots have been saved and NO ONE shows up until very late in the day to sit in them so they are empty almost all day. What a waste. That is just not right. :-(
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013