Default Dress Code at CSS Cassanova

We just arrived at CSS and we are loving it! but, I did not bring any closed toe shoes because the dress code for Casanova was listed on the Couples website as "Resort Chic" which was no flip-flops. I was told that nice sandals are not closed toe shoes and we can not eat at Casanova. What to you think - go anyway, discuss this with the management, or find some place else to eat? I would like to try all the restaurants while I am here, so I am inclined to just wear my sandals and go - hoping I don't get refused service.

Please let us know how things turn out, I have the same issue. My sandals are very nice just not completely closed toed, but very close.
    With long pants, I really don't think it would be a problem.

Wear your best outfit and go. If anyone says anything, politely explain the situation. I'd be surprised if they still didn't allow you to be seated (or that they would notice your shoes to begin with). If you are still not satisfied, speak with the manager, again politely.

I'd be more concerned that a guest would cause a stink, in which case, I can't offer a suggestion.

I read somewhere her on the boards that the closed toe rule for men was relaxed and you can wear dress sandals, just no type of flip flops either for men or women.

We have seen couples seated on the patio outside Cassanova when not in compliance with the dress code

Amy

When we stayed at CSS in January, we went to Cassanova once. I wore a nice dress and the only fancy shoes I brought - very strappy, very open-toed, high-heeled ballroom dancing shoes. They really tied the outfit together No one said a word to me about my shoes, and I didn't even realize that open-toed shoes were not technically allowed. Good luck and enjoy your stay!

Report from Casanova - we had a wonderful dinner and excellent service - AND not one person looked at my feet - if they did, they did not say anything! We were seated inside - we were dressed very nicely, the only slightly questionable variance was my sandals - and they are very nice sandals. The restaurant and CSS guest relations is publishing that the gentlemen need closed toe shoes - they probably need to make sure that what is on the website is the same as what is listed at the resort - it makes it hard for those of us who feel compelled to adhere to all rules :-) But as they say, No worries, mon!

The closed toe dhoe rule was for men, not sure if its in affect any more.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsOrbspiders View Post
    When we stayed at CSS in January, we went to Cassanova once. I wore a nice dress and the only fancy shoes I brought - very strappy, very open-toed, high-heeled ballroom dancing shoes. They really tied the outfit together No one said a word to me about my shoes, and I didn't even realize that open-toed shoes were not technically allowed. Good luck and enjoy your stay!
    The open toed shoes rule is/was just for the men. Women can wear what they want. The dress code is for the men only.
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

Quote Originally Posted by MrsOrbspiders View Post
    The closed toed shoe rule is for MEN. Ladies are fine with strappy sandals. The whole idea is nobody wants to see your man's toes during dinner in an elegant, semi-formal setting such as Casanova. Just like if you went to an upscale restaurant at home - it would look completely out of place for a man to be wearing sandals in a nice restaurant.

It does pain me to say this but Couples is "dumbing down" the dress code for their top restaurants rather than trying to enforce it. I kind of liked the idea of at least one restaurant at a 5 star resort where people dressed the part. Not suits or anything like that but just nice. Some people tend to forget that when the sun goes down it is not just a beach getaway but a resort. That being said (my opinion only so no replies needed) closed toes shoes are no longer required at any of the resorts top restaurants. Clicking on your resort and then the "Restaurants & Bars" link to the left will give you the simple dress code for each restaurant.
    Here is the one for Casanova: Dress: Resort Chic (no jeans, shorts or flip flops)
    Enjoy.

I agree. It feels very special to dress up to dine at Casanova. We always eat outdoors but my husband still wears close-toed shoes. No jacket, no tie, just a nice short-sleeved shirt and business casual pants. What's worse, frankly, is attending the Friday night "Gala" where the women are dressed up and their partners are in shorts and flip flops. Where's the disconnect?

I would like to some some clarification and consistency on this from the resort. I was this thread before my wife and went to SSB around the second week of June and told my wife to bring some closed toe shoes. She couldn't believe it and gave me a bunch of crap about it, but took some. She wore them to dinner at Casanova and of course most or all the women had nice shoes, but open toed. Then I really got an earfull. Most nice womens shoes ARE open toed. Anyway, live and learn

The dress code for ALL of the nicer restaurants at ALL Jamaican Couples Resorts has been relaxed this year and now allow dress sandals for men. Women could always wear them. Here is the dress code listed on the site for Feathers at CSA which seems to be the strictest, if you can even call it that. Follow this simple set of rules and you can't go wrong. Enjoy...

Dress: Elegant casual. Shirts, slacks and closed-toe shoes or dress sandals for the gentlemen and summer dresses for the ladies. No flip flops, T-shirts, shorts, jeans, sneakers, or hats are allowed. Jacket is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry and Maria View Post
    I would like to some some clarification and consistency on this from the resort. I was this thread before my wife and went to SSB around the second week of June and told my wife to bring some closed toe shoes. She couldn't believe it and gave me a bunch of crap about it, but took some. She wore them to dinner at Casanova and of course most or all the women had nice shoes, but open toed. Then I really got an earfull. Most nice womens shoes ARE open toed. Anyway, live and learn
    As others have previously stated, the "closed-toe shoe" requirement is for the men only, not the women. The women do have a dress-code, though (as opposed to a previous posters comment that the dress code is only for men). The women cannot wear flip flops or shorts. The women are expected to be in a nice dress (short or long) or a nice pantsuit.

Default Ditto

We couldn't agree more !
    Quote Originally Posted by rckbert View Post
    It does pain me to say this but Couples is "dumbing down" the dress code for their top restaurants rather than trying to enforce it. I kind of liked the idea of at least one restaurant at a 5 star resort where people dressed the part. Not suits or anything like that but just nice. Some people tend to forget that when the sun goes down it is not just a beach getaway but a resort. That being said (my opinion only so no replies needed) closed toes shoes are no longer required at any of the resorts top restaurants. Clicking on your resort and then the "Restaurants & Bars" link to the left will give you the simple dress code for each restaurant.
    Here is the one for Casanova: Dress: Resort Chic (no jeans, shorts or flip flops)
    Enjoy.

There have been some comments on the MB regarding a change in paradise. We agree since we first visited Couples 17 years and 19 visits ago, we too have noted some changes. We believe it's the new guests and the effect on management. You never used to see guests complaining and pushing the resort rules. Such as Dress code, reserving loungers, etc; The reason we have returned for many a year is because "17-years ago we found something we liked". We hope Couples sticks to it's policies and never changes!

Quote Originally Posted by soglad View Post
    I agree. It feels very special to dress up to dine at Casanova. We always eat outdoors but my husband still wears close-toed shoes. No jacket, no tie, just a nice short-sleeved shirt and business casual pants. What's worse, frankly, is attending the Friday night "Gala" where the women are dressed up and their partners are in shorts and flip flops. Where's the disconnect?

I wore a nice casual style dress. I somehow forgot my nice sandals so I did wear flip flops but they had rhinestones on them so were a little nicer than the beach type. No problem and no one said a word. I did see another couple in front of us waiting to be seated and they were both wearing more beach like flip flops and capris pants (both were female). They were seated without issue. Seems like the staff doesn't bother looking down to see what your footwear is. I think it would be more obvious if a guy were wearing sandals.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

I have to say that while closed mens shoes are required, I think that if you were to wear a pair of "sandals" that look closed, that should be acceptable, I really can't see how that can be "dumbing down" the dress code. Almost all mens sandals cover most of the feet. and the majority I have seen didn't make me raise an eyebrow. I have seen people go to the cocktail party in their bathing suits, and also wearing shorts, flip flops and printed t shirts. Or my favorite- showing up to the gala dressed like they're going to play basketball. Now that, to me, is more of an issue than sandals.

Casanova is a very nice dining experience. Dress appropriately. And Gala night implies that it's a very special night. Hate to see men show up in flip flops, shorts and Tshirts when their partners are dressed to the nines. Where's the disconnect?

We were there in April this year. Hubby wore men's sandals, long pants, collared shirt, and no one said a word.

I think we're going barefoot for our whole vacation to solve this potential issue.

Also, I'll save tons of space in our luggage by not packing shoes :-)