Default CSA 6/28 to 7/6-The Good and the Bad

Just returned from our 6th trip to CSA (our 9th Couples trip total).

Once again an excellent vacation!

The Good:
    Food and service were fantastic at all the resturants.
    Private dinner on the beach was well worth it (We were cancelled on our anniversary due to weather and had to reschedule-Lemongrass was very gracious in accomadating us for a special anniversary dinner)
    Staff was as friendly as ever. It was nice to see people we remembered from previous trips.
    Beach is beautiful. We were always able to find shade.
    We had an Atrium and loved the room. Everything worked fine (well except for one thing-See the Bad)
    Housekeeping was great-(Seemed to be one day AM, one day PM and alternated) Always had clean towels.
    Bars were well stocked and drinks were plentiful. Martini bar every night before dinner and the bartenders there are fantastic.
    The other guest: We met so many new friends and enjoyed socializing. The people who go to Couples are some of the friendliest people anywhere. We had a blast!
    Can't comment on the pools or swim up bar as we go for the gorgeous beach and never set foot in the pools.
    Aura Lounge with Ultimate-What a blast. Teno is a great addition!
    Steel drums on Wednesay in the Palms are a must do-These kids are very talented and the performance is something to not miss.
    Vendors roaming the beach are not an issue.
    Walk off the resort and down the beach. We enjoed talking with several of the vendors. Even when we made it clear we were not intrested in the product, most we genuinely friendly and enjoyed talking with us.

The Bad:

Well not really bad but Couples needs to step up their game here:

1. Why bother having me pre-register for the mini bar if I just have to fill the card and hang on my door when I get there anyway? Either do it or don't; but an informal poll tells me about 50% of the people it worked for and 50% not so much. This really was not a big deal, but on travel day, having a glass of wine to unwind on our verandah would have been very nice.
    2. Why can't everything be together at check-in. Why do I have to run and track down my Repeater's certificates? Again, not a huge deal but when you are tired and cranky and just want to get to your room, the one extra step can be annoying.
    3. Please, please get some real hairdryers for the rooms!!!! This is a top rated hotel. Hair dryers that actually dry your hair would be nice.

Again, the "bad" is very minor-I realize this. It was just annoying and somewhat frustrating.

We did the One Love Bus Crawl-Everyone should do this! The experience was amazing and I only drank at the first and last bar. I had water at the other 5! You get to expereince some authentic Jamaican hospitality.

We also did the 4x4 Jeep Tour-Highly recommend. And the guide was very informative. We only had 2 other couples so there was no crowd and it was relaxing and easy going.

One other thing I will say-We saw Lee Issa on property several different days during our stay. As the Chairman of Couples, it is great to see how much of a hands on approach he takes. He was very unobtrusive and is very much a gracious gentleman and he took the time to talk with us about our stay.
    We also saw Karen Lanigan, the GM, around daily.
    CSA is one of our favorite Couples properties and it obvious that everyone from the very top on down take an active pride in providing a great experience to the guests.

Thanks for the review, I do have to agree with you about the mini-bar and the check in. Especially the check in. I do not understand why the front desk can't have all of our information regarding Repeater certificates, Early booking credits, etc. The welcome letter and certificates are in our room when we get there or handed to us. Why can't this information be put on our record in the computer system and save us the hassle of having to go back to the front desk and wait in line all over again.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. If they get mad, you will be a mile away and they will be barefoot!

We just got back from a split from CSA & CTI. I have to agree with Cathy_Joe about the mini bar at CSA. Ours were not stocked and when I called the next day I was asked if I put the tag on the the door, I told the girl that I had filled out on-line the pre-check in, therefore why did I need to hang a door tag? There were a couple other issues but what bothered me was that some of the employees tried blaming us instead of taking responsibility. CTI (which is my heart & love) 8 Rivers & the Veranda restaurants need to step up their service. Waiting 2 hours before you get your entree is just too long. We have been to CSA 2 times & CTI 13 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_Joe View Post
    Just returned from our 6th trip to CSA (our 9th Couples trip total).

Once again an excellent vacation!

The Good:
    Food and service were fantastic at all the resturants.
    Private dinner on the beach was well worth it (We were cancelled on our anniversary due to weather and had to reschedule-Lemongrass was very gracious in accomadating us for a special anniversary dinner)
    Staff was as friendly as ever. It was nice to see people we remembered from previous trips.
    Beach is beautiful. We were always able to find shade.
    We had an Atrium and loved the room. Everything worked fine (well except for one thing-See the Bad)
    Housekeeping was great-(Seemed to be one day AM, one day PM and alternated) Always had clean towels.
    Bars were well stocked and drinks were plentiful. Martini bar every night before dinner and the bartenders there are fantastic.
    The other guest: We met so many new friends and enjoyed socializing. The people who go to Couples are some of the friendliest people anywhere. We had a blast!
    Can't comment on the pools or swim up bar as we go for the gorgeous beach and never set foot in the pools.
    Aura Lounge with Ultimate-What a blast. Teno is a great addition!
    Steel drums on Wednesay in the Palms are a must do-These kids are very talented and the performance is something to not miss.
    Vendors roaming the beach are not an issue.
    Walk off the resort and down the beach. We enjoed talking with several of the vendors. Even when we made it clear we were not intrested in the product, most we genuinely friendly and enjoyed talking with us.

The Bad:

Well not really bad but Couples needs to step up their game here:

1. Why bother having me pre-register for the mini bar if I just have to fill the card and hang on my door when I get there anyway? Either do it or don't; but an informal poll tells me about 50% of the people it worked for and 50% not so much. This really was not a big deal, but on travel day, having a glass of wine to unwind on our verandah would have been very nice.
    2. Why can't everything be together at check-in. Why do I have to run and track down my Repeater's certificates? Again, not a huge deal but when you are tired and cranky and just want to get to your room, the one extra step can be annoying.
    3. Please, please get some real hairdryers for the rooms!!!! This is a top rated hotel. Hair dryers that actually dry your hair would be nice.

Again, the "bad" is very minor-I realize this. It was just annoying and somewhat frustrating.

We did the One Love Bus Crawl-Everyone should do this! The experience was amazing and I only drank at the first and last bar. I had water at the other 5! You get to expereince some authentic Jamaican hospitality.

We also did the 4x4 Jeep Tour-Highly recommend. And the guide was very informative. We only had 2 other couples so there was no crowd and it was relaxing and easy going.

One other thing I will say-We saw Lee Issa on property several different days during our stay. As the Chairman of Couples, it is great to see how much of a hands on approach he takes. He was very unobtrusive and is very much a gracious gentleman and he took the time to talk with us about our stay.
    We also saw Karen Lanigan, the GM, around daily.
    CSA is one of our favorite Couples properties and it obvious that everyone from the very top on down take an active pride in providing a great experience to the guests.
    Dianavr

Cathy-Joe... our certificates are right there for us every time we go to CSA (twice a year); pretty sure at check-in! The problem WE have is with tshirts; never what size we ask for, not available at all during our 9 day stay...settling on the last day for something we really didn't want.

Agree re-mini bar; always the same stuff in there when we arrive, and we have to ask for what we want and ask for the other stuff we DON'T want to be removed. No big deal though, as it's quickly taken care of.

Agree on the hair dryers! I have long, thick hair...it usually ends up wet in a pony tail due to frustration

the good far outweighs the bad, though, doesn't it?!

My take on why the mini bar is not set up is they have no idea where, or which room you are staying in. When we went it seemed half the Resort were waiting to change rooms when we got there, so there was no way they were issuing us a room until they had switched everyone else. It was a nightmare check in, not only for the new arrivals but the people who were changing rooms. I saw more than one person in tears of frustration. Not a very good advert if you are a first time visitor I hope this has been resolved when we return in October.

I don't really care about sometimes slow check in, or if there is Red Stripe Or Carib in the mini, my hair is short so the dryers?,the tee shirts shrink so....., but you would think, that, just so people could get a good nights sleep, They would atleast turn down the tree frog recordings after 10:00. Common Man!

What's this changing rooms stuff??

My experience has been that they wait until they know which room you are in before they fill the mini bar, and you still have to hang your request on the door know for the things you want "re-stocked" as you use them. There is a certain amount of regular items they always leave stocked in the mini. Our resort credits have never been a problem so I can's say what is up with that.