Default Safe to leave iPad/ nook on beach

We are leaving for Couples Negril this week and want to know if its safe to leave our iPad and nook on the beach while we get in water and maybe walk a little. I really don't want to pack several books! Thanks!

I use my kindle at CSA and just keep it in the beach bag when we go in the water. I DON'T leave it when we go in to eat, though.

If you leave these (or any) personal items on the beach, realize that you do so at your own risk. The security team is great, but they can't have eyes on everything. I think people sometimes let their guards down a bit too much while on vacay (especially at a Couples resort, which is a bit like an "Adult Disney"). Your best bet is to exercise judgment similar to what you'd do on a beach at home.
    Last edited by gonegril; July 12th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Just to add that in our 9 visits to CSA we've never had anything stolen, but we have had an experience with rude guests removing things from our beach chairs and then taking the chairs - all while we were watching from our floaties in the water! So if you have anything that you don't want to get sandy, you may also want to keep this in mind when bringing your stuff to the beach.

I don't recommend it to anyone, but my wife and I leave ours at our chairs when we get in the water and have for years with no hesitation and no problems ever. If we are going to lunch or for a walk that takes us out of the area we don't leave things of value. If we are walking or going to lunch the electronics go into a little shoulder bag we take with us. Better safe than sorry, but I would feel at least as safe (if not more) leaving things on our chairs at Couples than I would anywhere else in the world but the fact remains it's easy to secure them and not wise to leave unattended.
    Roy in VA

Quote Originally Posted by surbaugh1 View Post
    We are leaving for Couples Negril this week and want to know if its safe to leave our iPad and nook on the beach while we get in water and maybe walk a little. I really don't want to pack several books! Thanks!
    I think it would probably be fine. I might suggest that you put your iPad and/or Nook away in a beach bag or under a towel and not leave them out in plain view. I left my kindle while we went in the water but did put it out of sight. I wouldn't suggest that you leave them unattended for long periods of time though...you just never know!

Would you leave a $200 - $300 piece of electronics out on a beach at home? There is security on the beach, but they can't possibly keep an eye on everything. Personally, my concern would not be so much with the locals, but with my fellow vacationers. If you put 100 people in a room, more than likely one of them will have "sticky fingers." It's just statistics, not slamming anybody. If you do choose to leave it on your beach chair, at least tuck it into a beach bag. I always leave my beach bag on my chair when we go in the water and have not had a problem.

We leave a camera bag and Kindle, but it's in sight as long as I'm not face-down and snorkeling.

Personally, I wouldn't. Yes, probably 95 times out of 100 your ipad and nook would still be there when you get back but do you really want to take that 5% chance that it won't be?

Why would you want to risk the loss? CN sits on a public beach with a family resort on one side. Yes there is security, but they can't have their eyes on everything.

We were at CSA last month and did not have a problem leaving our Kindles on the beach while we went swimming. My wife brought a beach bag and we just put them in there when we got up. I also had a paperback that I would leave on my chair. I wouldn't leave them when you leave for lunch or any extended period of time, but for short swims you should be fine and you will be able to see your stuff anyway.

For reasonable periods of time (not all day), it should be fine. I would highly recommend stashing it covered or in a beach bag of some sort. Out of sight, out of mind ya know. We leave some of our stuff on our lounge chairs at CSA all the time (in a beach bag, under towels) while we walk or float and have had no problems. Since the beach at CN has fewer "wanderers" than CSA I would guess it to be even more secure.

Just use good common sense. Have a great trip!
    See you at the beach!
    dirtleg & sandyfoot

Quote Originally Posted by gonegril View Post
    Just to add that in our 9 visits to CSA we've never had anything stolen, but we have had an experience with rude guests removing things from our beach chairs and then taking the chairs - all while we were watching from our floaties in the water!
    Are you kidding? People taking your chair and moving your stuff while you are in the water?

That will start a fight for me LOL!

A while back someone posted a link to a nylon or kevlar bag that you could lock to the chair (i.e. they would have to walk off with the chair). It seemed like a pretty easy way to secure a few items. I'll try to find a link and post it (unless someone beats me to it).

Here is an example:

Kyss Bags - Keep Your Stuff Safe

Check out Kyss bags, perfect for this situation.

If you are using an IPAD or Android device you can get a motion alarm/anti theft app for your device. A simple password has to be entered to unlock the device and prevent the alarm. Mine is a 3 second delay. Good for in the room or on the beach as it is usually loud enough to grab attention of anyone close by.

I would not leave anything of any value on the beach, I have had flip flops taken from the beach and also out side of the front room door.

While we were at CSS, we went to lunch and took our stuff with us, but the people next to us, did not. While we were gone, someone came and moved their towels to the ground. When those people came back and saw someone had taken their seats, they moved someone else's things. No one was gone more than 45 minutes to an hour. I was surprised to see this as it has never been a problem before.
    Vicky

Quote Originally Posted by rikor View Post
    Are you kidding? People taking your chair and moving your stuff while you are in the water?

That will start a fight for me LOL!
    Yup! It's true....Some people just don't give a hoot and will take whatever they want....