Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default CSA Jerk Tour - October 9, 2013

Anyone interested in spending a long lunch - about 2 hours - and eating jerk with a competition jerk chef? We'll be at CSA from10/4 to 10/13. I usually like to have the tour midweek, so let's shoot for Wednesday, October 9th. If anyone is interested, leave a reply here. It's free except for what you eat and drink, and when we're done, you'll be stuffed with both food and jerk knowledge. If we get a group together, I can bring some samples of my Jamaican jerk rub. The original recipe, which I still follow, was given to me in Boston Bay on my first trip to what was then called Couples Jamaica, in 1985.

Here are the details of the jerk tour:

The Jerk Tour is a chance to sample some real Jamaican jerk, not the tourist version (very good, nonetheless) served at the resort. We leave from the south end of the beach at noon. Walk around 2 miles to Bourbon Beach, back to Best In The West, and finish up at Ossie's; just 50 yards from CSA. Bring small mason jars or empty Wata bottles for sauce, take a Pepcid early that morning, and taste the real Jamaican Jerk.

Bourbon Beach is around 2 miles from CSA. Everyone should bring a bottle of water or two, but there's Red Stripe and Pepsi available all the way up the beach.

Most folks can eat a quarter chicken - drummer and thigh - or share. Bourbon Beach makes very good chicken, but marginal pork (if they have any at all.) They have a great brown sauce and the chef will give anyone 3 or 4 ounces in a small Mason jar. From Bourbon Beach, you walk back north about a mile to CocoLaPalm. Cross through their resort (everyone does it, no problem, mon) and you'll come out to Manley Boulevard. Best In The West is diagonally across the road. Cross carefully. Again, great chicken, probably the best of the three, and standard jerk sauce - Grays and Ketchup - but it's important to get a taste of the sauce used by 90% of the jerk shacks in Jamaica. Continue north on Manly Boulevard about 1/2 a mile and you'll come to Ossie's on the same side (you can see the south lobby of CSA from there.) Skip the chicken, but load up on the pork and make sure you use plenty of her green sauce! She will also sell you 3 or 4 ounces of sauce, if there's any left, but it will cost a few bucks.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida
    (just a 75 minute plane flight from paradise)

This sounds exactly like something we would do, too bad you aren't going in December cause we would be in for sure. Matt loves Best in the West. I like really spicy jerk sauce and I haven't been able to find anything that can compare to the spicy jerk sauce at 3 Dives omg, I was in love. Have fun guys wish we could come with.

That sounds like fun. We'll be at CSA from the 5th to the 14th, I'll see if I can convince my wife to do it (she doesn't like spicy food).

I have been wanting to check out Bourbon Beach. We'll be at CSA from 10-4 to 10-12 but I don't like to schedule anything because I normally end up cancelling because I'm so relaxed on the beach. Thanks for all the info on what you do during your Jerk Tour. We'll see you at CSA in 2 and a half months! Yay!!!

Would love to do the tour but we will be there Oct 15-23

Quote Originally Posted by jaj111 View Post
    Would love to do the tour but we will be there Oct 15-23
    You can do it on your own. Just follow the tour outline in this thread. Have no fear of walking the beach by yourself and you can't get lost, no matter how hard you try. If nothing else, Ossie's is just 50 yards up the road.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

I'll bring some samples of my Boca Boys Island Style Jamaican Jerk Rub for all who show up. If you can't make it and would like the recipe:

Boca Boys Jerk Rub Recipe - use this on anything you want to jerk, even fish!
    ======
    4 tablespoons Ground allspice
    4 tablespoons Dried thyme
    2 tablespoons Ground Scotch Bonnet Pepper
    2 tablespoons Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Ground sage
    1 tablespoon Ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons Garlic powder
    4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 cup dried Chives
    1 cup dried Onion

The finer you grind it, the more flavor will be absorbed by the meat.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

I got 2 jars from Ossies in May of this year. 1 brown and 1 green. Still eating it at home on occasion. Oh my goodness I love the stuff. Can't wait to go back next year and replentish my stash. I have to hide it from friends because they will wipe it out.

Would love to go, however we are departing on October 9th (2-9)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob & Helena View Post
    Would love to go, however we are departing on October 9th (2-9)
    The 9th is not carved in stone. We can go on the 7th or the 8th if there's enough folks interested in taking the tour.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

Hi, that will be our last day....I will ask my new hubby if he would like to do it, sounds fun ...we get married on the beach on 2nd oct ....we arrive on 26th sept till 10th oct !

Everything you need to know is in this thread. Enjoy.
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

Stashman...let your wife know she can join me at the spa while you guys go burn your lungs Suzi aka Mrs. Fawnridge

Hi Fawnridge,

You may have already been there, but I would suggest a short cab ride up into Redground (the hill behind the Negril Traffic circle) to visit Red Dragon for their Jerk pork. As a big a lover of Jerk as you seem to be, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

It is a little off the well worn tourist path, but they won't be too surprised to see you either. It's a local's bar and they make pork everyday. They sell no other food, just the jerk pork. No sides, no bread, no sauce, no silverware, no plate... You'll just get it in a foil package. Eat it. It is the best I've had, and the Redstripe is always ice cold!

We get it twice each trip. The first time we hang out in the bar and drink beer for the afternoon. We normally do this on Monday afternoons, as a lot of US ex-pats gather up there that day. The second time we normally just drive by and get the pork and then bring it back to CSA. We then get veggies for sides and eat it at Seagrapes. That normally get's us lots of (positive) attention from the Seagrapes staff and starts a lot of good conversations about food.

Please believe me that the Red Dragon will be sold of pork out normally by 3PM. We try to get there around 1PM.

They would probably be OK with US $ there, but I always change $ to Jamaican before I go.

A lot of times the cab drivers won't know the name "Red Dragon" and know the place by it's older name "Raggabone's". The official name is "Raggabone's Red Dragon". I think they added the "Red Dragon" more than a few years ago....

My suspicions are that the cab drivers all know the "Red Dragon". They just act like they don't to find out if I know what I'm talking about. If I then call it "Raggabone's" they then assume that yes, I do indeed know where it is I'm going. Someone coming out of CSA asking for a charter up to a place in Redground is probably a bit of an oddity.

The price of the pork, and the beers is a bit of a moving target. It get's get a little cheaper every time I go back, now that they remember me.

DISCLAIMER: the Red Dragon is NOT for everyone. It's would be kind to say that the outer appearance of the Red Dragon is not very impressive.

I have been always treated wonderfully and felt perfectly safe at Red Dragon, but I'm extra careful to mind my manners and give respect while I'm in there. A few tourists may find their way there, but it is not a "tourist" place.

Guys, count us in

Quote Originally Posted by Rob & Helena View Post
    Guys, count us in
    October 7th or 8th?
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

Looks like Monday, October 7th might be a better choice for a jerk tour. Does that work?
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

We will be at CN during this time and this sounds very interesting. Is the date nailed down, so we could do our trading places day and join this?

Thanks,
    Mike

This sounds awesome and we will actually be there at that time - I really want to do it, but I wonder if I spend the afternoon eating jerk, will I still have room for the repeaters dinner? I don't want to be a "jerk" (no pun intended), but is the 7th set in stone?

Quote Originally Posted by ShalomS View Post
    This sounds awesome and we will actually be there at that time - I really want to do it, but I wonder if I spend the afternoon eating jerk, will I still have room for the repeaters dinner? I don't want to be a "jerk" (no pun intended), but is the 7th set in stone?
    At this point, yes. We leave in 14 days. Hopefully, we'll see you!
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

Thanks Suzi and Ricky. It sounds awesome and I know you are doing this for the joy of doing it... I have always wanted my husband to try real jerk and never know where to go, so it's all good.

You are right on the portions at the repeater's dinner - I still love the atmosphere and the opportunity to make "comments" to certain members of the staff in a relaxed conversation.

Regardless - we will see you at high noon at Barry's Bar sign on the 7th. I can't wait.

Ok...we will be arriving on the 5th but I just cannot committ...but come Monday...I will find you in the lobby before you take off if Sand Gravity doesn't take over to bad.

I'm going to be waiting at the "Barry's Bar" sign on the beach at high noon on Monday, October 7th. All are welcome. Just so it's easy to spot me, I'll be wearing a Florida BBQ Association t-shirt. (Suzi asked to add that I'll also have on a bathing suit and flip flops. Can't walk the beach in just a t-shirt!)
    Ricky Ginsburg
    Boca Raton, Florida

I'll definitely come over and say hello Fawnridge! I feel like I know you through these boards, but would love to actaully meet you. Vacation is right around the corner. Yay!

I will try and make it - Barry's Bar sign is at the south end of the property?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast