Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This almost exactly for us, except on the Ocho side of the island. I travel a ton, that week is for vacation.

Two trips, one to CN and another to CSS, neither one did we leave the resort's accommodations. Our third trip will be back at CN. We may decide to venture out, but which excursion is the best?

I think it depends on your intent for the vacation. When hubby and I were at CTI last time we just wanted to relax and so we didn't do any touring. It was what our souls needed at the time. Now, the trip before that we did the falls, horseback riding and toured the coffee plantation. That was fine too!~ Just let your "American" ideals go!!! When on vacation, feel free to go with da flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodbridgeata View Post
    I head off to Scotchee's! have a nice long lunch and mingle with the locals under the Seagrape trees!With a few Red stripes of course!
    How is the best way to go to Scotchee's form CSA?? I would love to try it!

Quote Originally Posted by kelliobrn View Post
    How is the best way to go to Scotchee's form CSA?? I would love to try it!
    Book one of the Ocho Rios resorts.

We always go off resort at least once during every trip! It's fun to meet new people and explore the island!

Only left once in five trips, and then just for an hour or so. I'm there for the fantasy. Spent most of my youth working in tourism and now that I'm on the other side I like to respect the roles/boundaries just like we and our customers did then.

Quote Originally Posted by mattnsharon View Post
    Only left once in five trips, and then just for an hour or so. I'm there for the fantasy. Spent most of my youth working in tourism and now that I'm on the other side I like to respect the roles/boundaries just like we and our customers did then.
    What does this mean? Out of "respect" you won't leave the boundaries of the resort? Or am I misunderstanding you?

I would also like to know what you meant by this statement.

It means when I was working tourism, we didn't really enjoy the summer folks wandering too far afield and filling up "our" spots. After work we stayed out of the tourist joints and appreciated it when we could enjoy some downtime away from the crowds. There were always some people that wanted a "more authentic" experience and would want to hang out off the beaten path and try to be part of the group.

Tourism was almost like show business - when you're on, you're ON and it doesn't matter what kind of night you had, what's wrong with your car, or who's sick at home. It's time to smile! You're getting paid to give the people what they came for. After work though you need to get away and relax so you can do it again tomorrow.

It means when I was working tourism, we didn't really enjoy the summer folks wandering too far afield and filling up "our" spots. After work we stayed out of the tourist joints and appreciated it when we could enjoy some downtime away from the crowds. There were always some people that wanted a "more authentic" experience and would want to hang out off the beaten path and try to be part of the group.

Tourism was almost like show business - when you're on, you're ON and it doesn't matter what kind of night you had, what's wrong with your car, or who's sick at home. It's time to smile! You're getting paid to give the people what they came for. After work though you need to get away and relax so you can do it again tomorrow.
    I'm sure the owners and employees of the local bars and eateries would disagree mightily with this statement. There is absolutely nothing "disrespectful" about getting off the resort and exploring the local scene. In fact, I absolutely consider it as a sign of respect when people are willing to help out the local economy by spending a few dollars off the resort.

Wev have been off the resort on all our trips to CN and now CSS.

One of the many things we love about Jamaica is how much people want to share their culture with you. We've been told by several people that if you don't leave the resort you haven't really been to Jamaica. We went on the One Love Bus Pup Crawl last year, our first stop was someone's backyard, for sure not someplace you would find on your own. It was a wonderful time and the locals that we met were all friendly and open to us being there. There is no right or wrong way to spend your vacation, but there is nothing disrespectful about leaving the resort.

My wife and I love the ocean but live in a city (Toronto) where there is no ocean. While we do have lakes they are ice cold compared to the south even in the summer. Because of that we choose to mostly stay on the resort when at an AI so that we can make the most of every moment we have to enjoy the warm Caribbean waters.

I guess we just aren't that adventerous. For us there is nothing better than lazing at an AI, sitting on the beach and drinking tropical drinks all day long. On our last cruise all of our "excursions" off the ship involved going to beaches. It made us really realize that what we REALLY just want is to be on the beach period for as long as we possibly can ... it's not the accomodations that draw us, it's the fresh food and the beach. That's the main reason we don't really plan on doing many off site excursions when at Couples Negril. For us the AI resort will provide everything we could possibly want.

With that said I do plan on visiting Office of Nature and at least doing a stop at Rick's Cafe. We also look forward to trading places one day at Couples Swept Away and maybe walking down the beach there.

We took the One Love bus to quite a few "local" bars. As Lenbert explained, these bars would have had to close suring low season and many would be in danger of closing permanently. They(the bar owners) were quite happy to have our tourism dollars off the beaten track as this meant they could keep their business and feed their families.

Sort of on topic; My understanding is that CN is a reasonably short walk from CSA. If we did walk the beach, and end up at CN; can we get a drink, and perhaps lunch lunch.

"real Jamaica" is not a few spots in the resort town of Negril. Maybe its in the schools, at the jobs, commuting home and the everyday life that is the pleasures and struggles of Jamaicans. Kudos to those whose charities fund services on the island.

I have traveled to 22 countries and in some places I have ventured on my own and others with guides. Some even armed!
    I have no problem driving on either side of the road and even off it! Its not why I come to jamaica.

In two weeks I am off to ST kitts for a week and we'll be all over the island as we are not staying in an all inclusive as I have done on some islands. Naturally common sense takes priority to ones safety. All places have "Stories" of being unsafe. We'll hike up the volcano mountain to 3500 feet, do zip line, and rent a car. we love beach shack restaurants! Three weeks after that trip we are coming to CSA for 7 nites. I realize not everyone can do this but its our way of breaking up our vacation into different types. I can't stay in an all inclusive for more than a week. I get restless!

Im not coming to an all inclusive so I can brag about being with "Real Jamaica" experience because I go to few restaurants, bars, and supermarket. I go becuase I want to chill out. while we will do the pub crawl and perhaps walk down the beach im not really ever going to experience "real Jamaica". Im coming to experience a resort. "Real Jamaica" is like any other "Real" place. Gifts shops in resort towns is not real.

Good for those who do venture out and get a taste of adventure. I might say that in the future forget the all inclusive and get out in the world! There is so much to see and experience. 78 trips to Couples? WOW!!!

To each his own! Nothing wrong with doing what you want! I guess we can all define what is "Real"! Im going to get "really" chill!

Part of that walk will be on the road, to get around some private properties that have very little or no beach, as well as through some of the AN areas of a few of the Rutland Point properties.

Once at CN, there would need to be some way of proving that your are SweptAway guests. My recommendation, utilize the Changing Places service and take the bus.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Unless you cut through a resort, or go out on the road, you can't walk the beach from Couples Negril to Couples Swept Away. While they call it 7 mile beach, it is actually 2 bays with one beach about 5 miles long (Couples Swept Away) and the other portion about 2 miles long (Couples Negril) separated by a peninsula of land. You could walk the road down to it I'm guess it's a couple of miles. We stay in both and it's a short ride between the two. I think the only way would be to do a Trading Places to get a drink, but I am not certain about that. It is Good Mon!

Can't walk the beach and get to CN from CSA. You need to walk the road. Best to do the trading places so you are on the list to be there. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by acranger View Post
    Sort of on topic; My understanding is that CN is a reasonably short walk from CSA. If we did walk the beach, and end up at CN; can we get a drink, and perhaps lunch lunch.
    YOu have to go around the rocky peninsula that is Hedonism and its not walkable.

Pull up a map. Im sure there is a way around it but not via the beach.

Absolutely, first trip we did a few times, one of them on our own to the Nine Mile and next trip we are doing the same to the Bob Marley Museum which is in Kingston and then Bath Fountain. Nice day trip, just hire a taxi for the day and go!

Quote Originally Posted by Bargamon View Post
    YOu have to go around the rocky peninsula that is Hedonism and its not walkable.

Pull up a map. Im sure there is a way around it but not via the beach.
    .....Thanks all for the replies. Was thinking a nice walk up the beach. Guess we'll scrap that idea.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2