Default What to bring for the kids?

Yesturday we booked our trip to Couples Negril, but I have to wait till April2010 to go...The joys of having a husband in the snowplowing business... We have traveled to the Dominican and I have always brought school supplies, skipping ropes, baseball gloves and balls etc.. This being our first trip to Jamaica I was wondering what is really needed for the kids in Jamaica that I could bring along. Besides the usual school supplies, what else could they use or want...

If anyone who has already been there let me know that would be great

Stacey

Stacey, perhaps you did not know but, Couples Negril does NOT allow children.

I can't help with what to bring. I haven't been to Couples before. From reading prior tips I bought clearance summer clothes for babies/kids and asked my Mom to make some lightweight baby blankets.
    Your post caught my eye because I totally understand not being able to go in the winter. We can't go until July because Grandma and Grandpa go to Arizona for the winter. Since they babysit the girls for us we can't in the winter. boo. It really would be nice to trade Wisconsin for Jamaica in January but.... Oh well, at least we get to go!

Quote Originally Posted by tomg View Post
    Read closer...

School supplies are the most common.

:lol:

Tomg, I think you mis-understood Stacey, she is asking what to bring for the native children in the area, like local schools and churchs. Not what to bring for her childern.

I know fom experience that anything that you would like to bring is greatly appreciated. A couple of years ago I was talking to one of the staff members and she was saying that her little girl loved anything with Dora the Explorer on it. To be honest I think that children are the same around the world whether they live in the richest country or the poorest. In addition to school supplies, I am sure that could use toys of all kinds.

And welcome to the Couples family. Having been to the DR, I am pretty sure that you will love, love, love Jamaica.

How do you distribute them to staff? Give them to front desk? Leave them for staff members in the room to say thanks- all at once or a little every day so they have a fun week too?

Quote Originally Posted by terri565 View Post
    How do you distribute them to staff? Give them to front desk? Leave them for staff members in the room to say thanks- all at once or a little every day so they have a fun week too?
    Here is an answer form another thread a while back. This is what we are going to do with the school supplis we are taking to Negril in January.

kimarob
    school supplies
    Hello there! Art and Francine are correct. We met Maurine Miller at Couples Negril. She has been terrific in helping me get the school supplies and candy and of course toothbrushes and paste to the children. We wanted a school with younger children because of all the things our friends gave us to take. Maurine probably could direct you to another school if you wanted to see older children. We go to the Ironshore Kindergarden in Negril. Next year we are going to take seed packets so the kids can plant a garden at the school!! We also donated cash to each of the four classes so they could buy some things that they needed. We had to go first class because with all the donations we had 3 suitcases just for the kids!! Do you feel sorry for me?? LOL. Thank you for donating to a very worthy cause!!! Kim Robinson
    [
    CN 2006, CSS 2009, CN 2009, CN 2010, CTI 2010, CN 2011, CSS 2012, CN 2012, CN 2013, CSA 2014, CN 2014, CSA 2015, CN 2015

We bring the stuff you mentioned and give it to the hotel GM for distribution through a school or church.

You cant go wrong with school supplies, jump ropes, crok shoes, baseball hats, colorful hair bows and ties, etc...

Enjoy

Soon come

2N2FUN

I believe they are talking about the local kids.

Default Kids

Sorry, how short sighted and selfish of me to not realize someone trying to do a good thing.

What a GREAT idea!!!!

Sorry, how short sighted and selfish of me to not realize someone trying to do a good thing.

What a GREAT idea!!!!
    Nothing like that at all. After being on the Internet for a while, it's hard to fathom there are people that care, and people that love posting on message boards. I think all of them reside here.

For sporting goods, soccer is king with the kids... a deflated ball or two takes up very little room in your luggage. Also, bringing lightly used books from your children's library, as well as school supplies, is very appreciated; these can be left at the front desk... each resort has an adopted local school.

The neat thing about this is that the room that is made in your luggage when these are removed provide you with souvinier space on the way home.

If you decide to travel light, you can still help the local kids with a quick trip into Negril (or Ochie) to purchase school supplies, etc. This gives you another opportunity to help the local economy, as well.
    Chris

"In an abundance of water, the fool is thirsty..." - Bob Marley - "Rat Race"

Chris, can you get school supplies and sporting goods at the shopping area near the HI-LO?

Randy

Sue and Randy
    School Supplies cost more there, and the selection is limited. Stores like Staples and Office Max are cheaper and you can buy much more.

Does anyone know who at CTI to give the Childrens items to? I usually give them to the workers as I get to know them through the week and find out who has children but if there is an organized way that would be great.

Default PaulnStacey- School supplies

Hello. It's Kim Robinson. I just received you e-mail. I tried to send you one back, but my e-mail is not working. I will try to have it working soon!! I do have Maurine's e-mail but I don't know if I should put it on the message board! You can do everything that you asked me. Customs was not a problem and my husband told them that 3 of our suitcases were donations to one of the local schools. Can't take him any where!! LOL Kim Robinson

When you say "school supplies", are you talking crayons, markers, etc.? Or is something as simple as paper, needed? I work for a paper company, so I can buy some old inventory for pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if I have room/weight to bring more than a couple reams of paper.. would that even be wanted? I'm sure large paper of various colors would be appreciated, but that would be difficult to pack, so let me know if standard sized 8.5 x 11 paper is something that they would use. I can get thicker stuff and with various finishes on it, I think I have some vellum style paper sitting around in a carton at home. It's really nice stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by kimarob View Post
    Hello. It's Kim Robinson. I just received you e-mail. I tried to send you one back, but my e-mail is not working. I will try to have it working soon!! I do have Maurine's e-mail but I don't know if I should put it on the message board! You can do everything that you asked me. Customs was not a problem and my husband told them that 3 of our suitcases were donations to one of the local schools. Can't take him any where!! LOL Kim Robinson
    Thank you for your reply, And answereing all the questions that I had, my biggest worry was the Customs, I had read alot of times they can hassel you and others they let you through without any problems. I guess its all in who you get. I know that I do have alot of supplies as well as other items.. Again thank you for your informations it has been very helpful. I will let you know how I make out but it isn't until April 2010

bump... still looking for an answer regarding if they have any need for paper. Also, my dentist offered a couple boxes of toothpaste, is that needed?

If I recall, all personal hygene supplies are expenseive down there, so they probably could use anything your dentist wants to send. He might want to contact the ISSA foundation, and they would be able to help him with that contribution.
    Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Barren View Post
    bump... still looking for an answer regarding if they have any need for paper. Also, my dentist offered a couple boxes of toothpaste, is that needed?
    Our dentist has also offered to send the same with us, I found a lady through the Jamaica website that can help you with finding a school or place that is in much need of the supplies, whethere it be supplies for school or personal items. I do know that she was saying that paper both writing paper and construction paper are both hard to come by because of its cost. She was saying that anything that is brought is greatly appreciated. It doesn't matter if it is a box full or a box half empty. They are greatful for it all.. As well I cound on a google search items that are needed for each acge group. I am on the computer at work so when I get home and look it up I will post that information for you..

When are you going to Jamaica? We have arranged for a taxi to bring us to the school and bring our supplies. We live in an area of Ontario, Canada where they bring Jamaicans in to pick apples, they stay with the apple growers year after year. We have arranged it through one of his pickers that lives in the Negril area.. He has been coming to our area for over 10 years, and will be in Negril around the same time we will be... April2010.. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with

It sounded to me like I can just leave the items at the front desk and they will handle getting them to the schools. I hope that is the setup, cause I will make some room for some paper and the boxes of toothpaste from my dentist.

I already have a couple cartons of nice paper at home, I'll just pack whatever I can stuff into my suitcase!