Default Included Golf at CSS

Just wondering if anyone has made use of the inlcuded golf that comes with a vacation at CSS? I try and golf once per week during the summer at home and my wife is an occasional golfer. Would we enjoy the course at Ocho Rios? Any information that is provided would be much appreciated!

Gary

43 days to paradise!

Default Golf

Quote Originally Posted by ExcitedPeggers View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has made use of the inlcuded golf that comes with a vacation at CSS? I try and golf once per week during the summer at home and my wife is an occasional golfer. Would we enjoy the course at Ocho Rios? Any information that is provided would be much appreciated!

Gary

43 days to paradise!
    EZLinks.com

Play the Rose Hall Course
    Witch is the Best
    Discount Tee times
    EZlinks.com

CSS & CTI complimentary access to Upton GC now Sandals golf course. air-conditioned bus picks you up at 8am and takes you back to the resort at 1pm. All green fees and transportation are complimentary. Private golf lessons with an experienced pro are available at golf courses, for an additional fee. Please be aware that in Jamaica caddies are mandatory, Fee and tipping $1 hole customary.
    We recommend that guests make a reservation one day in advance.
    Unlimited golf includes greens fees and transfers to
    UPTON GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB *NOW SANDALS
    For guests of Couples Tower Isle and Couples Sans Souci, the Upton Golf & Country Club is a golfer’s dream come true. Built in 1951 as a 9 hole course by PK Saunders, the 18-hole par-71 course stretches out over rolling hills of Bermuda grass with striking views of the aqua blue Caribbean and the lush mountain landscape. All of the greens have been recently resurfaced with Tifdwarf Bermuda grass.
    Precision is the name of the game on this course. Even without major forced carries and few fairway bunkers, ten holes are flanked by out-of-bounds stakes making each shot a thrilling exercise of skill. Narrow fairways and small drop-off greens add a further level of challenge.
    The course rating and slope is as follows:
    Blue tees 70.90 rating and 128 slope at 6,404 yards
    White tees 69.90 rating and 125 slope at 6,054 yards
    Red tees 69.30 rating and 120 slope at 4,961 yards

RENTAL & CADDY FEES:
    $20.00 per caddy for 18 holes walking; $15.00 per caddy for 9 holes walking
    $30.00 per caddy for 18 holes on shared cart;
    $20.00 per caddy for 9 holes on shared cart
    Golf Carts: $40.00 per cart for 18 holes; $25.00 for 9 holes
    Taylor Made Clubs: $60.00 for 18 holes or $35.00 for 9 holes for ladies and gents, left and right-handed clubs
    Adidas Shoes: $16.00, including socks
    Please note that the Upton Golf & Country Club only accepts credit/debit cards for payment.

I have never played the Upton GC
    Can some one give a review ?
    Are these fee Correct ?
    I have played NHGC several times and did enjoy it, conditions were dry, they need a new irrigation system. The layout or routing is a little funky at times and there are a few gimmick holes and with the hard pan areas the ball will run thru fairways off 1st cut is dry dirt hard ground. But course also has some really nice holes that present a good challenge with change in elevation, lots of water hazards and plenty of places to lose balls, if you are going to play golf there and rent clubs you should bring balls, tees and a glove, very expensive in pro shop, there are also kids that collect lost balls and sell them on the side of the course. As far as unlimited golf in Negril the bus runs 2x a day 8am and 1pm - please check if changed
    Bus Goes from CN 2 minutes to CSA then to course 10 minutes not many people on bus
    At GC they ask if you are a single or with someone
    As a single they charge you a caddy fee $14 cart fee $40
    the caddy drives the cart gets a $1 / hole tip or minimum $20 = $74 + another $5 or $10 for drinks for you and the caddy from the cart girl, I also tip the bus driver a few singles for handling and stowing my golf bag. Once you pay the cashier they get you right out some on front 9 some on back 9.
    The caddies are very nice people both M&F, they know the course and can really help you read the slope of the greens
    Some are very good golfers (Brian)and will give you a match even bet a few bucks for fun, let them know and they will bring their own equipment or just play along with you or help with your game. I think it take about 3 hours to go around most I ever waited after was 20 minutes for a 2 Baller to finish and maybe another 10 for the bus.
    I think the cost for 2 sharing the $40 cart
    $14 / golfer caddy fee + $20 tip / golfer = $54 each
    Can some one confirm this ?

Other Golf Options
    Teeoff.com
    Offers discount Tee times at
    the Rose Hall Courses
    You will drive by these courses on the way to Ocho Rios
    The 1st course on right is the Ironshore - never played it
    2nd course on right is The Half Moon Course discount $75 cart inc. + $15 caddy fee + $20 caddy tip = $110
    Robert Trent Jones design - that should alone make you want to play it, beautiful palm tree lined course
    Great course to walk early morning
    The entrance to the White Witch course is on the property of Rose Hall you can not see the course from the road. located up on the mountain, great layout, Tee shots are awesome. If you like to bomb drives off the side of the mountain? You'll love it here.
    Discount $87 cart inc + $15+$20 =$122
    Cinnamon Hill is the next course you will see, the front 9 takes you thru a tunnel under the road way and down to the sea, the back 9 takes you up the mountain, similar to Witch course and several holes back each other.
    Routing back down the mountain are again, some great driving holes.
    Take a extra ball and climb up to the championship tees - I'm not sure the hole 14? but you'll know it when you see it - it's worth taking a wack at it - you'll probably lose the ball, I did.
    Discount $53 cart inc +$15+20=$83
    These are all great courses.
    The problem is getting there.
    I called Couples asked if I could hitch a ride on the airport shuttle bus and whoever answered gave me a very strong NO. Wow I thought this was Jamaica where everything is no problem.....Mon!

Quote Originally Posted by UGLYBOY View Post
    Other Golf Options

I called Couples asked if I could hitch a ride on the airport shuttle bus and whoever answered gave me a very strong NO. Wow I thought this was Jamaica where everything is no problem.....Mon!
    The included shuttle is for resort transfers; it's really that simple.

Really ?
    That "Simple"
    True, the Included Shuttle provided by the AI (All Inclusive) resort is used for Airport transfers, it is also used for side trips: Dunns river falls, golf courses, shopping, margaritaville, transfers between Couples hotels for guest and employees
    and if you're doing a split stay at a non-couples hotel they will fetch you and bring you to Couples.
    With all the shuttles going back and forth to the airport and the THOUSANDS of $$$$ spent on a vacation, you want hear "Yes Mr. Uggliboi" "No Problem Mr. Uggliboi" "We'll drop you off, call when your finished and we'll send the next available shuttle" "Very Simple Mr. Uggiyboi" "No Problem"
    A bonus for the guest on the shuttle would be if the golfer was playing the White Witch Course they would get a chance to see the Witches House
    and at the top of the hill golf house be rewarded with an outstanding scenic overview.
    I would even recommend guest arriving stop here for a "proper cocktail on the Veranda" instead of the roadside redstripe raga gaga.
    Couples, a 5 Star resort should upgrade their *Unlimited* Golf program to include more or all of the courses in Jamaica. For advid golfers to be simply limited to one mediocre course for thier vacation is not the most desirable situation.
    Especially when other option are available.
    Maybe Couples should offer an upgraded golf package.

UGLYBOY
    I’m sorry, but it is not as simple.
    Insurance and liability comes to mind. We hire outside company to provide airport transfers and per contractual obligations they can only transfer guest that check in / check out on that day between airport and hotel only.

And while it seems so simple to make “just a small detour”, imagine now 10 people showing up at the reception and expecting a little stop here and a little stop there – before we know we will be running a complimentary taxi service (and would never made to the airport on time or to other areas where we already transport you as part of the inclusions).

Thank you for suggesting “upgraded golf package” where you can save on taxi/green fees to other courses. I will mention it at our next meeting. Personally, I have no data how many of our guests could be interested.

I hope you understand our position. It will be our pleasure to assist with your golfing activities.
    Irie i
    Ivonna Szelerska
    Couples Resorts

We have played the Sandals/Upton course every year we have been at CSS except the second year when the course was Runaway Bay. That course was a much longer bus ride, and a flatter course that was not as nice. We like the Upton course, it may not be nice as a few others, but we like the elevation changes, the challenge with the small greens, and the setting is beautiful. The staff there, as well as the caddies, have been great, and they really know the course. The course has always been in very nice condition as well. Would we consider an "upgraded" golf package? Perhaps. The only down side would be the almost 1.5 hour ride from CSS to most of the courses you mention. For the right courses, we probably would participate, but we do ok just playing the Upton course, which we do 3 or 4 rounds per trip!

Todd & Gwyne from MN/TX