Default Sunset Beach at CSS info

The only thing my husband and I find lacking at the CN nude beach is that there is not a pool there. We know others think there is not enough privacy at he CN nude beach, but we have found that not to be a problem in the least. In any case we are planning to eventually try CSS for the nude pool area they have. Our hesitation is the quality of the beach there. Can anyone give an objective (keeping your love and loyalty for either place out of it... ) compare the two beaches?

The sand?
    How comfortable to be barefoot in and out of the water?
    Nice white sandy bottom in the water without too much vegetation?
    Clear water?

We in no way expect Sunset beach to have as nice a beach as CN, the north coast is just different. Our expectations are realistic as we have vacationed on the north coast many times and are aware that the beaches are nicer in Negril But what we would like to know is how much different it is. If anyone has any photographs they can share of the water and beach (obviously taken when no one was there) that we could see we would really appreciate that.
    Thanks for your time!
    N

The beaches on the two sides of Jamaica are very different. Negril area has white sandy beaches where as the Ocho Rios area had the more tan colored sandy beaches. Here are some photos I have taken of the beach and area at SSB.

Looking out from the pool area

Looking back at the pool area across the beach

Sunrise at the pool

Massage Hut
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos
    Admin - Couples Resorts Photos - flickr group
    Admin - facebook/CouplesResortsJamaica

CSS: 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013

We returned from CSS this weekend and I have not been to CN, CSA etc so I can only speak about CSS Au Naturel area -

Pool - early morning it was great but my mid afternoon was full of people standing around talking whilst leaning on their floats so it was impossible to swim in the main part although you could float happily in the shallow end behind the cave. Obviously if you like to chat then that would not be a problem but we like to soak up the sun on our bed rather than just tan the parts above the waterline. Biggest bug bear was most of the loungers were 'reserved' before breakfast although it was midday before some people turned up however we were lucky as when we got there at around 7:45, even though there were only around 6 unreserved the two beds positioned where we liked were free so we were ok. They brought the food over from the restaurant so you could eat by the pool at lunch rather than get dressed and hike over to the other side. The entertainment team laid on quizes etc around 11:30 where those that took part had to be in the water (I guess the less the entertainment team see of people's privates the better from their point of view ) and they were usually well attended.

Beach - the beach area has lots of shaded areas and was well used by those turning up later who had not reserved seats by the pool. the sand is fine to walk on however when you get in the sea the sand can be hard to walk on as due to drifts from the river it can be quite deep so your feet sink in a bit so its makes you look a bit ungainly but not a problem. There are however a lot of rocks near the shoreline and although I did not wear them a lot of people wore water shoes. The water is quite shallow over the rocks but soon gets deeper - I found once it got past a foot deep to lie down and either swim or pull myself over the rocks with my hands or lie on your floatie. Personally although not ideal I did not find the rocks a problem.

As its next to the river there are a lot of locals who play or work nearby but I guess they are used to naked people so they weren't a problem and although being seen nude is not a problem for me what a lot people disliked was the Sandals glass bottomed boat use to come and stop 50 yards or so off the shore 2 or 3 times a day so its passengers could see those strange people who take their clothes off on holiday.

And some more photos.

Beach Grill for getting lunch without leaving

Sunset view

View of one of the many palapas available

Swim up bar after an early morning shower

You can see the over 2,000 photos we have taken of CSS and SSB by clicking on the "View Our CSS Photos" in my signature below.
    Last edited by Jeffmon; July 26th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

What a great trip down memory lane. We were there in June and had an amazing time. No, the beach isn't perfect, but it is beautiful and big, the bar staff is top notch and the pool is awesome. The sand has some rocks/shells but its still ok. Living in FL we are spoiled by our beaches in the panhandle, but the combination of the pool, beach, bar and grill made it good enough we didnt want to leave to go to the other side. I do not think you will have any regrets. Oh yeah, the rest of the resort isnt bad either

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post
    You can see the over 2,000 photos we have taken of CSS and SSB by clicking on the "Our CSS Photos" in my signature below.
    Hmmm... actually I can't seem to find that...

If the beach is important to you, you may want to stay with Negril. The beaches at CSS may be pretty to look at in the pictures but don't compare well with Negril.

SSB has the river flowing across it introducing a mix of cold water and the push of the current can drive you out fairly far off shore if you aren't watching what's going on. Our first time we had quite a difficult swim to get back to shore, somewhat like a rip tide. We had to swim across the beach to get out of the current, then into the shallower water. The course and flow of the river water changes daily so it doesn't always push straight out.

To say it's awkward getting into the ocean at SSB is a little understatement. The shore is quite rocky and there are places where the sand is very soft so you sink in quite a way. You will want water shoes!

You will find that most who love SSB stick to the pool which is very social but can get crowded. While CN can be quite social, most of the focus there is in the ocean where the water is consistent and the sand is smooth and soft.

The pictures of SSB are a little deceiving in that the beach looks (And is) great above the shore line, but once you go to the water line things change in a hurry.

Will you enjoy SSB? It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want to socialize then it is very social around the pool. If you're looking to spend your time in the ocean, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by srtaylor View Post
    Hmmm... actually I can't seem to find that...
    The link was down in my signature, right under the photo.

View Our CSS Photos
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

Questor,

I agree totally. The beach at SSB is not even close to comparison to CN. That being said, there are some things that do make a difference to some.
    First, it's a private beach. No walkby's, no vendors, no gawkers. Other than a few who frequent the beach across the river, SSB is very private, very secluded.
    There are no rooms overlooking SSB.
    The pool is huge with lots of room for everyone.
    Yes the bottom is very rocky when venturing out into the ocean, and if you bring your floatie, be wary of the river current as you will be far out in no time. Don't really want to end up on the CSS main beach without a bathing suit!!!
    We did find that on a hot day, the cool waters from the river were quite refreshing!!! If you stick closer to the river when swimming in the ocean, there are far fewer rocks, and the bottom is primarily sandy. We went out there last year, and after cooling off, the pool actually seemed warm, like pea soup.
    I have not experienced CN AU, but from the pics and comments, we will stick to SSB. Bigger. More private. Nice pool. Amazing staff. More relaxing... just MHO....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffmon View Post
    The link was down in my signature, right under the photo.

View Our CSS Photos
    Must be something about how I have my view of the forum set up. I don't see anyone's signature. Looking in your profile I see the link that I should see, but I don't have any signatures on any posts.

Thanks all!

Jeffmon,
    thanks very much for the great pics!
    Respect and good travels!

Must be something about how I have my view of the forum set up. I don't see anyone's signature. Looking in your profile I see the link that I should see, but I don't have any signatures on any posts.
    Same thing here - I don't see any signatures!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    Not everyone has signatures setup but you should see mine below this post. What are you using to view the forum? Computer, tablet, phone? What browser are you using? Also, if you scroll the page all the way down, what forum "theme" style is yours set to? Couples Dark, Couples Light, Couples Blue (Old School), vB4 Default Style, or Couples Mobile? Just trying to figure out why you guys can't see signatures.
    Jeff (Mandynjeff)

View Our CSS Photos

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
    Found it... Under "Settings | General Settings | THREAD DISPLAY OPTIONS" there is a check box for "Show Signatures". Check that and you will see signatures.

Jeffmon,
    Thanks for the photos(memories). Your right. Different settings can be a problem.

Nice post with great photos! We were there in June and loved the beach at SSB. The sand is OK, not white or anything but not dirty either. We brought water shoes and wore them when going in the water. We would just wade out to about neck level and float around , a few rocks but very pleasanet. Yes the water has cold currents running through it from the river but we found that refreshing, the sun gets so hot is was pleasant to cool off. We spent as much time on the chair cushions by the waters edge as we did the pool. Loved it!

I've spent many days on both beaches. So here is my opinion...

I do love both beaches and would go back to CSS except for the beach. The sand is not the smooth silky sand like Negril. The water is clear, but there are lots of rocks and seaweed, (grosses me out). At Negril you can float on your floatie for hours. At CSS you have to pay close attention to what you are doing as you can be pulled out to sea.

I didn't find CSS anymore private than CN as there is a resort across the way that looks right onto the beach, plus there are fishermen going up and down the river all day. I found much less gawkers at the CN beach.

The reason I would go back to CSS is the pool. The AN pool at CSS is fabulous. Large enough to hold a large crowd and you can float in the pool. Two different sides for either conversation or quiet reflection. The food bar is also a plus. It was very nice to be able to eat lunch over on SSB or even grab some fries in the late afternoon without getting dressed. Would be awesome if they had a self-serve ice cream machine over there.

So...if you enjoy pool time, CSS is the place to be. If you are a beach person, then CN. I really prefer to be on a beach than a pool. I can be in a pool anywhere, but only in Jamaica can I experience 7 Mile Beach.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come