Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Beach dress, like a sundress

Im looking for a wedding dress, but I don't want it to look like a wedding dress. I don't want it made of silk or anything like that. I also don't want any type of train. I want a simple white sundress or perhaps a light pink. I'd like it to be ankle length like a maxi dress. I'm almost 50 years old and this isn't my first wedding. I don't need to look like I'm trying to be a 20 something and it's my first wedding. I'm on the larger size so I need something where I can wear a bra and keep the girls in line. Does anyone know where I could find something like that. I've googled sundresses, white or any other color and have come up empty handed. Wedding dress sites have exactly what I don't want. I'm concerned we are getting to the end of season and there won't be anything to choose from. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

I'm in the exact same boat as you so I completely understand your frustration. Hopefully someone will show some links to different websites that have what we are looking for. It has gotten so frustrating, I've been tempted to start my own. I want it casual, and not formal at all. I came up with the idea of a sarong, so I have just ordered one online and am hoping to receive it this week for a trial and error. If this doesn't work, back to square one. I'm hoping to wear some type of support under it, but I do really like how they criss cross at the neck, have a ruffle down the front, and maybe bedazzle it a bit somehow. My only concern is I don't want to be frustrated trying to tie it up on the day of the wedding, so a friend of mine who can sew, might try to sew it somehow to keep it in line. I can't wait to see the responses to this post.

Wish I could help Julie but I judt wanted to say congrats. You've been through some tough times and sounds like your life is good!
    We are coming up on our 10 year anniversary already and was debating a vow renewal. Wouldn't know where to begin to look. Good luck!

Hi ladies, I posted a while back about casual beach wedding sarongs in the thread "sources for casual beach wedding dresses" did you look thru it as I know others posted sources for casual stuff? I think you would have more luck in your searches at stores online if you perhaps used the word cocktail dress instead of wedding dress. Also have you tried Etsy? I came across this stuff in just a 5 second search=
    View dress by colorfulday01 on Etsy
    Cocktail Dresses |Trendy Evening Dress | Cheap Sexy Cocktail Dresses
    maxi white wedding dress on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace.
    Hope any or all helps as I know how stressful it is, lol which is why I went with a sarong so my ever growing butt could always fit into it, ha! ha! Please let us know how it all goes and show us pics/reviews afterwards as I love seeing wedding/brides at Couples!!!!

Oh & PS wanted to say Obayb, if you use a sarong clip to help tie it make sure to pack an extra one! On my wedding day I broke the first one and thankfully had a back up. It's actually not that hard to tie but I was worried about it staying that way the entire day as I also wore it to dinner. Lol just saying................Good luck ladies!!!!!!

Well I think I'm back to square one. The sarong - well I guess I could use it, but it needs a lot of help as far as undergarments, slips, support etc. I want casual, maybe it's a little too casual?? Like OP, I'm not a small girl, and as I get older I require more support if you know what I mean. I wish I could find something that caters to a little larger sizes, not junior so there is more room up top. I like the look of the unstructured type dress, I think it fits in with the theme of the Jamaican wedding. For instance I kinda like some of these, Style Tantrum Boho Fashion - Bespoke Wedding Dresses - Romantic One of a Kind Designs , but jeez the prices! I'm looking to spend no more than $200 for the 10 minute ceremony. I like some of the lacy things on this site too Style Transcending Trends For The by 2DreamersBecome1 on Etsy. A lot of the sizes run S-M though. Oh well, I guess the search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristyCSA View Post
    Hi ladies, I posted a while back about casual beach wedding sarongs in the thread "sources for casual beach wedding dresses" did you look thru it as I know others posted sources for casual stuff? I think you would have more luck in your searches at stores online if you perhaps used the word cocktail dress instead of wedding dress. Also have you tried Etsy? I came across this stuff in just a 5 second search=
    View dress by colorfulday01 on Etsy
    Cocktail Dresses |Trendy Evening Dress | Cheap Sexy Cocktail Dresses
    maxi white wedding dress on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace.
    Hope any or all helps as I know how stressful it is, lol which is why I went with a sarong so my ever growing butt could always fit into it, ha! ha! Please let us know how it all goes and show us pics/reviews afterwards as I love seeing wedding/brides at Couples!!!!
    Hi ChristyCSA;222654,
    Thank you so much for the websites, great dresses on them all. My favorite was the last one with vintage dresses, more my style since I'm "renewing my wedding vows" I wanted something a bit different and that was perfect. Thank you for sharing.

Arriving CSA on November 16-30th, 2013, counting down the days for us. :-)

Wow, very very happy to be of some help I love helping brides/people on here because I know how stressful planning an unknown event in another country can seem. I have always had great luck buying things thru Etsy whether it be vintage or handmade stuff. Can't wait to see some pics when you get it or afterwards. I just hope the original poster found herself something that makes her happy as well by now. You are going to love CSA, we got married there in 2006. VERY romantic. Don't skip the bonfire on the beach night, my hubby still raves about how romantic that night was. Eat some sweet potato chips and dips for me and enjoy yourselves

ChristyCSA,
    I have picked out about 3 dresses I'm deciding on. We too were married at CSA and this will be our 25 wedding anniversary. We are going to renewal our vows and this time on the beach instead of the garden. They didn't have the bonfire back then and the place was much smaller too, but as you said it is a very romantic place. Thanks for your help and I'll keep you updated on the dress I finally pick out.

If you are looking for beach dresses lingeries are best for this purpose and easily available on shopping store in different designs color combinations and sizes also. I have also a pair of lingerie skirts which i have purchased recently.

Thanks ladies for your suggestions. I ended up finding a dress on jjshouse.com that is a bridesmaid dress, but looks like a sundress to me. Here is a link:

A-Line/Princess V-neck Knee-Length Chiffon Bridesmaid Dress With Ruffle Beading (007015318) - JJsHouse

Since it isn't my first time around, I'm going to have it made in light pink.

This is the shirt that Jeff is going to wear with brown linen pants:

Colima Linen Beach Wedding Attire

I just have to loose a bit more weight and then I'll order the dress. I don't want to get one that has to be re-sized too much.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

You guys are going to look great, have fun!

Those are great choices. I'll be curious to see if you are happy with your JJ's house dress. After searching and searching, there are many many china websites that offer beautiful dresses. I was a bit concerned to order from one of these as I've heard both good and bad outcomes and didn't want to take the chance.

My sarong idea didn't work at all, it only made me look heavier with no structure. I was fortunate to be walking through our local Dillard's and found a dress that I liked, and fortunately was able to try on right there. I would post a picture of it, but I can't find one of it online and my phone camera is broke. It is going to need a little tweaking as right now it has chiffon cap sleeves and I'm going to have it made into a halter. It has a couple ruffles coming down the front of it so gives me some coverage there too. It is tea length in the front and drops slightly in the back, with a few sparkles up at the top. It met most of the criteria I was looking for, best of all I got it on clearance for $56 - lol.

Great to hear the OP & Obayb found some dresses!!! Can't wait to see some pics ladies

Don't order from weddingtropics.com. I ordered the embroidery thread to match my dress and my credit card number got lifted. I had to cancel my card and am now waiting for the money to be returned to my account. Sorry if I mislead anyone. So now I am searching for a shirt similar to the one I already found, but not getting very far. Very frustrating!

I just might head over to Dillards or Macys and see what I can find. I HATE shopping so I was trying to do it all online, but I might have to breakdown and go the old fashioned way. I'm also reconsidering my decision to purchase from JJs House. I feel like I'm back at square one.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Coloradojuli - I'm so sorry to hear about the credit card issue. There's always Tommy Bahama, Island Importers, Cubavera to check out too. One other note, I ordered 4 dresses from Davids's Bridal DB Studio which are more casual affordable dresses. They were all long with no train. I jut didn't like any of them, these seemed to "bridaly" for me. Just want to keep it simple. 2nd time around, on the beach. My dress is Signature by Robbie Bee that I found at Dillards, I'm like you too, I hate to shop and thought online might be the way to go, but no luck - I guess I gotta try it on.

Ha - I found a picture of the dress online. Mine is all white however and it has some sparkles going across the neckline. I am going to have the cap sleeves made into halter style. But I love where the ruffles fall in the front, and like the slightly longer back with ruffles too. It flows great too being that it is chiffon. Wish I could have found a picture of it in white, it looks more "bridaly":
    Robbie Bee Embellished Hi-Lo Ruffle Dress

Obayb ~ I love your dress. I can imagine it in white. It has got to look great!

I talked to a friend the other day about going shopping with me. So I'm going to drag her out some Saturday real soon and go to Dillard's etc... and see what I can find. This seems more frustrating then it is worth! LOL
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Coloradojuli, I think I found that dress you like on the other thread in Cagirlfrom Tx. I foubd one just like it on the Davids Bridal site. Style XS3450. I don't know how to post it here or I would. If you have problems finding it, I saved it and I could email it. Saraclemons19@yahoo.com

Thanks softail19. Your directions where perfect. I found it. I also found a dress today at Dillard's. I'm not completely sold on it, but I bought it anyway. I do think I will head to David's Bridal this week and see what I can find. I'm 2 months out as of today and have to make a decision.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We are six months out thankfully because I can't make up my mind. I want one with sleeves and most are sleeveless or strapless.I promised Jim we would go more casual this time and I'm no spring chicken anymore lol. I want to drop some weight too.
    Glad I could help Juli, have fun

I just came across a better link to my dress. It shows, front and back. Mine however is all white:

Auctiva Image Hosting

I decided to keep the dress I found at Dillards. I took it to the seamstress on Saturday to have it hemmed. Suppose to be ready today. Getting close...39 days until we leave!
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Coloradojuli - you and I are on the same page. Mine is at a friends, she's "tweaking" it for me. Taking off the beads and replacing with lacy/pearly/sequins and turning the straps into a halter. I'm glad you found something at Dillard's that's where I found mine too. I just really wanted to stay away from a long "wedding" dress the second time around, and wanted to stay within the "beach" theme.

Maybe you can post a pic of yours, would love to see it. We will be there and gone before you, counting the days and it is really coming up fast!

Obayb ~ I'll try to take a pic in the next few days and post it. I picked it up from the seamstress, but haven't tried it on yet. Need to be sure and do that soon to make sure she made the dress short enough. I don't want to be tripping over it.

Which resort are you going to? We will be at CN ~ Dec 14-21 getting married on the 18th.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast