Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Update on Smoking Ban

Wanted to know from those that have been to JA since the smoking ban went into affect.

Which resort did you go to? Where were you allowed to smoke?

Thx!
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

There is no smoking ban, just a restriction on where you can smoke. Basically no smoking in enclosed covered spaces.

Smoking on your balcony is allowed.

Thanks for the update. We were also wondering about areas like sitting at the pool bar at CSS, either in or out of the water. Or the beach bar. These are both "covered" but are not enclosed areas. Randymon's post was not very clear about these type areas.

Thanks,
    Scott and June

What about at the outdoor bars. Is Couples going to post an official policy like the S resorts have.

Okay, guess I should have said "smoking ban in covered spaces". I know there was a sticky and much debate about this. Was just wondering who has been there since this went into affect and what places no longer allow smoking. ie. pool bar, beach bar, etc. Since those are covered spaces with roofs.

Thx!
    Linda & Nick
    CSS - March 2013

"Sticky" on this topic has gone away.

Does the restriction include beach bars? They're covered, but not enclosed.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc7236 View Post
    Thanks for the update. We were also wondering about areas like sitting at the pool bar at CSS, either in or out of the water. Or the beach bar. These are both "covered" but are not enclosed areas. Randymon's post was not very clear about these type areas.

Thanks,
    Scott and June
    This is why I asked.... I never got a clear answer when I asked on the original thread. Then it was closed after Randymon's last response that balconies were okay. Was a sticky, now it's gone.

I'm assuming since balconies/patios are okay that the pool/beach bars are okay. Since both have roofs but aren't enclosed. Guess I'll find out in November!

:-)
    Linda & Nick
    CSS - March 2013

We were just at CN and there were no smoking signs at ALL the bars and the ashtrays have been removed from the balconies leading me to believe from that and randymon that smoking there isn't allowed. A lot of people had ecigs.

My understanding is the rule is for enclosed structures. Your balcony is covered but fair game for smoking. By extrapolation you could say the beach bars are ok too.
    Cigar Dude
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

My cigar blog: http://tinytimblog.blogspot.com/

balcony is covered so how come that is ok? Or did the poster just "get away with it" on his visit?

Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    There is no smoking ban, just a restriction on where you can smoke. Basically no smoking in enclosed covered spaces.

Smoking on your balcony is allowed.
    Not sure smoking on balcony is allowed - previous text from Randymon clearly states balconies are classed as "under cover"

Randymon
    According to the wording of the law - any facility under cover. This includes the balconies. It does not include open spaces such as around the pools, on the beach, in the gardens, ie outdoors not under cover/roof.

Just back from CSA last night.

There are signs on the counters at the beach bars ( Bamboo and Sunset) that say "Thank you For Not Smoking!"

Also the swim up pool bar had very few people sitting around it. Then I realized it was due to the smoking ban. That's where lots of smokers used to hang out. Not any more!

There were ashtrays on the balconies.

Most people would just light up on the beach, but not too close to anyone.

The Jamaican Government is reviewing the legislation and we anticipate clearer direction at the end of this month. In the meantime, we are simply saying that smoking is not allowed under any covered structure. Same as in Barbados.

Smoking IS permitted on room balconies, but not in rooms.

Couples Resorts

Randymon, seems totally fair and makes sense

We just returned from CSS and did not seem to notice much of a change for smokers, no where indoors did we see any one smoking, some on patios and around pool bar or at the beach but no smoking seen outside the restaurants Pallazina or Cassanova or in the restaurants, mostly at the bars if at all, did not appear it was an issue with anyone.

So hoping that pool & beach bars at CN are considered "covered structures" ...... Would love to be able to enjoy them without the smoky haze.
    Julie

The smoking ban prohibits smoking in public places and in workplaces. Outdoor bars would constitute both. I found an article in The Gleaner, which states that "The term 'smoking in public' means smoking in public places, indoor or outdoor, where people go to conduct business, gather, or use services. These include restaurants, bars, clubs, offices, work places, play places, all government-owned and occupied buildings, health facilities including hospitals and pharmacies, education institutions, bus stops, and public transportation, including buses and taxis." Clearing the air on smoking ban - News - Jamaica Gleaner - Wednesday | July 3, 2013
    Pamela
    I know everything, and I'm always right (just ask my husband).

We were at CSS in July right after the no smoking rule went into effect. My hubby is a smoker. He asked at the front desk and was told he could smoke on the balcony--it is covered but not enclosed. At SSB, the bartender would not allow anyone to smoke around the bar, which is under cover, but people were smoking around the pool. Hope this helps

I am a smoker and although I can appreciaite not bothering others with my "smoke" I have to say one of the fondest memories I have is at CN sitting in the pool bar with a cigarette in one hand and a dirty banana in the other. I am hoping the pool bar does not count in this smoking ban

If it is true that there is no smoking at the swimup pool bar at CSA, we will be very happy. The bar in the past has always attracted a lot of smokers. I have asthma, and even though it is outside, the cigarette and especially the cigar smoke at the pool bar was almost always too much for me to take. I would even try taking my inhaler with me, but the smoke on some days was so dense I would have trouble breathing. Since I did not feel it was my right to ask smokers who were already there not to smoke, we would usually just avoid the swim up bar except for very brief visits.

BobandJudy,

I don't believe they are allowing smoking at any place that is a gathering area, such as the swim up bars, the main beach bar, the balloon bar, the lobby etc. According to how I read the new law, it does govern any area for which people gather, such as bars, bus stops, restaurants, etc. As smokers, we are fine with that and certainly do our best not to interfere with the enjoyment of the resort as well, by doing our best not to expose others to our second hand smoke. We stand away from others and choose loungers more off from the crowded areas, so that we can do what we do, and let non smokers have their space as well. We respect your choice, and certainly do not impose our choices upon others. We are all there to relax and "vacate" our daily lives, and everyone is entitled to enjoy their time while there.
    On the other side of things, if we are sitting at the end of the beach, or far end of the pool, away from people, don't come sit next to us if you are a non smoker and complain. Respect goes both ways.

Novastar - I agree with your assessment. As I said, anytime we went to the swimup bar and there were smokers already there, we would never be so rude as to ask them to stop smoking. Same held for the Patois bar or anywhere else for that matter. We just avoid smokers and then it's not an issue.

BobandJudy, thank you so much for your post. You are so right, respect goes both ways, and I for one very much appreciate your consideration. I am a non-smoker, and my husband is an ex-smoker, but when he did smoke, he was very considerate, so it is upsetting to witness a lack of respect on BOTH ends. (Not upsetting enough to ruin anything, but nonetheless your consideration it is greatly appreciated, and I hope non-smokers will take heed and give smokers their space)

CN April 2006 (MARRIED!!)
    CN July 2008
    CTI March 2010
    CN April 2012

At CN, the smoking policy at the bars has evolved for years, well before this new "smoking ban" law.

At least 5 or 6 years ago there was a change to 'no smoking' in the piano bar (we saw a belligerent guest threatened with expulsion from the resort a few years ago for repeatedly attempting to light his cigar right in front of the 'no smoking' sign).

A few years ago, 'no smoking' signs were added to the main bar at night time (but, curiously not during morning nor day time) and possibly at the beach grill bar as well. (don't know the pool bar policy - don't frequent it much).

For at least 8 months the 'no smoking' policy at main and beach grill bars has been extended to all times of day. We were told that the bar staff had lobbied for this for quite some time (the requests started before the Karen Lanigan/Ricardo Bowleg switch). Many of the staff have young children, are pregnant, or are about to be pregnant, and we were told this was at least part of their reasoning for the requested ban.

Restaurant-wise, Cassava and Heliconia enacted 'no smoking' policies ~2010.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast