Default Red Stripe Light

We are headed back to CTI in 13 days. Since we were there last year my hubby has missed his red stripe light. We brought back rum and champagne last year, but no beer. Our local store has red stripe here in the states, but its not light and its not as good according to him. So...all that to ask for packing ideas/customs limits/where to buy red stripe light to bring home. We saw regular red stripe everywhere, but only remember seeing the light in a 6 pack of glass bottles at one store in the airport. I know they have to be transferred to checked luggage when we get to the states...but what is the limit to bring back. Would it expand and bust open during flight? Anybody done this before?? Surely, We can't be the first to bring back beer. Thanks for your expertise

Red Stripe light. The stuff in the States is brewed in Pa. and is not even close. No problem with flight, but might want to wrap with bubble wrap. I think the limit might be the 50lb. bag check, and beyond that, what kind of shape you are in, and how much can you carry!!!

I'm not sure that is a good idea. The compartment where they place the luggage gets really cold because of the high altitude the plane flies. And there is no heat in the luggage compartment. I don't think there is enough alcohol in the beer to keep it from freezing. I wouldn't try it, you'll most likely end up with a mess in your luggage. Just enjoy the beer while there. We drink Red Stripe (regular) and think it doesn't taste nearly as good in the States as it does in Jamaica. Just gives you excuses to keep going back to enjoy it! I may be wrong, but that's my hypothesis.
    Juliann & Jeff
    Jamaica Soon Come

We bring back bottles, "plastic", of Ting with no Alc. and with no problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradojuli View Post
    I'm not sure that is a good idea. The compartment where they place the luggage gets really cold because of the high altitude the plane flies. And there is no heat in the luggage compartment. I don't think there is enough alcohol in the beer to keep it from freezing. I wouldn't try it, you'll most likely end up with a mess in your luggage. Just enjoy the beer while there. We drink Red Stripe (regular) and think it doesn't taste nearly as good in the States as it does in Jamaica. Just gives you excuses to keep going back to enjoy it! I may be wrong, but that's my hypothesis.
    That would have to be one long flight for something to freeze in the cargo hold.

People travel with wine checked all the time. Look for "wine diapers" on Amazon or elsewhere. They are padded plastic bags that are lined with diaper material so if it does break it is all abserbed within the bag. I would think you could fit a six pack in 2 or 3.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by AAS View Post
    People travel with wine checked all the time. Look for "wine diapers" on Amazon or elsewhere. They are padded plastic bags that are lined with diaper material so if it does break it is all abserbed within the bag. I would think you could fit a six pack in 2 or 3.
    Lol! I nearly spit out my drink! I have never heard of these. Cool idea though. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. From research, It looks like Customs and TSA are not concerned with the amount of beer packed because of its low alcohol volume. Our flight home after we get to the U.S. Is less than 2 hrs. Soft drinks and champagne didn't freeze last time so I may try it with a six pack (if I can find one). I'm planning to put them in a ziplock bag or one of the wine diapers as suggested and put them between clothes/bubble wrap.

Thanks again!