Thread: Beer

Default Beer

Can anyone tell me what type of beer they serve at CSW? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspclusew View Post
    Can anyone tell me what type of beer they serve at CSW? Thanks.
    You can have anything you want, so long as it is Red Stripe. lol

Red Stripe

Red Stripe, of course. Bwhaaaa..... :-) No idea on other brands as hubby and I like Red Stripe.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

Cold

When I was there last, they had Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light at most of the bars. The martini bar served Heineken and the bar over at the spa served Guiness, if I'm not mistaken. They also had Carib in the cans that were used to stock the in room fridges, which actually wasn't too bad. I don't recall if they served Carib at any of the bars, though. For some reason, I'm also thinking they may have had Miller Lite.....

So Red Stripe is the only choice?

Cold...yellow....and fizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy620 View Post
    So Red Stripe is the only choice?
    I'm sure they have others. But for hubby and I, since we are in JA, we get Red Stripe. Since we can get any other brands at home.
    Linda & Nick
    CSA - Oct 2004 (for our wedding!!!)
    CN - March 2006, Nov 2013
    CSS - March 2013

When in Rome......

Other than Red Stripe and Carib, we have seen on occasion Miller Lite, Heineken, and Guiness. I am somewhat of a beer geek and I actually enjoy Carib but the last time we were at CSA it was no where to be found. I think any beer lover would enjoy the Red Stripe from jamaica. There is a huge difference between the Red Stripe in the states VS. On the Island...I believe its due to pasteurization? Either way...Your significant other+beer+beach+amazing weather+awesome resort+BEST STAFF EVER=Paradise!

Quote Originally Posted by Skolmiller View Post
    Either way...Your significant other+beer+beach+amazing weather+awesome resort+BEST STAFF EVER=Paradise!
    Sounds perfect!

There is a huge difference between the Red Stripe in the states VS. On the Island...I believe its due to pasteurization?
    That's good to know. Just finished a 12 pack of the US-made Red Stripe (made at Latrobe brewery) and I thought it was like a light beer, kind of weak.

Other than Red Stripe and Carib, we have seen on occasion Miller Lite, Heineken, and Guiness. I am somewhat of a beer geek and I actually enjoy Carib but the last time we were at CSA it was no where to be found. I think any beer lover would enjoy the Red Stripe from jamaica. There is a huge difference between the Red Stripe in the states VS. On the Island...I believe its due to pasteurization? Either way...Your significant other+beer+beach+amazing weather+awesome resort+BEST STAFF EVER=Paradise!
    Red Stripe in US is brewed in Canada.

Heineken and Guiness are also brewed locally and distributed by the same folks, so those are common. If you see Carib...just run. I drink everything from PBR to 25 dollar bombers of limited run stuff, and I have never, ever tasted anything as foul.

I agree with the assessment of Red Stripe on island v. the States - Could be the shipping time and conditions or the mere fact that sitting in Negril with a beer is never as good as sitting on my couch in IL with a beer. 33 days....time to start getting into drinking shape...

Correction. Red Stripe in America is brewed in Latrobe, PA. by City Brewing which is the former Rolling Rock brewery. Diago controls the Red Stripe brand in America along with Guiness and some other Euro brands.

I've noticed the red stripe bottles I buy in the states have gotten smaller

Guinness in Jamaica is 2x stronger than in Canada or US. I lost that bet to the bartender and had to buy him a 6pack. They have Guinness "foreign export" in jamaica. I had never seen that before. It tastes just as good but with higher alcohol. They have a local stout worth trying if you like stronger beer, it's called dragon stout. You can buy it at any little store close to the resort.

Red Stripe bottles in the U.S. have recently switched from being bottled in Jamaica to being bottled in Latrobe, as others have stated. The Red Stripe tall boy cans were already being bottled in Canada, even before the bottles moved from Jamaica to PA, and still are.

softail19, a lot of imported beer bottles, not just Red Stripe, are in 11.2 oz bottles, not 12 oz. I started noticing that quite a few years back with Hoegaarden and some others, but it seems to have become more widespread.
    "Brutalize me with music..."

CN: 11/2007, 11/2010, 11/2011, 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by kcsiemens View Post
    Guinness in Jamaica is 2x stronger than in Canada or US. I lost that bet to the bartender and had to buy him a 6pack. They have Guinness "foreign export" in jamaica. I had never seen that before. It tastes just as good but with higher alcohol. They have a local stout worth trying if you like stronger beer, it's called dragon stout. You can buy it at any little store close to the resort.
    Guiness Foreign Export Stout is available in the States. Look for it where better beer is sold.

Part of the confusion on the alcohol content is that regular Guniness Draught is only 4.2% alcohol. People think it is stronger because it is dark which is one of the greatest beer myths in the world. Foreign Export is 7.5% which packs a punch if you are not used to stronger beers.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    softail19, a lot of imported beer bottles, not just Red Stripe, are in 11.2 oz bottles, not 12 oz. I started noticing that quite a few years back with Hoegaarden and some others, but it seems to have become more widespread.
    Things that make you hmmmmnnnnnnn........if it is brewed in PA it is not imported. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jimpat1 View Post
    Things that make you hmmmmnnnnnnn........if it is brewed in PA it is not imported. Just saying.
    Touche. However, the beer is brewed in concentrate overseas, then sent here, where water is added and it is bottled. A little somethin I picked up on a brewery tour a decade ago. Domestic beers are done the same way. Brewed and bottled are not synonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by dank120 View Post
    Touche. However, the beer is brewed in concentrate overseas, then sent here, where water is added and it is bottled. A little somethin I picked up on a brewery tour a decade ago. Domestic beers are done the same way. Brewed and bottled are not synonymous.
    Interesting. I'd heard back in the day that Coors did this when they expanded to the east coast but I've never seen anyone mention this over on Beer Advocate dot com about the big boys doing this with the Euro and other stuff that is produced over here now.

Got to love a good beer discussion thread on the boards. I'm a home brewer and love variety in my beer. The only thing disappointing to me about my visits to Jamaica is the relative lack of beer choices. With that said, I try to enjoy all beer styles for what they are. I actually think Red Stripe is a decent representation of the corn/adjunct lager style. I agree that Red Stripe tastes better in Jamaica. I'm sure the atmosphere and my state of mind while on vacation has something to do with that. Its also possible that it is fresher on the island. I tried Carib once. I wouldn't seek it out again. I do recall drinking a few Guinness at CSA several years ago, but I didn't come across it last year. Just be careful if you find it because the Export version that is made in Jamaica is much higher in alcohol than the low alcohol version found in the states.

I stay away from beers in clear and green bottles (aka Corona, Heineken, etc.) because those color bottles do a poor job of blocking the sun's light rays. Sunlight and some other forms of light create a photochemical reaction with the hops in the beer to create a skunky or sulpher-like smell. The brown glass of the Red Stripe bottle does a god job of avoiding skunky beer.

With that said, if you come across me in Jamaica, you will most likely see me relaxing and smiling with a Red Stripe.... or a Dragon stout if I can find one.