Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How is the smoking ban going? And also is Kenesha still there? 288 days and counting!!

I would like to know if I need to bring my own toiletries- shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, and soap. I don't know if CTI provides these in the hotel or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeM View Post
    Have a blast, we'll be there for our honeymoon in November. I know one thing that hurts when I look for info is that the message board requires 4 letters in a search term, so 'CTI' is out. Either way, this has already been very helpful.

The things I'm curious about are:
    What days the cat cruise happens?
    How much the scuba certification would cost?
    Is there a spa menu?
    Is the nightclub done?

Other than that, just go have fun.
    Here's info on the spa. Other questions already answered in another reply.
    Name:  CTI SPA Brochure 1.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  100.8 KBName:  CTI SPA Brochure 2.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  268.3 KBName:  CTI SPA Brochure 3.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  122.0 KBName:  CTI SPA Packages 1.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  105.6 KBName:  CTI SPA Packages 2.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  109.2 KB

Sandman 799
    I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer questions about the resort. Did you do trading places to CSS?
    Again, thank you.
    Have a drink on me!

Quote Originally Posted by greenbean2 View Post
    How is the smoking ban going? And also is Kenesha still there? 288 days and counting!!
    You can smoke on your balcony, but I don't believe you can at the bars. We haven't seen any signs at the bars asking you not to smoke, but nobody has so far. They have plenty of butt-cans outside for smokers to use. We thought it was odd that when we first got to the room, there was an ashtray in the desk drawer, which we took out to the balcony. Seemed like it should have been left on the table outside instead. I haven't heard any comments from the guests either pro or against the ban so it seems to be going ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Myapapya View Post
    Sandman 799
    I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer questions about the resort. Did you do trading places to CSS?
    Again, thank you.
    Have a drink on me!
    Doing trading places today! I'll take a good look around. We're wanting to see if that's somewhere we'd like to stay in the future or not. Probably not with all the stairs but we'll see....

Update after visit: What I liked better than CTI - More of a tropical feel due to the grounds being more expansive and so much more tropical foliage everywhere along the paths between different areas of the resort. Much larger Au Natural area, both for sitting and the swim-up bar area, and you can get in the ocean from Au Natural area. Mineral pool was nice, something CTI doesn't have. Pond with all the turtles and pelicans to feed was also nice. The main pool also looked bigger than what we have at CTI. What we didn't like as much: All the stairs!! I counted 138 to go from the beach level back to the lobby, but will admit there are several different paths one could take. I may have taken one of the longer ones. Veggie bar not as good with fewer items on the menu. Distances from one main feature to another are greater, and when stairs are also involved, you really don't want to be doing a lot of backtracking. Rooms are not right on the beach like at CTI, so even though you may have an ocean view, it will be crowded with a large lawn area and other resort facilities you have to see past to see the beach and ocean. Although Au Natural area has access to the ocean with a full beach, the ocean floor is all rocky. Not sharp jagged rocks, but like large river-rocks. Smooth enough you won't cut yourself if barefoot, but still very uncomfortable to walk on. Sandals or water shoes would have made that easier to traverse. We didn't try any of the restaurants, so can't comment on that, but those that did and have visited both resorts, both current CSS visitors and those from CTI, thought CTI food was better. I think if the place didn't have all the stairs, were level with the beach, and maybe had rooms closer to the beach I'd like it much more and could get over the greater distances between places. All those stairs really is a game changer for us though.
    Last edited by sandman799; August 23rd, 2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Update after visiting CSS

Quote Originally Posted by julieoolie View Post
    I would like to know if I need to bring my own toiletries- shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, and soap. I don't know if CTI provides these in the hotel or not.
    The showers have two large refillable pump bottles mounted to the wall that hold at least 12 oz of conditioning shampoo in one, and body wash in another. Some of the posts say you might prefer to bring your own shampoo though. I didn't have any problem with it, but my wife did bring her own. In addition, there is another similar refillable pump bottle mounted near the sink full of body lotion, a moisturizing skin care bar on the sink along with a larger bar of soap and a shower cap. They also provide Kleenex. There's a good sized makeup mirror provided that's on hinged arms to allow you to pull it out and adjust as needed, and a hair dryer. Some have said it isn't very powerful but I tried it and it's plenty hot with lots of air flow. Maybe the ones others had were a different model? I wouldn't bother bringing a separate hair dryer if you're trying to save weight or space in your suitcases for souvenirs. They do not provide mouthwash so bring your own. Also, we just found a sewing kit in the desk drawer, has black, gray, brown, white, blue, and pink thread, two white buttons, a small safety pin and a needle. We brought a similar kit as a just in case thing, but now won't bother bringing it again.
    Last edited by sandman799; August 25th, 2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added body lotion and sewing kit

Quote Originally Posted by greenbean2 View Post
    Yes, Kenesha is still here, and our absolute favorite on the entertainment staff! She's remembered our names from the very beginning when she gave us the orientation tour. She even interrupted her own dinner to come over and chat a bit one night prior to the Silver Birds steel band show (fantastic by the way). She's on our list of best employees to recognize on our comment card when we check out.

Actually, the person I'm thinking of is Aneisha Rowe, but we thought her name was Kenesha initially. Is that who you were referring to? Petite young girl, cute, and always smiling and laughing and really bubbly personality?
    Last edited by sandman799; August 25th, 2013 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceweasle View Post
    Hello again (we have chatted on one I posted.) Sandman799... Great post and idea!!! We are first timers also but going in Dec. I dont know enough to ask a lot of questions but people always seem to learn things at the end of a trip that they wish they known in the beginning... if you come across anything like that or things you think as a first timer you have to do and things you were iffy on please let us know.. oh and if you took anything with you that is a must have or a "darn it we should have brought this or that"... would be good info too... I will live thru your experience until ours
    We went out of our way to find what we thought would be the most effective bug repellent so we wouldn't get ate up with sand fleas when the sun goes down and they come out, but here at CTI there doesn't appear to be any. In south Florida, within seconds of getting on the beach we'd start feeling the bites, but here, we've made several walks on the beach after dark and never got any bites and haven't even taken the cap off the repellent we brought. For anyone that may be visiting other resorts where they're a problem, we brought a product called Maxi Deet, made by Sawyer. The active ingredient is 98.11% Deet, the highest concentration I could find. We found it in an Air Force base exchange, but you may be able to get it through Amazon. Sorry, can't tell you how well it works, since we didn't have to use it yet.

You might wait to hear what others have said on this topic as far as CTI is concerned. We met a couple today who did a split stay starting at CSA, and they got ate up with sand flea bites there. One of the staff here told them it wasn't a problem here due to the lack of rain recently, so maybe my impression that they aren't a problem here isn't necessarily true but depends more on rainfall.
    Last edited by sandman799; August 25th, 2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added info on sand flea problem at CSA

Default What Nice People You Are!

Quote Originally Posted by sandman799 View Post
    This thread is to gather all questions that others would like to see answered about CTI while we're there from 18 - 27 Aug., but could be used for others in the future as a way to get answers to your questions from those on site now or in the future that you just aren't getting answers for on the message board or from staff.

Post questions here, and we'll try to get you answers while we're there. Having one place to gather these questions and provide answers will be much easier for us all. If this idea catches on it may be confusing with Q&As for all 5 resorts, so this one is specific to CTI. Others with a similar name could be started for the other resorts.

While we're there we'll look at the message board and answer what we can as best as we can, if you don't mind the answer coming from a first timer, with a first timer's point of view. Since this is our first visit, I wouldn't know what may have changed in the past year, but will give you all the details I can about anything you can give me specifics on or what to look for. Our posts should be visible around the 19th or 20th of Aug. 3 Days, 9 Hours, and 44 minutes, but who's counting?
    Hi- I just wanted to say what a thoughtful thing you're doing by getting that info on-demand for people. I know for so many of us that we love reading the MB and dreaming about the trip to come, but have so many specific questions that can be hard to find. So even though we're CSA-bound, I've been enjoying reading this thread and applaud your generous spirit, Sandman999!

Default daily activities & evening entertainment

Is there a place at CTI where they post the daily activities & evening entertainment like at CN just outside the Cassava restaurant? Also, is it the same for ordering our mini-bar....just a phone call away?

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrace View Post
    Is there a place at CTI where they post the daily activities & evening entertainment like at CN just outside the Cassava restaurant? Also, is it the same for ordering our mini-bar....just a phone call away?

Kathy
    Yes, there's a whiteboard mounted in the Patio Restaurant/Entertainment area with all the activities and entertainment for the day listed, and to get things for your mini-bar you just call room service. You have to be in your room to sign for it, but it only takes 5 - 10 minutes to be delivered.

Kathy
    The schedule is posted by the entrance to the buffet restaurant. They write it up about 7pm or so the night before.

You fill out a door "hang tag" for the mini-bar and they fill it to your specification.

Quote Originally Posted by verknid View Post
    I know for so many of us that we love reading the MB and dreaming about the trip to come, but have so many specific questions that can be hard to find. So even though we're CSA-bound, I've been enjoying reading this thread and applaud your generous spirit, Sandman999!
    That's exactly why I decided to do this. There were so many things I wasn't getting answers to and wished there were someone there that could find out for me. It would be nice if others would do the same with a similar title but for CSA and the other resorts. There's a lot of questions whose answers don't change, that any repeater could answer, but for those things that have changed, or are in the midst of change, it sure would be nice to have "todays" latest info. We waited for months to hear more about the night-club they were supposed to have been building here at CTI and getting no info from management on when it was to be done, so that was my number one question to send back an answer on!

Quote Originally Posted by srtaylor View Post
    The schedule is posted by the entrance to the buffet restaurant. They write it up about 7pm or so the night before.

You fill out a door "hang tag" for the mini-bar and they fill it to your specification.
    Right on the schedule, but they no longer provide door "hang tags" for the minibar. Everything has to be ordered through room service then you have to be in your room to accept it and sign for it. Even the common things, like the Pepsi, Ting, and other mixers have to be requested. Many people expect the housekeeper to restock those items, but they don't. You just have to make a phone call and in less than 15 minutes you'll have everything you asked for.

How about "coconut water"....like to have my daily fix.

Ricardo was at the island yesterday and the main bar the day before

Yeahhh:...Patio is no longer a buffet at dinner! I think this is great and hope it continues and is not just a "low season" test. We typically avoid the buffets so this gives us another option for dinner while at CTI. We will be there in OCT.

Thank you for doing this. I hope your stay has been fantastic! We have a group of 4 going from Dec. 28th through Jan. 4th. Since you've been doing this from CTI I have to ask, as a Computer Analyst myself, how's the Internet speed.

Yes, of course I know we'll be on vacay and things like this are silly but if I'm going to use it it would be nice to have some decent speeds.

Tony & Amy
    Jim & Kristal

How about "coconut water"....like to have my daily fix.
    If you're talking about the coconuts they'll cut open at the veggie bar so you can sip the coconut milk inside, yes, they still do that. Didn't get one this time, but will try to next time. The Spa has a few different flavored waters, but not sure if coconut is one. Leaving tomorrow... I should wear black tomorrow as I'll be in mourning of the death of a really good time!

Yes, I'm talking about coconuts. Just love how they put out coconuts every morning on the bar at the smoothie station at CN.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ya Soon View Post
    Yeahhh:...Patio is no longer a buffet at dinner! I think this is great and hope it continues and is not just a "low season" test. We typically avoid the buffets so this gives us another option for dinner while at CTI. We will be there in OCT.
    Really? No more buffets at the Patio at dinner? That's a nice change.

For those with questions about the rooms, there are 360 photos on the website. Sure, you may have additional questions but a picture is also helpful. Also the spa treatments and pricing was on the website the last time I looked but that's been a while. After six trips what I can tell you is the rooms vary a good bit within the category as far as size of closet, size of balcony, etc., so no one persons experience can tell you exactly what you will get. What I also can tell you from experience is that the staff will try their very best to suit you if you will just let them know how they can make you more comfortable. I've seen them bend over backwards over and over. Almost anything you forget will be available in the shop and you should have resort credit to cover it if you are planning well in advance. Don't stress over minor details. Remember things like an extra pair of reading glasses that would be really hard for them. I once called the desk because I didn't have a sewing kit in my room and a button had come off and a threaded needle was in my room when I got back from dinner. You'll never pack everything you could possibly ever have a need for. They are the ones with the most experience at this, let them do what they do best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2