Default Snorkeling geat at CTI

Hello!
    I am due to arrive at CTI next weekend and I wanted to know if anyone can tell me if the resort still uses the inflatable life vests when doing the excursions. We stayed at CSA 2 years ago and I wasn't too keen on blowing up the vest myself so if CTI uses the same ones, I may get my own. Can anyone provide any insight?

I can't answer that question, but I feel similarly about the snorkel...so I bought my own.

So I understand, snorkeling is done with inflatable life vests? I am not a strong swimmer and was worried that I would miss out on snorkeling.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    So I understand, snorkeling is done with inflatable life vests? I am not a strong swimmer and was worried that I would miss out on snorkeling.
    They are regular life vests unless something has changed this year. I went snorkeling last year and they were regular life vests.

Thanks everyone!! I just ordered snorkel gear to be safe and I was thinking I could use it on the shore as well! SteveT, I cannot swim and I was still able to snorkel due to the life vest.

Thanks lovetotravel. I thought that I might miss out. Glad that's not the case.

They do require that a life vest be warn, but even if you can't swim, it's really hard to sink in salt water. Fresh water is easier to sink in. If you just lie still as in" snarklin", you'll float.

Quote Originally Posted by BarDar View Post
    They do require that a life vest be warn, but even if you can't swim, it's really hard to sink in salt water. Fresh water is easier to sink in. If you just lie still as in" snarklin", you'll float.
    Is it required that a life vest be worn at all times when snorkeling? Off the beach? Only off the boat? Or is it only if we use their equipment? My husband snorkels all the time (we live in Florida), and he dives down while snorkeling. I'm thinking if he is going to be required to wear a vest he might need to go ahead and get scuba certified beforehand to go that route instead.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyally View Post
    Is it required that a life vest be worn at all times when snorkeling? Off the beach? Only off the boat? Or is it only if we use their equipment? My husband snorkels all the time (we live in Florida), and he dives down while snorkeling. I'm thinking if he is going to be required to wear a vest he might need to go ahead and get scuba certified beforehand to go that route instead.
    2 of us took off our life vests two years ago, though it was pretty calm. They don't make you wear a vest on the catamaran ride when you jump in, though they are available, so why when snorkeling. But please be a strong swimmer.

You can't use their equipment to snorkel unless on the trip. You can't bring your own equipment when on their boat. But you can use your own equipment around the pier, island, bayside, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyally View Post
    Hi. We just returned last week and I can tell you that you are allowed to take your vest off. You can also use your own equipment as we did. The day that we went, the waters were very rough but we were told that it was much better the following day. i didn't see anyone diving while they were snorkeling so I'm not sure about that.